Are we there yet? ( what possibly needs to be added to this question?)

Good explanation but I am sure some of the early settlers didn’t really use clocks or watches.
They watched the sun and moon to get their time. The roosters told them when to get up or the other animals making a ruckus for breakfast because they were all awake. Hee hee.
So I guess city folks wanted to know when to visit or call on the farmers so they invented clocks and now we are stuck turning them forwards and backwards every few months year after year. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That’s my splaining and I is stickin to it. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

Yeaaaaaaah, no. I’d have to say…no. :smiley: Hand-me-down watches were a thing, pocket watches. Sun dials had to be set properly and if you didn’t know how to use it, you were boned. And let’s just forget using it on cloudy days. Moon didn’t help them none either as they were asleep by time it was useful to watch the moon for anything. Their kids on the other hand…whippersnappers. I digress though. And then the ever faithful Neighbor Mr. Hubbard makin’ sure your dog wasn’t on their property in the morning. Smell of Burger King breakfasts being made and McDonald’s drive thru orders cloggin up the dirt roads to the fields…oh, sorry wrong setting.

6 Likes

Yeah well those hand me down watches didn’t work half the time especially if you forgot to wind them up. And those grandfather clocks were a real b-mmer to hall around on the field. Then you had to cover them with plastic in case in rained because you didn’t want to ruin the beautiful finish on them that grandpa took years making. Oh yeah, plastic wasn’t invented yet, so you covered them with Grandma’s hand made quilt and then Grandma was ready to tar and feather you for using her best go to Sunday meeting quilt out in the rain.
So on cloudy days they didn’t bother planting - just feeding them hungry critters whenever they sqaked or mooed, or clucked or whatever critters do. Then when the sun come up, they knew it was time to be out in the field again. When the sun went down they knew it was quitting time. It’s them city folks that messed up the whole thing with them there Burger Kings and them there McDonald drive through things. The horse and buggy weren’t allowed in there and the next thing they needed was them machines to drive around in and scare all the horses. Then Mrs. Hubbard couldn’t find any food because Mr. hubards blasted dog ate it all.

6 Likes

This reminds me of road trips to visit grandparents when we were very young. When we asked how much longer it would be, mom would tell us in blocks of time we could relate to and accept like “about 4 more Scooby Doo episodes”.

Of course that was way before the tech age we live in now where kids can actually watch so many episodes while traveling. They’re so spoiled, in more ways than one. For instance, we would actually talk about the new and crazy things we saw along the way. Like the couple hundred miles or so stretch of billboards alerting travelers to Pedro’s ‘South of the Border’ in South Carolina. A quirky, tacky bit of roadside Americana, but we would keep watching for the billboards to break up the monotony of passing guard rails, have a laugh and be reminded of the promise of souvenir gift shops and fireworks ahead. :grin:

“two weeks” is kinda the same for me–a good laugh and reminder that I’m a little bit closer and on the right road, so just keep looking up for the next sign.

P.S. for anyone not familiar with South of the Border here are a few of their billboards.

3842770385_782325406c_z
fd077fec5cd545ec7c4409cd45f13e99--south-of-the-border-sayings

3843562742_3910a5ff2d_z

8 Likes

Exceptional analogy and perfect recollection of my meaning! Awesome!

4 Likes

Not to mention trying to move the stones twice yearly at stonehenenge…

6 Likes

Ha Ha ha
download

6 Likes

10 Likes

download (4)

8 Likes

8 Likes

Y’know, I’ve missed what the 2 weeks was all about somehow. Please enlighten.

5 Likes

Explained above in post #46 :smile:

7 Likes

download 5

9 Likes

10 Likes

Today would be such a good day! It’s cold and dreary and windy. And the last 24 hours were especially tiring

5 Likes

I agree. I’m totally ready to go anytime now. Soon we shall meet Him in the air. It will be the perfect time. We can be sure of that.

5 Likes

Yes.
I know this may sound weird, but we walk in our town cemetery cause it has lots of little inclines and it’s quiet.
I get heavy hearted because it is filling up faster in the past year. They just opened a new section. My mother in law is there since September and already she’s got several "neighbors ". How many more before we meet the Lord? As we get closer to His return we have to look harder beyond this fallen world to “see” what awaits us on the other side.

6 Likes

I’m sorry for your recent lost.
Hang in there. It wouldn’t be long now. I am hoping perhaps this spring because Spring is a time of new beginnings and also because of the Song of Solomon. I think he married in the Spring. Also we are nearing Easter - a perfect time to Rise at the same time our Lord did. Or then there is just before Pentecost when our Lord ascended.
I know we can’t know the day or hour but I still keep looking and hoping for a day really really soon. Now would be great.
I feel I am at the end of my rope and can’t hang on much longer. Each day brings us just one day closer.
Don’t let the enemy get you down. He wants to discourage us. We know how it ends and Jesus wins. Hallelujah.

8 Likes

Thank you. I think we all here feel like we’re hanging by a thread. Evil has been unleashed like we have never seen it and at times it feels like this evil is overtaking us. It’s in everything.
For me it takes a great deal of energy to stay focused on the Lord. I ask Him to carry the burden and to help me pray without ceasing and trust without strife.
Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

9 Likes

tenor

8 Likes