🐋 Big fish and tiny coins and stones, oh my! What has God used to teach and remind you of himself?

I bet Jonah never laid eyes upon a huge fish again without remembering how God kept him from fleeing his will. Neither was it easy for those taught by Jesus to ever look at a Roman coin again without his words echoing in their mind, “Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.”

Spoon rings and forget-me-nots are stories for another day, but yesterday God did it again. I do so love it when I’m actually paying attention! :blush:

I had planned to walk a few miles through our neighborhood with my youngest, but last minute she opted to stay home. Fine with me as it ended up being a refreshing time for me to think, worship & pray uninterrupted. As I walked, I praised and thanked God for the things that I could, but my thoughts were heavy with the weight of increasing darkness in our world and how so many of us are feeling it. Those thoughts turned to prayers for so many of you in your circumstances–illness or pain, loneliness, anxiety, rejection, threats of harm, unsaved loved ones, death of loved ones, moving, job loss and so much more.

As I was passing a small graveyard, I prayed, “Lord, we are growing so weary in the wait, and some days we just feel like we’re going to fall apart. Please help us to stay close to you until you send Jesus, our bridegroom.”

Looking down at the time ('cuz you know, I’m over a half century old now and supposed to be mindful of my footing) I saw a black metal object at the edge of the grass. At first I thought it was a ring handle and maybe God was telling me, “Hold on, my timing is perfect, just keep holding on.” Upon closer inspection though, I discovered it was a linchpin and a perfect reminder and answer from God.
“Literally, a linchpin is the pin that goes through the axle of a wheel to keep it in place, but linchpin can be used to mean an important part of anything, the thing that holds it all together.”

Joshua 4:21-24
21 He said to the sons of Israel, “When your children ask their fathers in time to come, saying, ‘What are these stones?’ 22 then you shall inform your children, saying, ‘Israel crossed this Jordan on dry ground.’ 23 “For the LORD your God dried up the waters of the Jordan before you until you had crossed, just as the LORD your God had done to the Red Sea, which He dried up before us until we had crossed; 24 that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the LORD is mighty, so that you may fear the LORD your God forever.”

So, :whale2: Big fish and tiny coins and _____, oh my! What has God used to teach and remind YOU of himself?

11 Likes

I love your post and thank you for sharing it. At the moment I lost my linchpin. Hee Hee. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
My mind is blank. Perhaps I will come back later and share something. Thanks for sharing.

7 Likes

Beautiful thoughts, Paula!

It was the year that my mom died. There are various things that are iconic, regarding my mom, and autumn colors (oranges and yellows, especially) fit right in. That summer, God saw to it to delight me with orange and yellow butterflies beyond the typical. On one occasion, I was mowing the grass and I suddenly became surrounded with dozens of Monarch-type butterflies. This wasn’t a spot that I would consider to be a butterfly habitat, but here they all were! Mom would have loved that. That same summer, a little yellow butterfly—the type that you see in vegetable gardens (white or yellow), landed on my gooseneck kitchen faucet and stayed there for hours. I apparently didn’t frighten it at all. In fact, if I recall, it stayed in that same spot overnight. Again, such a reminder of my mom and such a hug from God.:butterfly:

8 Likes

One day I was going to our local store to do grocery shopping. Along the way I saw a lilac bush in full bloom. I love lilacs and the smell of them. I thought to myself, ‘oh I wish I had some scissors or something so I could pick myself a nice bouquet of lilacs’. It was just one of those passing thoughts.
I went in and did my shopping.

When I came out, there was a city crew, trimming branches on that very lilac bush. I went up to them and asked if I could pick some of the flower they cut off. They picked a bunch up for me and handed me a nice bouquet.
I was so excited. I walked home thanking God that he provided me with a bouquet of lilacs. He knew my hearts desire and arranged to provide it for me.
God cares about every little thing we care about. Nothing is too big or too small.

12 Likes

Oh sure, God sends you delicate butterflies and I get misplaced, rusty hardware. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

What a memorable gift God gave you though, I love it! :two_hearts:

7 Likes

Oh my goodness, @DallasT the sweetness of God!!! As much as you were delighting in those flowers, HE must have been delighting in your joy of his creation and thankfulness toward him. :bouquet:

7 Likes

I love rust! We’ll call it patina!

7 Likes

That’s beautiful Merrilee. :blush:

The one for me that stands out is similar in that it’s relative to my mom’s passing also, just before the plandemic.

She passed away just a few days before my birthday, but because my sister had a cruise scheduled, she wasn’t laid to rest until a month later. I was very upset about the delay and it was also out of state. We had a memorial service for her (for us and her church family) in Tennessee then my sister had another gravesite service out of state when she got back. So I didn’t get to go to my mom’s gravesite until a couple months later.

My mom’s favorite verse was Isaiah 40:31…

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

She had dozens of eagle figures at her place and we had them at her memorial in TN.

