How many cooks do we have out there?

Now I grew up in a family where Dad was the cook and Mom was the baker. Mom could make some crazy good cakes, pies, and cookies. But Dad was the main cook. In part he was the oldest and started around the age of 9 cooking at my Grandmother’s direction when she was sick. Made my Grandfather very upset to come home and see food on the table thinking Grandma did it. Once Grandpa found out it was his oldest he kept him in the kitchen to learn to cook more and more. When Dad got into the military and before WWII started he complained of the chow hall food. So the Cook Sgt was brought out and said if you think you can do better go show us. And Dad did. Within 2 weeks of Dad cooking that one chow hall was the only one people went to and there were 3 on the base.

So when I came of age late pre-teens say 11 or 12 it was my turn. I spent a lot of time in the kitchen when Dad was cooking, watching, learning and usually the dishes. Oh well it is part of the job. Anyway I learned and now my son followed suit and also learned to cook but over a much larger variety as he can do a lot of the Japanese cooking I have never learned.

Anyway an old forum friend from another end times forum posted this as she is getting back into cooking nearly everything from scratch again. This is my copy so the answers are mine but, how many of these can people answer yes too. I suspect there may be more that can answer yes to at least half or more and some that can say yes to all. Enjoy!

HAVE YOU EVER?

1. Made biscuits from scratch? Yes
  2. Fried fresh okra or squash? Yes
  3. Made Homemade vegetable soup? Yes
  4. Fried chicken? Yes
  5. Made spaghetti sauce from scratch? Yes
  6. Made Homemade yeast rolls or cinnamon rolls? Yes
  7. Baked a cake from scratch? Yes
  8. Made icing from scratch? Yes
  9. Cooked a pot roast with all the veggies? Yes
  10. Made chili from scratch? Yes
  11. Made a meatloaf? Yes
  12. Made scalloped potatoes? Yes
  13. Made mac/cheese from scratch? Yes
  14. Made a jello salad? No, never had it.
  15. Made Chicken pot pie?Yes, slippery and pie
  16. Made fudge? Yes
  17. Made cookies from scratch? Yes
  18. Cooked a pot of beans from dried beans? Yes
  19. Cooked a pot of greens? Yes
  20. Made cornbread from scratch? Yes
  21. Make a pie dough from scratch? Yes
  22. Cooked a whole turkey? Yes
  23. Snapped green beans and cooked them? Yes
  24. Made mashed potatoes from scratch? Yes
  25. Prepared a meal for 15+? I’ve cooked enough for 15, does that count?
  26. Made homemade dumplings? Yes
  27. Made pancakes from scratch?Yes
  28. Roasted vegetables in the oven instead of boiling them? Yes
  29. Made Homemade baked apple pies?
  30. Made Banana pudding from scratch? Not yet
  31. Made tuna or chicken salad? Yes
  32. Fried fish? Yes
  33. Made baked beans? No
  34. Made ice cream from scratch? Yes
  35. Made jam or jelly? Yes
  36. Zested an orange or lemon? Yes
  37. Made grits from scratch? Not yet
  38. Made an omelet? Yes
  39. Made homemade pizza? Yes
  40. Lived in a house without a dishwasher? Yes (pretty sure we aren’t putting one in our new house)
7 Likes

I guess you’d have to make the hominy first. I was involved with that once but it’s been so long ago that I don’t remember the process. But never ground up hominy into grits. Makes more sense to just buy it ready to cook…

4 Likes

Yes to most, a sort of “qualified” yes to the rest.

For instance, #25, “prepared a meal for 15+”, sort of. We’ve had many dinners of that size (usually over the holidays) and several of us usually do the cooking and baking and I can’t say much of it is done exclusively by one person, it’s more of a team effort. I’ve been involved in feeding groups of nearly 1,000, and that’s definitely a team effort. (You know it’s a big pot when it gets stirred with a canoe paddle. LOL!)

Love to cook and bake. Had I served in the military, I suspect it’s one area I would have liked and might have pursued. I’ve occasionally remarked that if I had a dozen lives to live, at least one of 'em would be as a chef.

