Are we created for something bigger? Advice of sorts

I really didn’t know who to ask but a Christian friend shared a song with me and then sent a bit of the lyrics expressing how much he loved the song. I didn’t like the song and kept reading the lyrics:
“How many of you know that God created you to fly? Listen, don’t you know that really, you’re too big for this planet. You were created for something bigger! Something greater!”

Since the lyrics bothered me and I don’t agree with them, I didn’t reply.

Question: Am I mistaken here? Does God mean more and greater for us? I thought our purpose was to be reconciled back to Him and keep His commandments. Normally I wouldn’t post something like this but it bothers me, that it bothers me. If that makes sense.

7 Likes

I can look at this in two ways, which is annoying to me alone.

• to be made for something greater could lead to us being in glorified bodies with Christ in Heaven. No longer with a sin nature.
  • to be told we were meant for something greater, is reminiscent of Satan saying similar to Eve to deceive her into eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

I lean heavily towards the latter though.

7 Likes

Thank you Jon for chiming in. You made two great points and the latter really hits the nail on the head.

I guess when I look at the message again, it feels like a motivational thing rather than biblical. “Live your best life now” etc.

4 Likes

I can see that too. It’s interesting (to me) how easy it is for Satan’s minions, interns and all, to be such cunning wordsmiths and to relay such a confusing message among the children of God [but] the message a worldly carnal individual can grasp so easily. That’s not an insult on us, mind you, rather a disappointment phrased upon the worldly.

3 Likes

What are we created for? I have always thought we were created for communion with God. Yet what comes along with that is also service where great things may happen or may not. Apostles healed the sick, raised the dead, Moses parted the Red Sea but the harlot Rahab just hid out the spies and obeyed to put the scarlet ribbon in her window. But did they do any of that? Well yes and no. It was their hands at work but the power supplied was of God. Any way that is just my observation on this. Being bigger is kind of self centeredness which Jesus told the disciples when they aske who would be the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Jesus’ reply was along the lines he who is the most humble. Even Jesus washed the feet of His disciples. It really isn’t about us.

7 Likes

I agree with all comments, especially when Jon and Jack both pointed out that it was focusing on self. We were created for His good pleasure. We worship Him in the working of our faith in this life He has given us. That also brings God pleasure and in return, He provides for our every need according to His will and the riches in glory. I couldn’t ask for anything greater than that except spending eternity worshipping Him. AND I get to do that too! Oh Happy Day!

8 Likes

I chuckled out loud at “interns” :smile:

2 Likes

:clap: Love this. Very well said.

2 Likes

“I couldn’t ask for anything greater than that except spending eternity worshipping Him”

:purple_heart::pray: Yes indeed!

3 Likes

@Rell

To me, we were created for one thing…fellowship.

First, with Him. Then, with one another.

Goal - To reveal Christ is the “something bigger.”

The mighty acts of the great heroes of the Old Testament were not about themselves but about acting “by faith” in the promise of the Christ to come.

When the likeness of His Son is revealed in our character, conversation, and conduct to those around us, He is glorified.

We inadvertently become legalists when we are more concerned with works and behavior than with Christ’s work on our hearts. The primary message of the Bible, as it heralds us to Jesus Christ, is that the work is already done.

As God’s child and Jesus’ disciple, we can do nothing apart from Jesus. Therefore, everything we do is about God and about Jesus – it’s not about us!

“He picked a bunch of earthen vessels in which to put His treasure, so that the surpassing greatness of the power would be of God and not from any man. The fact that He used such humanly unimpressive men should give us hope that perhaps He can use common people like us to help further His kingdom.”

“How amazing it is to be creatures who are “crowned with glory and honor” (Psalm 8:5) of bearing and multiplying God’s great name and His likeness.”

(Maybe there’s a takeway, from all the great comments in this thread, to share with your friend. Since your friend “opened the door,” might as well walk through :grin: :wink: :+1:)

5 Likes

Thank you Denise for you wonderful and thorough response! :pray::purple_heart: You made some wonderful points and connections. I appreciate it.

2 Likes

@Rell

You’re welcome :sunflower:!

