Eating Mushrooms

The last couple days we’ve been out looking at mushrooms. We found some bright orange ones that apparently are Lobster mushrooms. After some research we came to the conclusion they were safe. We fried some up and tried them. That was two days ago and I’m still alive.:rofl:
Anyone else forage for edibles in the woods?

6 Likes

Part of my current studies is foraging. Mushrooms being part of this. Not judging my ability to be correct on this yet to try it though.

4 Likes

@Glen Glad you are alive and well and not hallucinating. I cannot wait to see what responses your mushroom discussion brings!

2 Likes

I can’t seem to post pictures or I would post a picture of the ones we found. In times like these I think it’s important to find food sources God has provided. I’m just terrified to try new things. Yikes. I don’t need to get sick.:flushed:

3 Likes

Hi Glen - love fungi foraging! Though not necessarily for consumption as I’m nowhere near confident enough in my knowledge to safely identify some of the edibles - very glad to hear you emerged unscathed from your lobster encounter.

Even without the reward of a ‘mana’ style meal, the world of mycology (fancy word for fungi study) is fascinating to me.

Not sure why you can’t add pictures :\ Assuming this works, here are some shroom snaps:

Common Name Latin Name Nom Nom
Magpie Inkcap Coprinopsis picacea No

Scarlet Elf Cup/Cap Sarcoscypha austriaca No

Scarlet Waxcap Hygrocybe coccinea No

Shaggy Parasol Chlorophyllum rhacodes Yes(ish) - can cause gastric upset in some people

Do put some piccies up if you’re able - or let me know if you’re still having issues.

Other things we forage are walnuts, hazelnuts, blackberries, wild garlic and wild chives/herbs.

In Christ

4 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

It does look like lobster! Yummy!

And you have inspired @jasonacts177 to change his headgear. Lol…love it. Shroom-head.

2 Likes

I don’t go to the woods to forage. I get a lot out of the back yard and beside the road. I love dandelions for the leaves. They go great in salad. In the spring I love to get fiddle heads and horse tail to cook up in soups or as stand alone dishes. I need to get out to the woods though with my forage book to find other things as well.

1 Like

Which book do you use for this? I’m stocking up on guides and books for stuff to use as guides and love gathering all the information I can.

1 Like

I have one I downloaded and need to get printed out and then the other is one sold online called the Old Ways if I am not mistaken. I keep it as general as possible because you never know where you may end up. If you are in a pretty permanent location, I am sure with a little effort you can find one geared to where you are living. Many plants are nationwide but there are some that local or regional only. Some tropical ones you wont find in the north and vice versa.