Addiction troubles

Alright here we go. I wasn’t going to post this because I hate just announcing it to strangers on the internet, but Im trying to be obedient and asking for others to help me pray on it.
I’ve had a habitual sin for years that I won’t go into deep detail about. I know it’s damaged me mentally, physically, and emotionally, not to mention my relationship with God. I’ll get out of the habit one day, and the next be right back in it. One day Im torn apart because I know everytime I sin again it’s the reason Jesus had to be crucified, the next I can’t even think straight because Im so focused on it. The work I do is 12 hour shifts of repetitive labor, which is the perfect breeding ground for my mind to wander back to it. Seems like the more I fight and the more I pray the more that demon is grabbing for my ankles.
I know Jesus is bigger than it. And that the old me died to sin years ago and I don’t have to do it anymore. But the temptation is so in-your-face I give in over and over.
Frankly Im tired of it. Im just asking for prayers that Christ will deal with this for me, because I can’t do it on my own. And Im hoping that being obedient and asking my brothers and sisters to pray for me will help. Thanks everybody for the understanding in advance.

34 Likes

Already praying. No judgement. Just compassion and wanted to say that Jesus can break every single chain! Jesus wil help you and you can beat this with his help. Xx Much love. Praying for you to become vey free of this.

13 Likes

Yip yip…been there…done that…still battle daily…
All of the flesh.

If it bothers you…you KNOW that you are being convicted by the Holy Spirit…

We need to keep fighting the GOOD FIGHT!! It IS a fight…

Comes to mind…

Romans 7…

4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

16 Likes

AMEN

8 Likes

Praying for you @forestcat96

Battle weariness from the ‘warring’ that Paul describes in Romans 7:23 as @Kina1234 so aptly cited.

This debilitation will be seized upon by satan to drag you down to dejection and despondence, drawing you away from dependence on Christ.

Root and rejuvenate yourself with God’s word; Romans 7 (and 8 for that matter), James 4:7, and also be reminded of Philippians 3:12:

12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.

Would also encourage you to revisit Pastor JD’s studies in Hebrews, particularly:

:bible2: Hebrews 10:1 - Jesus Did It All

For a whippersnapper of 25 years old (as per your post here) your discernment, courage and candid introspection is entirely commendable.

Yours In Christ

13 Likes

praying for you Forestcat . It was brave
to ask for prayer .

becky

10 Likes

Friend…
I too am praying that one day soon will be the last for this struggle. My heart breaks for you not just for the act itself but even more so for the disappointment you feel you are to God. That is a very heavy load to carry.
Something in your post really hit home…One day I’m torn apart because I know everytime I sin again it’s the reason Jesus had to be crucified, the next I can’t even think straight because I’m so focused on it.
That realization IS A REVELATION! I’d venture a guess that THAT is rarely even considered. YES…each stripe was payment for our sins.
My guess is that we are ALL addicted to something…lying, overeating, skin…scab or lip picking, deception, stealing, hand washing, anger, abuse, control, bad relationships and everything in between. Not all addictions can outright kill you but might dramatically effect others. While not sharing your particular addiction have several of my own that I struggle with daily so I’m truly able to empathize.

Firstly, NO ONE is blameless therefore, God doesn’t want you to hate yourself for it but rather seek HIS face with a contrite spirit, admit that you are helpless before HIM then ask for HIS help.

Just think…we will soon be free of our bodies and minds and will be be forever changed.
PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME…TODAY AND FOREVER.

12 Likes

Such hope… Maranatha

8 Likes

lifting you up in prayers :pray:

i claim victory over many addictions I’ve battled in my lifetime with God’s help, counseling, and attending Celebrate Recovery faithfully for many years. if you type “Celebrate Recovery near me” in the google search and you find one near you, i highly recommend this faith based ministry. They will welcome you with love, understanding, and compassion. The worship, support groups and fellowship are very healing. hope this helps.

7 Likes

hello forest cat…you are so loved.
Father, in Jesus’ Name, I ask You to reveal the armor of God to forest cat and especially that Your Word, against the enemy, is tried and true…undefeatable! cannot be overcome! cannot fail! Your Word is the sword of Your Spirit and I praise You for the victory of Christ i’m forest cat’s life…even today! Freedom! halleljah! where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom! Glory to God!

much love and respect for your reaching out! grace,peace and mercy in Jesus Christ our Lord!

6 Likes

Praying for you right now, @forestcat96. So many wonderful replies here. :cherry_blossom:

4 Likes

I commend your reaching out on here with honesty…

I have been wanting to do the same for weeks now.

I too have an issue…alcoholism and smoking like there is no tomorrow :disappointed_relieved:

It is terribly affecting my health… and mostly my spiritual health.

I grew up in Florida after my mom left Canada with me and my sister.

She never got my American citizenship… and to make a long story short after 38 years of living in the United States I was deported to Canada and separated from my entire family.

My three children all live in Florida… our only communication has been long distance for 14 years now.

I grew up with entire family of Alcoholics… and at the age of 13 I started using heavy drugs.

I am amazed that I am still alive…But God

I spent three years and Maximum Security Prison before I was deported.

