Forum Use Help ❓

This topic is reserved for asking questions regarding the use of the forum!

Questions asked here may be used to fill out the FAQ in the second post! Questions/answers below the FAQ will be archived periodically to make the topic quicker to read.

Before responding, please keep the following in mind:

• this is for forum use related questions only: all other questions, suggestions, or comments will be moved or removed.
  • please do not answer a question unless you are confident you know the answer: incorrect, speculative, or misleading answers will be removed.
  • please offer as much information with your question or answer as possible: screenshots can be very helpful, though please remember to remove personal info.
  • if you aren’t comfortable asking your question here please send a moderator a private message.
  • there are no stoopid* questions, we’ve all been there!

*to be read in :hawaiianshirt_3: Pastor JD’s voice :wink:

20 Likes

Forum Help FAQ

To view the answer to a question please click on the arrow ►

Posting

How do I post?

:pencil2: How to Post

There are two main forum categories where only Forum Staff i.e. Moderators and Admin can create completely New Topics:

1. Bible Prophecy Update Discussion - JD Farag Bible Prophecy Forum
  2. Bible Study Discussion - JD Farag Bible Prophecy Forum

However all forum members can post a ‘Reply’ within any of the Topics in those categories.

There are a few buttons that allow you to post a Reply - look for any of these:

It is worth bearing in mind that if you use a ‘Reply’ button that is directly underneath another member’s post, it will notify that member and your post will be visible to everyone.

So for example if you go into the latest Bible Prophecy Update Topic - click here - you should be able to ‘Reply’ and make a post within that Topic.

The same applies for all Topics within the Bible Study Discussion category; Forum Staff will create new Topics, and members can then Reply/post within those Topics.

Two other forum areas where any member can post a Reply to an existing Topic (but not create new Topics) is right here in this Forum Use Help Topic and also the Welcome & Introductions! :wave: Topic.

The forum categories where any member at any User Level can create a new Topic and/or Reply/post to existing Topics are:

1. Social Well - JD Farag Bible Prophecy Forum
  2. The ABC’s of Salvation Resources - JD Farag Bible Prophecy Forum
  3. Prayer Requests - JD Farag Bible Prophecy Forum
  4. Praise The Lord - JD Farag Bible Prophecy Forum

If you visit any of those categories, you should see a ‘+ New Topic’ button which allows you to compose and create a Topic.

Please bear in mind that the categories listed above do require that any new Topics and Replies are relevant and related to the subject i.e. the Prayer Requests category is for asking for others to join you in specific prayers.

Each Category on the forum has a Topic called ‘About…’ which gives further details regarding the nature and purpose of that Category. Please read these before posting.

Why I am unable to post a Prayer Request?

You’ll need to spend a tiny bit more time on the forum and read a few posts before you can actually create your own post. Once you have reached User Trust Level 1 you will be able to post in more places.

Please have a read through this Welcome & Introductions guide. You can also view a detailed guide on how to create new posts and replies in the “How do I post?” answer above.

How do I reply to posts?

Click on “Reply” below the post you want to reply to.

If you want to reply to someone specific it is recommended that you “tag” them, which means to type an @ before their user name. You can also select some of the text in their post and it will automatically quote and notify them

How can I tell when a reply is to a specific post?

If a member has clicked on the Reply button (directly below a post), and if the reply isn’t directly below that post, a little “Replies” dropdown appears at the bottom of the post. A post in reply to another will have a “Replies” link on the top right hand corner directing people to the post it is in reply to.

What is the direct link to forum, without having to go through email?

The direct link/url for the forum is: forum.jdfarag.org
You can put that into any browser and it will bring you to the forum.

Participation

Can I set up a forum event? How can we let people know it's happening?

An event post, for a sing-a-long, movie night, group fasting, and similar events, could be set up in the Social Well. Unfortunately the forum cannot promote your event, but you are welcome to create a post well in advance and ask people to post if they want to be tagged/reminded.

Can I add a topic that shares faith-based music, jokes, humor and memes?

Faith-based music could be shared in the Praise the Lord OR Social Well category, depending on your intent. Jokes, humour, memes (all in good taste of course) can be added to the Social Well. Check to see if there’s a topic already running that you could add to!

Can I put music/songs on here from my computer?

The forum only allows certain image file extensions to be uploaded by members. You can link to music from another website, from youtube for example, but uploading music from your computer isn’t possible.

Is there a place to post a topic for those of us that have lost spouses?