1 Like

This sounds like a song Joel Osteen would blast in his church to amp up the crowd before his cushy sermon about how great we all are and how God is going to reveal our potential that we didn’t know we had.

I always wonder how these songs apply to believers in third world countries who are in prison being starved, beaten, tortured etc or those going underground to worship knowing they could be martyred. Is that the “ greater” things God has for them?

I’m not saying Christian songs can’t motivate, encourage or even make us feel good but some of the lyrics in many come across as just syrupy gobbledygook.

8 Likes

:dart: to all of this! :clap: :star2:

You know what stuck in my head? Greater and bigger than what? We are creations of God’s and His children, seems pretty great already. It feels like it implies that it isn’t enough. It does come off as humble :woman_shrugging:

We feel good when we praise the Lord with song and thankfully there are songs that do that and still scripturally sound.

2 Likes

“You’re too big for this planet.” That sounds like an appeal to human pride and arrogance. It reminds me of the ideology that says humans should colonize Mars . . . even though God never gave us Mars and never granted us dominion over any other planets.

So what does the Bible say?

• Human Beings are literally made out of dirt from planet Earth. God molded man from the dust of the Earth, blew into his nostrils, and humanity was created.
  • When we die, we return to the dust from which we were created.
  • The Bible refers to us as “jars of clay.” Why? A reminder that we are earthen vessels made from the dirt/clay of the ground from planet Earth.
  • Scripture repeatedly says, “Humble thyself in the sight of the Lord, and He shall lift you up.” Over and over again, the theme throughout Scripture is that we should HUMBLE ourselves, remembering that we are dust and that God is God. Pride and arrogance are sins to be avoided, not celebrated.
  • In Genesis, God grants Adam and Eve dominion over planet EARTH – including dominion over the beasts of the field and the birds of the air and the creatures in the sea. God grants them dominion to rule over planet EARTH and subdue it. Nowhere in Scripture does God grant man dominion over Mars, Jupiter, Neptune, or any other planets.
  • Yes, the Bible does talk about a New Heaven and a New Earth. These will be part of an entirely new creation, after the current creation is destroyed by God. Nothing about that means God has given us dominion over any other planets.

So I understand your uneasiness with these song lyrics. This song appeals to the arrogance of the human ego – putting SELF as the focal point instead of God. While God is mentioned, it is only as a supportive role in the worship of the individual.

I think a true Christian song would help remind us of our sinful state, our need for a savior, and the sacrifice made by Jesus on the cross. A true Christian song should leave us with an attitude of humility and thankfulness and looking to Christ Jesus for our redemption. The lyrics you’ve posted, however, just talk about how awesome man is – as if awesome is just our default nature. There is nothing in there about original sin, our need for a saviour, or the redemptive work of the cross. I don’t see anything there about Jesus or the sacrifice He made.

Sounds like deception masquerading under the label of Christianity.

5 Likes

Boy, you hit the nail on the head with that quote, Stephanie. Such a good comment to share with anyone who thinks that man is anything but a glorified, overpaid motivational speaker. That is so offensive to say things like that to someone who is really going thru it, huh? I guarantee if he ever had the chance to go into those prisons to speak to someone, he wouldn’t know what to say. His big white teeth would prolly fall out!! Shame on him for his false doctrine!

4 Likes

Thank you SO much for the thorough and on point answer! I sure do love this forum because it is full of so many knowledgeable people. I feel much better about the situation and have walked away with a deeper understanding. God bless you! :pray:

1 Like

You nailed it 100%!

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. - Ecclesiastes 12:13

3 Likes

Thank you Paula! :smiley: :heart: :pray:

1 Like

Based solely on the lyrics that you posted what jumps out at me is The Rapture :blush:

It says that literally you’re going to fly ie be snatched away by Jesus. This has always been God’s intention for you. And it also says, this world is finite, your overall existence is grander than this time on Earth and your trajectory is ultimately taking you to a greater life with Him.
This is under the condition that Jesus is your reality :heart_eyes: of course. A life fully surrendered to Him is a life that goes beyond this life.

That’s my take on it anyway :blush::+1:t4:

4 Likes