4 Likes

I cook, daily, but I don’t always want to nor put my best effort into it each meal, so not sure I’d call myself a cook. :stuck_out_tongue:

2. Fried fresh okra or squash? Yes, pan fried
  3. Made Homemade vegetable soup? No, but only because I don’t think I’ve ever made a soup without some kind of meat in it. lol…
  4. Fried chicken? Yes
  5. Made spaghetti sauce from scratch? Yes
  6. Made Homemade yeast rolls or cinnamon rolls? Yes
  9. Cooked a pot roast with all the veggies? Yes
  11. Made a meatloaf? Yes
  13. Made mac/cheese from scratch? Yes
  14. Made a jello salad? Yes
  15. Made Chicken pot pie? Yes
  16. Made fudge? Yes
  17. Made cookies from scratch? Yes
  18. Cooked a pot of beans from dried beans? Yes
  19. Cooked a pot of greens? …I’m assuming these are collard greens? Not much of that here, made chard or spinach tho.
  21. Make a pie dough from scratch? Yes
  24. Made mashed potatoes from scratch? Yes (powdered potato scares me lol)
  25. Prepared a meal for 15+? Yes
  27. Made pancakes from scratch? Yes
  28. Roasted vegetables in the oven instead of boiling them? Yes (I don’t think I’ve ever just boiled vegetables unless it was potatoes… steam, fry, or roast)
  29. Made Homemade baked apple pies? Yes, even picked the apples
  30. Made Banana pudding from scratch? No, but when my daughter was 3 she added mashed banana into vanilla yogurt and thought she had made a new gourmet dessert. haha…
  32. Fried fish? Yes (pan fried… I don’t deep fry much)
  33. Made baked beans? Yes
  34. Made ice cream from scratch? Yes
  37. Made grits from scratch? No… and I’ve only eaten them once or twice
  38. Made an omelet? Yes
  39. Made homemade pizza? Yes
  40. Lived in a house without a dishwasher? Yes

And I feel like adding a few more I’ve done, I hope others will add some more too :smiley:

1. Made a sweet and sour sauce from scratch?
  2. Made sushi?
  3. Made doughnuts?
  4. Made an entire meal over a wood fire?
  5. Pickled anything?
3 Likes
  1. Made a sweet and sour sauce from scratch? NO
  2. Made sushi? Yes
  3. Made doughnuts? Yes
  4. Made an entire meal over a wood fire? Yes
  5. Pickled anything? Yes

Now I did not make the list up but on the greens I am thinking also collard as well. I said yes because I make a collar, mustard, and turnip green dish with turnips and ham.

Since you answered most of these yes, then you are like me a cook. Now if you do like my wife and look in the fridge without any presupposed menu in mind and whip up a delicious meal from what ever is there then you are a chef. I am the house cook, she is the house chef. Also I took over the baking chores from my Mom when her hands got so bad with the arthritis so I also do the baking. With that in mind I will add one more.

1. Made Bread Pudding. Yes
4 Likes

Never did a sweet and sour sauce. Never made sushi. Fish / seafood and oriental cooking are probably my biggest shortcomings.

Yup, donuts… I love 'em… but it’s more of a rare treat.

Would LOVE to have a wood cookstove.

Yes, have done pickled eggs, made pickles, and made sauerkraut a few times (sometimes more of a pickled cabbage, sometimes fermented).

3 Likes

[quote=“BayouBushi, post:1, topic:26962”]

2. Fried fresh okra or squash? Yes
  3. Made Homemade vegetable soup? Yes
  4. Fried chicken? Yes
  5. Made spaghetti sauce from scratch? Yes, I always make my own sauce by the gallons & freeze
  6. Made Homemade yeast rolls or cinnamon rolls? Yes; bake all my own breads, cakes, pies.
  9. Cooked a pot roast with all the veggies? Yes; a regular meal for us.
  11. Made a meatloaf? Yes
  13. Made mac/cheese from scratch? Yes; can’t stand the taste of packaged stuff.
  14. Made a jello salad? yes, many kinds
  15. Made Chicken pot pie?Yes
  16. Made fudge? Yes
  17. Made cookies from scratch? Yes; this is my specialty. I LOVE cookies.
  18. Cooked a pot of beans from dried beans? Yes; my fav is Limas and ham
  19. Cooked a pot of greens? No, not mustard or collard
  21. Make a pie dough from scratch? Yes; oh please, not that store bought stuff
  24. Made mashed potatoes from scratch? Yes
  25. Prepared a meal for 15+? yes
  27. Made pancakes from scratch? Yes
  28. Roasted vegetables in the oven instead of boiling them? Yes
  29. Made Homemade baked apple pies? pies are also my specialty. I was in a magazine once.
  30. Made Banana pudding from scratch? oh yes, yum. The old recipe with Nabisco cookies
  32. Fried fish? Yes
  33. Made baked beans? yes
  34. Made ice cream from scratch? Yes, my husband is an ice cream freek. Always in freezer.
  37. Made grits from scratch? Not yet
  38. Made an omelet? Yes
  39. Made homemade pizza? Yes, often with my homemade sauce. Fav is Canadian bacon,pineapple
  40. Lived in a house without a dishwasher? Yes , but when kids came along, bought a used one that was portable.