The best category for that topic would be Praise The Lord . Beautiful idea :heart:

1 Corinthians 1:
3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 5 For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ.

A topic was locked that I was participating on, did I do something wrong?

If you ever have questions or comments on any type of moderation/staff action feel free to send a message to @moderators. Locked threads happen on occasion when the Code of Conduct is not being adhered to or when the OP requests that it be locked due to repeated off-topic discussion. Unless you receive a private message from staff there’s no action needed on your part.

I saw someone talking about a private group. Is this allowed and how do I join?

Private group chats are simply private messages that have multiple members added, and yes, this is allowed. You can add up to 30 people to a private message. You can either message the member that mentioned it and ask if you can join, or you can create your own and invite people you would like to chat with.

If I invite moderators to my private group will they moderate the conversation?

While moderators can be invited into a private group, we expect the person who created the group to moderate. That means that you are responsible for inviting and removing members at your discretion.

Should the Code of Conduct be breached, flagged posts from private groups will be treated the same as in the public forum, however, moderators do not otherwise view unflagged private messages (if you don’t tell us there’s a problem, we won’t know).

Forum Mechanics

Who is allowed to ‘flag’? How can I tell if my flag went through? How do I know what the resolution is?

Flags are a unique feature here, we get many questions about them, so we have a whole topic on flags! Please CLICK HERE to learn all about it.

Can you tell me how the ‘heart/like’ thing works? How many do I have? How do I get more?

This forum runs on a software platform called ‘Discourse’ which determines the fundamental mechanics of the forum including likes/hearts.

• A limited number of ‘hearts’ are available for users per day (90)
  • The limit then increases according to a User Level multiplier: x 1.5 for Level 2 and x 2 for Level 3.
  • Where things get confusing is the ‘per day’ definition/chronology and precisely when/how the limit gets replenished.
  • Based on recent posts on the Discourse Meta (a community for the software) the erratic depletion/non-replenishment of ‘hearts’ may be a bug.

Additional reading:

Is there another reaction button I can use instead of the like/heart button?

Lovely idea but would require this forum be ‘upgraded’ to a version that allows customised ‘post reactions’ such as emojis, so for now this unfortunately isn’t an option.

How do I add something to my profile summary page?

Go to your Account Preferences to edit your Profile / Preferences / ‘About Me’ section.

Is the forum on the JD Farag App?

The JD Farag app does not give access to the forum unfortunately.

Exemption Letters

How do I get the vaccine exemption letter?

Information on requesting an exemption letter can be found here: https://www.jdfarag.org/exemption

There was a problem with my exemption letter/it still hasn't arrived, what do I do?

You can visit the Exemption Letter ‘Support Centre’ for help with the entire exemption letter process.

Video and Streaming

What can I do when I have difficulty getting the video to play?

If you find your video freezes/buffers or has other lag issues, there is an option to choose a lower resolution in the top right hand corner of the video.

1. Hover your mouse over the top right hand corner of the video and click on the “…”
  2. Click on “Quality” - it will be set as Auto as default
  3. Choose a lower resolution (lowest is 238p)

Hopefully that helps! If not I would recommend submitting a report through the Support Center here:
https://support.jdfarag.org/hc/en-us/requests/new

PastorJD and Calvary Chapel Kaneohe

I mailed something to Pastor JD, can you tell me if he received it?

Unfortunately we won’t have that answer at hand here, we’re just the online forum people :wink: What you could do is send him a message here: email Pastor JD

9 Likes

sorry I tried to search and can’t find the info, how can I delete my acct here?

3 Likes

To delete your account:

1. WARNING - account deletion is PERMANENT, we cannot retrieve deleted accounts!
  2. Go to your Account Preferences
    • click on your icon in the top right hand corner
    • click on the person icon
    • click on ‘Preferences’
  3. In the ‘Account’ section scroll down and click on the red “Delete Account” button

We are having problems with the system allowing self-deletion in some cases. I’ve just increased this forum’s specific limits again to see if that “resets” what it’s looking for and perhaps fixes the issue.

Work around: if you’re ever unable to self-delete your account, or you would prefer that your account is anonymized (your personal account information is removed, but your post content stays under a randomly generated name), please send a message to moderators.

3 Likes

Hi what does topics entered mean? I was curious about what the different trust levels were

3 Likes

Hi @Margaret / Margaret

Topics entered simply refers to the individual topics that you have opened/viewed.

