🕊 EASTER! - old hymns, contemporary worship, memories, traditions...share what's most meaningful & memorable to you (celebrating JESUS CHRIST, not the bunny)

I have never been a morning person but as a kid, once a year our church held an outdoor Easter sunrise service and breakfast. We would get up insanely early to help set up because mom was on the social committee. One of the things i enjoyed were the Easter hymns because we only sang them that time of year so it made it extra special. Here are a few…

He Arose

Christ the Lord is Risen Today

He Lives

2 Likes

My favorite memory after our family came to know the Lord was hearing my dad singing “He Lives, He Lives, Christ Jesus lives today.” He wasn’t the greatest singer but he would go around the house belting that song out with all his heart. I miss hearing him do that.

4 Likes

Oh, DallasT that was my brother’s favorite song. He would sing it so loudly and with such enthusiasm. It is a great memory of my brother. Thank you for reminding me. It has been a while since he died and I had forgotten.

He is the blonde in the middle.

5 Likes

I remember the fellowship with my family and at church. The excitement of seeing all the people dressed in their best. Wondering over all the children and how they seemed to transform into their best selves. As if we all arose with Christ that morning and celebrated the rebirth of spirit and nature. After service walking outside and feeling the spring sunshine as it illuminated the new blooms. Reminding us that all things are made new through him!:blush::two_hearts::heart:

3 Likes

Aweee. He was such a cutey. So sorry you lost him but soon you will see him again, I am sure. Thanks for sharing the picture. Hugs to you. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :two_hearts:

2 Likes

As a young girl I remember I shopping for an Easter dress and getting up early for the sunrise service :heart:

3 Likes

QUESTION: Have you ever made a crown of thorns? Personally? From actual thorns? It’s one of the most humbling (and painful) experiences you’ll ever have. (I’ve never had a baby, but aside from that….)

If your church doesn’t use one, you might want to consider giving them one. If you do not have access to thorn bushes or trees and would like a crown of thorns for your cross at church, I’d be happy to make and send you one. PM me and we will make arrangements.

I’m not asking for money or anything else— I just think it’s worth suggesting/offering.

3 Likes

That does sound like a tough thing to do. Do you have a picture of one?

Morning Matthew @eerfan510,
I’m sorry I don’t have a pic but I can tell you how I made it. I used tender young limbs of the Huisache tree (pronounced wee-satch), stripped of leaves and flowers. Pics below— but any thorny limb would probably work.

For a form, a cooking pot about the size of your head turned upside down is ideal. It’s gonna be stable and the right size. Use it to form first circle, after that you won’t use it. You’ll wrap the other limbs around the first in an under-and-over motion. The first circle of thorns needs to be secured so it will keep its shape. A bread tie or small twisty of some sort works well. I weave (wrap around) a second layer around entire first circle. The the same for third/last circle. Remove twisty.

Be careful— those thorns hurt a LOT if you get poked (and you will, which is the humbling part). The spots you get poked will hurt for several days— and I guarantee each time you feel an pain, you’ll think of Jesus and be a bit more aware of the pain of His sacrifice.

The first crown I made I left plain. The next year I made another and used some blood colored paint on a few of the thorns for a more realistic replica. I was afraid the people at church (very opinionated and tptb) would hate it. To my surprise, they liked it better.

1 Like

Thanks for the steps. The scenes of the cross have bothered me for much of my life. I was saved at 10 due to the Easter plays our church would do. That was in 1995. Not until two years ago did I really grow in Christ. Spent many years in between being very carnal. Thank God for His grace and mercy but I do not deserve it. Thanks again for sharing this! God bless you!

1 Like

Lovely pic of family Matthew!

Thank you!!!

Me too! I remember one year I found a pale blue floral dress with flutter sleeves. Loved it! I felt like Maria VonTrapp in her party dress.

This year I guess my mind is preoccupied with other things…like “today you will be with me in paradise”. I found this in an online thrift store and couldn’t resist…:smile:

Yep, wearin’ it for Easter! :hawaiianshirt_2: :grin: :hawaiianshirt_3: :grin: :hawaiianshirt_4: :grin: :hawaiianshirt_1:

2 Likes

Thank you to our Lord and Savior :heart:

4 Likes

4 Likes

@Flamingogirl49563
Which one is you?

1 Like

I remember having to wear Easter dresses that were short with Bobby socks and Mary Jane shoes. We lived in Michigan @ It was still cold up there on Easter! I froze my little legs off cause I was supposed to look cute :heart_eyes:.

2 Likes

I am the toe head to the left. It’s hard to tell in black and white, though. My girlfriend Susan is Eskimo and was adopted by our neighbors. Her brother Rex is the one on the back of my bike.

2 Likes

Nice picture. Good memories of childhood.

2 Likes