These were too easy Jack. I think most people our age has done these. If not, we will have to talk with their mommas…lol.

6 Likes

…and I have a wonderful recipe for bread pudding. Oh, my it is delicious. That is why I am a “pudgy” old lady. I seem to have nothing better to do than bake. My bros. were darn good cooks also. My middle brother was a pasty fanatic, and my oldest brother had a restaurant in upstate New York in Harriman. I sure miss cooking with them. They would spend all their days off trying new things and baking the house down.

5 Likes

Never made sweet & sour. Love it and don’t know why I don’t.
No to sushi. Never met one I liked.
Yes, made doughnuts. Duh…pudgy old lady here!
No, to cooking over a wood fire. Love the idea! Have a cookbook for that. Does that count?
Yes, pickled cucumbers; sweet and dill.

2 Likes

So I have a final question for all of you that answered yes at 90% or more, what time is dinner tonight? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :rofl: :joy: :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Let’s see, you are on eastern standard time? Well that would be 4pm PST. We eat only 2 meals a day and call the later, lunner (lunch/dinner) or lupper (lunch/supper) in your neck of the woods.

3 Likes

Uhhh no I am on the LEFT coast so 4 pm is just fine.

2 Likes

Well excuse me. Your bio say you are from the Bayou so there I go assuming again. We will see you at 4pm. I am making a Jewish chicken dish called Sumac Roast Chicken. You bring the dessert.
recipe

3 Likes

Yep that was where I was hatched. Momma was a snapping turtle and Daddy was a gator. I have since been transplanted for the past 33 years.

2 Likes

Honestly, that’s how I make most meals, but it’s because I can’t be bothered to fuss around with looking up and matching exact recipes. :joy: I buy the groceries knowing that my family likes this and that, but how it’s combined and put on the plate later on is on a whim. haha… everyone eats it with minimal whimpers and that’s all I ask for.

@BrianT I’m doing more and more asian cooking, but with a western pallet and access to ingredients it’s not always “accurate”. I have fish cake in the freezer right now that is a new ingredient for me. It’ll go into a soup …fingers crossed it turns out! I’m too far from the ocean to get much good fresh seafood, but I do love it.

@Flamingogirl49563 Oooo a pro pie’er! Honestly, it’s probably a blessing in disguise that I’m not patient enough for much baking. Pastry and breads are such a weakness for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1. Made Bread Pudding. Yes - and I have some overly crusty bread that should get that treatment tonight actually. I’m usually more likely to do rice pudding as my husband doesn’t eat gluten.
4 Likes

Growing up there were 8 in our family and often we’d have visitors as well. I learned to cook from my mom and often did the cooking also.
In our first year of marriage, I didn’t know how to make small portions. No matter what I made, we would have enough for a week. My husband hated left overs.
Thus I gained a LOT of weight in our first years of marriage as I couldn’t bear to have any food go to waste. Instead it went to my waist. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

P.S. We made everything from scratch. Never heard of instant till later in life.

7 Likes

I’m not a cook; I’m a pyrotechnically enhanced ingredient coordinator.

6 Likes

So…you cook outdoors mostly?? For safety reasons?

5 Likes

I agree that cooking for one is very hard. On the other hand I love left overs which is why even when cooking for the whole family of 4 I made enough for at least 15. That way I could put the excess away in the fridge till another day. It did two things. One was make for an easy quick meal on a busy night and two it always tasted so much better after a couple of days. I used to go so far as cooking food not to eat but to break up into portions and freeze for later then cook the evening meal. Back in the day when they first came out with TV dinners, we called the left over food we took for lunches or later in the week dinners radio dinners.

3 Likes

Then you are not a cook. You are a chef. I don’t dig up recipes, I just have bunch rolling around in my head from years of cooking. The closest thing I do to being a chef is modifying existing recipes for a change of pace.

3 Likes