Trust this helps

In Christ

3 Likes

Thank you very much

3 Likes

Could I bother you again please…how do I change 23617k8 to just my name Margaret. Thank you. Also what is the practical difference between being a member and being a regular?

3 Likes

No bother at all Margaret / @Margaret

To change your username please see the guide below. Please let me know if this work (though it should be easy to spot if it does) - I had to change a forum setting to re-enable the option for members to change their own usernames.

3 Likes

Good question - the short answer is not a great deal of difference.

The longer answer is…

According to the official blog for Discourse (the platform/software that this forum operates on)

Users at trust level 2 can…

• Use the “Invite others to this topic” button for one-click onboarding of new users to participate in topics (literally not sure what or where this is…)
  • Invite outside users to PMs making a group PM
  • Daily like and edit limits increased by 1.5×
  • Ignore other users
  • Edit their own posts for up to 30 days after posting (we’ve changed this so lvl 2+ users can edit their posts in perpetuity)

Users at trust level 3 can…

• Recategorize and rename topics (not sure on this one - might need to enlist a Lvl 3 user to help test this)
  • Access a secure category only visible to users at trust level 3 and higher (not applicable here)
  • Have all their links followed (we remove automatic nofollow) (???)
  • TL3 spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately hide the post
  • TL3 flags cast on TL0 user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-silence the user and hide all their posts
  • Make their own posts wiki (that is, editable by any TL1+ users) (I think this means you can actually create a post which other users lvl 1 and above can edit - i.e. if you were building a Wikipedia style Topic/post that you wish to open for contributions/amends)
  • Daily like and edit limits increased by 2×

Hope this helps Margaret.

In Christ

3 Likes

Thank you very much, so it’s more a prestige thing than practical difference thank you very much jason

3 Likes

Thank u!

3 Likes

Lvl 3 (Regular) members have to maintain a certain post count and participation quota to keep the status too.

In other words, people like me have to be a bucket mouth. :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve been able to rename topics, like my own and others as well. I’m not sure what the recategorize is about unless that means moving it to another topic area?

And I can not do it to stuff in read only topics like this thread for example, also for posts made by admins/mods.

:slight_smile:

I’ve been wondering if the wiki option would solve the 500 limit on Group PM’s. It would seem to also solve the 30 member limit also.

I just don’t know enough at the moment about the wiki thing.

4 Likes

Thanks Jack - Ok so as it states Lvl 3 (Regular) can rename their own and other (lvl 3 created only?) topics (with exceptions).

Logically as you say recategorizing would refer to moving/rehoming an entire topic in a different forum cat, though for sanities sake I would think/hope this ability be restricted to one’s own topic.

Yep still a bit vague on the wiki thing myself, but perhaps that’s a good thing…

19 For your obedience has become known to all. Therefore I am glad on your behalf; but I want you to be wise in what is good, and simple concerning evil/wikidness

Romans 16:19

4 Likes

Nice pun

4 Likes

500 posts/30 members limit is specific to private messages, so if the purpose of the group is to stay private I don’t think a wiki is what you’re looking for.

The purpose of a wiki is to allow edits to a post (usually the first post of a topic) multiple times by multiple users. This could be useful with keeping a member made forum resource list, for example.

We have level 3’s ability to change someone else’s topic category/title turned off right now, so if non-staff members are able to edit still there’s something wonky going on.

3 Likes

I have a question, I want to post a link On the latest prophecy update, but the link has the letters ( ( N. A. D. ) Without the periods or spaces ) in the Main text of the Url, I got a profanity filter message refusing to let me post and telling me that profanity is not allowed?, The article has nothing to do with profanity- nor have I ever heard of that as a profane term? Nor is ther any way of changing that sites url- So I cant post a perfectly good article because of a bogus rule about profanity That doesnt even apply? The article is reporting the latest medical studies that Show that Vaccinated Individuals 25-44 years old will likely have a 25% greater risk of heart attacks and that there is an enormous risk of a Dengue fever Like Flu For those who had the virus and then got vaccinated afterwards, this condition is now being seen at the University of Michigan ann arbor- how can I publish this link without being censured? I get why you would want to stop trolling and profanity, but it Seems a little over the top for censoring a URL… also why is there no link or email address on this site to report such issues?

1 Like

@FIARSTIKX We’ve gone through the profanity list so many times, but it seems that one snuck through. I’ve changed the filter, let me know if you have any further trouble!

And you can post here or send a private message to @moderators any time if you ever have any problems :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, I will share it on the latest prophecy updates- I appreciate your help on this!.

1 Like