:eagle: :eagle:

On the way to her gravesite there were two eagles circling over our vehicle as we got close to the cemetery and then again after the gravesite visit when we stopped by a lake in a state park that was named after her uncle. It made the trip so much more comforting as if The Lord’s reassurance was “she will rise and be okay.” Can’t wait to see her again.

9 Likes

I’ve got a few events over my life in which I know it’s God revealing himself.

My father told me when I was about 2 or 3 I was outside and had fallen in a bucket head first. The bucket had only a few inches of water but enough I could’ve drowned. He happened to glance outside and see my legs and feet sticking straight up. Well, thanks be to God my dad looked when he did because if it were much longer, I wouldn’t be here!

At age 24 I was working at a veterinary clinic. I decided to apply for a job listing as a medical records clerk in a specialty office in Boulder, Colorado. My husband told me to stay at the vet. I sent a resume anyway, got called for an interview for the next night. I went and interviewed directly with the head gastroenterologist of the practice. I ended up working there for 8 years starting as the records girl and but ended up as his head nurse.

After my son was born, we had 4 of us living in a 780 square for house with 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom in Lafayette , Colorado.
We definitely needed more room. My husband cam home from work one evening and said for some reason he decided to drive through a town called Erie, Colorado which was about 5 minutes from Lafayette.
He saw a raised ranch for sale. But he was worried about money and moving and decided not to look into this house that was for sale.
So, I decided to call the realtor on the sale sign.
I got the info in the house and told me husband “ let’s just look anyway “. Well, we went a few days later and the day we viewed it, we put a contract down. We lived there for 8 years before moving to our current residence in Idaho.

My nursing job started to wear me out so I started looking for a job in which I could be more involved and physically present for my kids who were still little. The husband threatened me with divorce if I quit the nursing profession.

I as usual knew what I needed to do. I looked around at local schools to try to get a job. As I was picking up my kids one day from Erie Elementary a friend mentioned in the parking lot that Erie Elementary was looking to hire a para educator ASAP ! I went back in and asked the principal about the opening. She interviewed me and offered me the job. I worked at my kid’s school for 2 years until we moved to Idaho.
That decision ended up with me having 18 years of child education experience, earning my CDA ( a type of associates degree specific to early childhood education, specializing in preschool age children). My husband has since that threat to leave now says, going to work in the schools because of my kids was the best decision I made.

Sorry, last one… ( promise) ! My parents divorced after 39 years of marriage. They still lived together though for financial stability
( crazy story for another time)
So they lived in a retirement mobile home park near Tampa , Florida. Factors such as raising a family, distance, work etc didn’t allow me to visit them often usually only about every 3 or so years.
In 2018, I had no intention of visiting them. We were already planning a trip to Pennsylvania to see my husband’s family. But something prompted me to go visit. My husband was not too keen on spending money on 2 trips for me. Me being me, I went anyway ( hubby finally gave in). So August of 2017 I ended up for a week in Tampa. I exercise at a gym every day so out there I had to just walk the mobile home park. I didn’t mind as Florida is gorgeous. But I’m rigid ( really???:joy:) and one morning my dad asked if he could come. He was dealing with copd and couldn’t walk far so he ride a scooter. Of course I’m wanting to WALK as in a pace considered exercising but I couldn’t with my dad tootling slowly. I told myself just enjoy the time with him as I don’t see him often enough and he’s elderly. We had the best walk ever, talking and laughing.
I also was concerned about his salvation. He was not much of a spiritual leader ( my mom held that role) but he did go to church occasionally. So while in Florida I asked him point blank if he believed what Jesus did and if he knew he was going to heaven. He said he did.
5 months later end of January 2018, I got a call from him and he sounded off. Well, a couple days after that phone call he had passed away from complications from his copd.
It was difficult because I didn’t get to say my goodbyes. But … if I had not paid attention to that thought to go visit them when I did , I wouldn’t have seen him at all. If I had not sacrificed that one walk I would’ve missed out on that last, joyful memory I had with him.

My point in all these stories…
No, I’m not advocating ladies to ignore the husband :joy::joy:. However, I am saying to pay attention to that “ still small voice “ in your mind, heart, or pit of the stomach because there is probably a reason for it.

In my case, my stubbornness has proven to be a positive trait ( mostly :grin:). Yes, I do respect and listen to my husband but as you can tell, I am like a cat which many of you have teased me about being like. Those cat like traits that I apparently possess have done me and my family some good!

I know this was extremely long but in my life I had so many God moments to not share the most memorable ones. So “ MEOW “ :smile_cat: , that’s feline for “ THANKS” to all who made it through my post.

9 Likes

Delightful. There is poetry to your life Stephanie. Like a dance God leads you in. You are senstive to His ripe opportunities. A playful heart in Him (Proverbs 15:15b) :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing.

8 Likes

Oh my! Tony, that is also quite special. Our Lord is so loving, indeed.

8 Likes

Never apologize for sharing those God moments and giving us a good reminder to be sensitive to his still small voice. I loved reading them. :two_hearts:

8 Likes

Two more God winks I have kept in picture form.