Did not even get the opportunity to say goodbye to my family or children before I was sent on a plane to a country that I have never been to or at least that I never remembered.

And even after all of that to think that I would still drink is beyond my understanding.

However by the grace of God, I am in an amazing marriage and I am so tremendously blessed.

Unfortunately he drinks as well…

I have prayed every single day of my life to please, Lord help me to stop drinking… and I know that he knows my heart.

I cannot understand why I continue to do something that I know is not pleasing to the Lord…

But I have given it to Him… and I thank Him daily that I am not doing the drugs that I did for 25 or more years.

Things are not as I would like them to be, I would like to be perfect of course… One day…in heaven.:pray::pray:

I try to remind myself that God’s grace is sufficient… and that one day this Thorn In My Flesh will be gone.

In the meantime… I definitely struggle as you do.
With the guilt and the shame of my behavior.
Don’t get me wrong I I’m really not a bad person…(neither are you)
But I surely do wish that I could understand why some people are totally delivered instantaneously…from the sin that so easily besets us…and others are not.

But I do need to totally trust that God knows our hearts… and continue praying for that Deliverance… I will be like that persistent woman and the judge…lol

The day that I give up trying is the day that I am going to be worried…

The Holy Spirit convicts me daily… and I pray that never stops.

I also need to be careful that I am not listening to the devil’s condemnation…

Anyways I’m so sorry for the long post.

I will pray for you forestcat , and I would like to ask if everybody would please pray for me as well…

I do not drink daily however when I drink I drink myself into oblivion it seems, and that is not somewhere that I want to be anymore…:woman_facepalming::disappointed_relieved::pray:

I want to be all that God wants me to be…

Dear Lord help us…

Your Sister in Christ

7 Likes

hey forestcat96.
I admire your courage as I too at times struggle with habitual sin and know what it feels like to have that guilt of knowing that you sinned or missed the mark once again . I know the only way I can get out the rut is to come to presence of our Heavenly Father and acknowledge to Him the sin , and thank Him for His grace and mercy he shows to me each day which I know I don’t deserver but all because of what Jesus did on the cross for me. Reminded that HE Loves me and that I am not alone. Especially when I feel being attacked and negative thoughts come to remind me of marks that I have missed in life. I try go back to the WORD and read passages like Hebrews 11 of Hall of Faith and the people mentioned there. None of them were perfect either and struggled with different sin as well.

Sometimes when I get so torn i try to sing this song that I learned in Sunday School

Here are the words

Quiet My Mind

Quiet my mind, Lord,
Make me still before You;
Calm my restless heart, Lord,
Make me more like You.

(Repeat)

Raise up my hands that are hanging down;
Strengthen my feeble knees.
May Your love and joy abound,
And fill me with Your peace.

Hope this helps and you know your not alone, Stay strong in the Faith and will keep you in prayer.

3 Likes

Since Adam and Eve we all are sinners grappling with satan whispering in our ears tempting us carrot dangling imagery back to our old selves. Reading the old testament right now more thoroughly than I ever have and there is proof over and over again in history of followers of the Lord being tempted and sinning throughout the generations. “Stiff necked” they were called by the Lord and He showed patience and compassion toward those that wanted to repent always there to forgive if they repented. We are all being tested more than ever right now and more than ever right now we need to keep reaching out to our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ and draw on the word of the Lord.
Make your new addiction become reading a few verses from the bible EVERYDAY. Make it your new addiction to pick up that bible EVERY TIME you are struggling instead of reaching for your current addiction. Make Jesus your addiction filling your body and mind with HIS SPIRIT. Find some christian memes, verses that touch your heart and put them in view to refer to daily. For example in my gym room I have a powerful picture for me and my struggles of a cross with all the sins I am battling with, a hammer, a nail to nail those sins to the cross thanking Jesus each time I am in that space working out. Whatever it takes to bring you back into alignment with the Lord do it. Keeping focussed on Him and miracles happen and a BIG CHANGE happens. Sending much sisterly love and hope this message finds you in a better place. Bless you and your family.

5 Likes

okay,I am praying for you.

2 Likes

You are not alone,

and like you I “war” with this too. Trust God He WILL do it !!!

I will also pray for you as I have also done the same in asking others to pray for me.

5 Likes

I agree totally with that summation.

2 Likes

Beautiful post. And yes, all addiction is tied to trauma and pain.
Not everyone understands that.
Praying for every single one here., myself included.
Addiction issues are being totally ramped up during these perilous times.
Check out Dr Gabor Mate. Incredible man.

1 Like

Praying for God to be your strength through this. All of us at some point in our life need God to take control and handle what we can not. When you are able to finally give up all control to Him, it is life-changing. There is a program called Celebrate Recovery and it is for everything, not just addiction. If you can’t find one in your area, I’m sure they might have an online group. It is an amazing group. So many have been exactly where you are, and we need others for support. God bless you and keep us updated.
https://www.celebraterecovery.com/index.php

2 Likes

Yes and amen, the Old Testament never became as relevant to me as it has become these past two years. I knew the stories from childhood, but I never got the lessons. Such great value…

2 Likes