Christmas...mixed feelings about how to celebrate this year. Any ideas?

In light of where we are on the prophetic timeline, and if we are still here at Christmas, I’m finding that I just don’t have much interest this year in celebrating a traditional Christmas–looking back to Jesus’ first coming as a baby 2,000ish years ago seems so insignificant in light of his imminent return & second coming. I guess it seems like instead of a birthday party we should be throwing a welcome back party. Or a mixture of both. I’d rather focus on his soon second coming, but how to do that (& in a fun way for the kids)…any ideas on how to refocus old Christmas traditions, like advent countdown, etc? (not knowing the day or hour, can’t exactly count down to meeting him in the air) Serious, silly, whatever, let the brainstorming begin…

8 Likes

This sort of has nothing to do with what you are asking but I thought it might fit in here.
Did you know that the song ‘Joy to the World’, is not really a Christmas Carol? It is a song talking about the return of Christ.

It was written and published by Isaac Watts in 1719, and is a paraphrase of Psalms 98.

1 Sing to the Lord a new song,
for he has done marvelous things;
his right hand and his holy arm
have worked salvation for him.
2 The Lord has made his salvation known
and revealed his righteousness to the nations.
3 He has remembered his love
and his faithfulness to Israel;
all the ends of the earth have seen
the salvation of our God.

4 Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth,
burst into jubilant song with music;
5 make music to the Lord with the harp,
with the harp and the sound of singing,
6 with trumpets and the blast of the ram’s horn—
shout for joy before the Lord, the King.

7 Let the sea resound, and everything in it,
the world, and all who live in it.
8 Let the rivers clap their hands,
let the mountains sing together for joy;
9 let them sing before the Lord,
for he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness
and the peoples with equity.

I love “Joy to the World.” I rejoice to sing of our Lord’s return. I just wish most people understood what it is we’re singing about.

14 Likes

Christmas has always been my favorite time of the year. It brings up a lot of nostalgia and great memories for me. So inspite of all the chaos in this world I still look forward to it. True, it may not elicit the same feelings of joy and happiness it once did. But for me, it’s a bright spot in this dark dreary world. So if the Lord dosn’t return before hand, I plan on celebrating it the best I can.

13 Likes

I hope you meant celebrating it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: this made me chuckle because my words get changed so much from stupid autocorrect :woman_facepalming:t3::woozy_face:

5 Likes

Yes, stupid auto correct haha could of been a worse typo I guess. :laughing: there we go, that makes more sense. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Well, to be honest I was gonna ask you how does one calibrate it :thinking:
Then I thunked, hmmmm he might’ve been autocorrected…:grimacing:

3 Likes

Well… it depends, do you have a manual tree or an automatic? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Bahaahaa I guess you could say it was an automatic one…I tell the family where to put it and they automatically put it there :speak_no_evil::joy:

7 Likes

unnamed
“Its just too soon to tell if families can gather for Christmas.” - Fauci, Face the Nation 10/3/2021
:hushed::rage:

Ya know what? I think I just got my joy back!!! :wink: Gonna celebrate loud & clear that my Savior came & that he’s coming back again for us soon!!!

I got a kick out of this article I found from last year…

The Fauci Who Stole Christmas

The original grinch, as everyone knows, did not succeed in ruining Christmas—and neither should the Fauci.

“Every WuFlu down in WuFluville liked Christmas a lot…

But The Fauci, who lived in a very busy home-based TV studio north of WuFluville, did NOT!

The Fauci hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!

(The Fauci also hated Easter, high school graduations, weddings, summer vacations, restaurants and bars, churches, college football games, Thanksgiving, and every venue of happiness and human interaction.)

Now, please don’t ask why.
No one except public health “experts” and Chris Cuomo quite know the reason.

It could be his head wasn’t screwed on just right.
It could be, perhaps, that his homemade face mask was too tight.

But I think the most likely reason of all,

May have been that his insatiable lust for appearances on “The View,” features in glossy fashion magazines, and his unchallenged dominance over 330 million WuFlus in WuFluville made his heart two sizes too small.”

10 Likes
1 Like

We celebrate sukot with gifts every day and a week of games and a feast. I did this to compete w Xmas for the sake of the kids. Sukot has passed but it is biblical to do it again just to praise the almighty. It about the :purple_heart:

4 Likes

The most important is to celebrate with your family around you. We play a game which every one enjoys, roaring with laughter. Its called the pirate game, a swap game, we buy a funny or useful gift no more than $10. Look it up for the rules. We have fun! HUGS

5 Likes

Redeemed777 used to be my email address!!

2 Likes

For many years now, we don’t gift give one another. I send the granddaughter and great grandson a gift card, he sends his grown daughters and grandkids a check. We usually take a trip to SC for 6 weeks or more in the winter so that is our Christmas. We go to my home church and it is such a blessing. Verse by verse teaching. To me, it is all about Jesus.

5 Likes

interesting thank you for this.

1 Like

Hello,
I have struggled with how to celebrate Christmas as well. A few years ago I printed off the entire biblical account of the birth of Jesus from Matthew and Luke. I also included prophetic verses from Isaiah as well as verses of His second coming (not the rapture…to show the final victory). Then I cut them into cards, numbered them in order, and laminated them. Every year, I use masking tape or post-it notes to attach the name of the gift recipient to the back of the cards. I’m not fancy :-). That way the names can be removed and the cards used again the following year. We distribute the gifts in order by number, and each person reads the Bible passage on their card before opening their gift. When all the gifts are gone, we finish reading the remaining cards. It takes a little longer, but it helps keep the focus on Jesus, past present and future.

6 Likes

We have not been celebrating Christmas for over 20yrs. It is our belief that the celebrations on Christmas is a pagan tradition. Jesus’ birth was never recorded and He never told us when He was born or to celebrate His birth. It is believed that Jesus was born late September, early October. He did ask us to remember His death when we partake in communion. If possible we just get the kids together and have a normal family day, no gifts, no trimmings, etc. A lot of people feel different but this is just how we feel. I cannot honour my Lord by partaking in the traditions of a pagan day. Blessings always.

8 Likes

Thanks for this. I just checked online for the rules, sounds like fun. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Last time we celebrated was 2019. Christmas eve church service, followed by light touring and then home. The silliness in me decided that our family needed to laugh more. I bought inexpensive gifts from the dollar store such as chocoates, socks, hand lotion, mugs, water bottle, and even a can of meat called Holiday lunch meat( knock off spam) I asked everyone for extra gift bags to put the items in. After Christmas dinner, instead of everyone staring at their phones, I hosted an auction using monopoly money. We all laughed, had a good noisy time and couldn’t believe my sister spent a hundred thousand dollars on knock of spam. I haven’t laughed too much since my daughter had breast cancer, my other daughter got out of an abusive marriage with 2 babies in tow, and both my parents and husband parents and his sister passing, among close frends and other relatives. I haven’t laughed much since that Christmas. Not sure we will gather together to laugh again. Not sure if I will celebrate Christmas ever.

4 Likes

i do love listening to this precious song every Christmas. always brings streaming down tears :heart:

2 Likes