After six months into the plandemic lockdowns & mandates, October 2020 was an oppressive time for me. Add presidential political feeding frenzy and satanic Halloween on the horizon and I just didn’t feel like going out anywhere. However, I did need to grocery shop for my family and my parents so “ya gotta do what ya gotta do”. I remember going through the store masked with everyone paranoid about sanitizer and six feet and TP. After passing the seasonal halloween display, I knew the dvd section was just ahead with so much R rated evil there too. With a heavy heart I started lamenting to God and I know he was already expecting it because when I glanced down the dvd aisle this is what I saw…

What?! Four ad boards in a row for ‘I Can Only Imagine’? The movie had been out for over two years already at that point.

A couple weeks later I took my youngest to the zoo. We hadn’t been anywhere fun in so long she was looking forward to it, but I was still having a hard time with the aforementioned oppression. As we walked the jackolantern adorned pathways (having to mask outdoors) and read signs hinting at evolution and climate change, again I was lamenting to the Lord on the increasing evil and deception. He knew I was going to need a gentle reminder that he was with me and was the Truth amidst the deception, so as we strolled through the Rainforest building, we saw this huge sign right out in the middle where it couldn’t be missed.

I was instantly drawn to it because the older tribesman on the right reminded me of Mincaye, one of the men who killed 5 missionaries including Jim Elliot and Nate Saint back in the '50s. I read the bottom and sure enough, the Waorani tribe, but when I noticed the younger man’s necklace I was humbled by God’s overwhelming goodness and love toward me.

Jesus Es La Verdad = Jesus Is The Truth!

If you’re not familiar with the story, Steven Curtis Chapman did a phenomenal job of not only recounting the story with video and his songs, but sharing the rest of the story beyond the killings to modern day. I went to this concert and after watching and hearing Nate and Mincaye there has never been any doubt in my mind that God is real and he is in the business of radically changing lives every day.

4 Likes

This is SUCH an encouraging thread! I want to comment on each post, but I know I’ll fail to keep up with that. BUT, I am reading and thrilling over God’s hand upon each one of us—tailor-made!

7 Likes

Morning Paula @pbandj and @redeemed1 and @DallasT,

We’re all having coffee together this morning. Really enjoying the companionship, thanks.

I was gonna read all the posts before adding my own cuz I’m kinda with Dallas on this— I don’t really have an item to describe like Paula. But @redeemed1 offered the quintessential lynchpin— our Lord and Savior Yeshua (and I was compelled to add my two cents here, lol).

Paula, I didn’t recognize what the pin was at first (older eyes that my glasses don’t fully help, lol). I thought it was a magnifying glass, which sent my mind thinking of looking closer and magnifying our Lord. So in a way, I was kinda walking with you…. Thanks for starting this thread. Looking forward to reading more of the posts.
Shalom ladies. May your day be filled with laughter, love and Jesus!

4 Likes

Aww, God sent you flowers (I type with tears in my eyes). What an amazing gift!

3 Likes

More tears this morning.

When my mother passed she was cremated. My sister and I took her ashes to her favorite fishing pier (she lived near the beach). A gust of wind came up as we were tossing her ashes. My sister remarked, “Gonna have to wash our mom right out of our hair!” It was (similar to) a line from one of my mom’s favorite musicals.
In the middle of her memorial, the church phone rang. The pastor said, “It’s probably Edith calling to telling us we forgot something.” The whole church broke out in laughter. That was my mom….

6 Likes

@GR I love it when God brings us joy–and even laughter–at times when satan would like us to be mourning in despair, without hope. :heart:

4 Likes

Hey all, I got to take another solitude walk today and decided to use it again for much needed prayer. (I have the opposite problem @Stephmerm had with her dad’s scooter. My daughter is not wanting to walk with me because I slow her down. Her wheelchair goes 6 mph and she’s always saying, “Mom…you’re only going 3!” But I refuse to jog and ruin my knees.:rofl:)

Not far along, I encountered a tiny little butterfly that landed near me and I was able to get a close up picture. It wasn’t orange or yellow, but it reminded me of @Gracings Merrilee’s God story.

We don’t have lilacs in bloom here yet, but farther along my walk I saw these cute bunches of purple & white hyacinths reminding me of God’s bouquet to @DallasT.

Now @Romans1013 Tony’s eagles…I really wanted to see one at this point but was skeptical. He saw 3 in one day and I’ve probably only seen 3 in my life. I continued on my walk for another 45 minutes when all of a sudden I heard a noise above me. I looked up just in time to see the underside of a low soaring…
military cargo plane. :confused:
I couldn’t get my camera out fast enough and can’t say for sure, but maybe it was this one. :wink:

6 Likes

Morning Steph @Stephmerm,
Lovely memories; thanks for sharing. I’m glad you’re such a Godly woman.
But one thing bothers me… you apologized for your post being so long— and it’s about the length of most of mine, lol. I always was a talker….
On another subject, I’m so glad you got to spend the Holy Day with your boys.

5 Likes