How To Live Life Not Fretting

Do not fret because of evildoers,
Nor be envious of the workers of iniquity.
Psalm 37:1

Have you found yourself fretting lately about the state of the world, or about your community, or about various injustices? The Bible instructs us not to fret because of those who are evil or be envious of those who do wrong. Yet there is much to be upset about and if we’re not careful we can end up fretting. So how can we be
sure we do not end up becoming fretful?
Our loving and faithful Heavenly Father always provides us with the tools – by way of divine instruction – to be obedient to His Word, the “how” to the “what”.

The call to not fret is no exception!
David continues in Psalm 37 in verses three through eight with no less than six actions we are to undertake that help us not to fret. He says twice not to fret.
Once right after resting in the Lord and then again at the end as a reminder.

1. Trust in the Lord and do good (v. 3)
  2. Dwell in the land and feed on His faithfulness (v. 3)
  3. Delight in the Lord (v. 4)
  4. Commit your way to the Lord (v. 5)
  5. Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him (v. 7)
  6. Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way (v. 7)
  7. Cease from anger and forsake wrath (v. 8)
  8. Do not fret – it only causes harm (v. 8)

There are countless scriptures that lend support to that list of actions. However, Philippians 4:8 puts it nicely into perspective:
“Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.”

Can you think of any other source but the precious Word of God that contains all those characteristics? Or how about Psalm 1:2 – the man who delights in the Law of the LORD and thinks about it day and night? Or how about “Therefore you shall lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.” in Deuteronomy 11:18?
We are to hide God’s word in our heart so that we do not sin against Him (Psalm 119:11). Fretting causes worry, a sign of a wavering in our faith without which God says it’s impossible to please Him.

We are capable of taking things into our minds that, seemingly, are not doing any damage at all, but they are definitely not providing the right kind of sustenance for the right kind of thinking and for the strengthening of our faith. Thoughts come
from what our minds have been fed, and thus what our minds have been fed will determine how we will act. What we think upon will determine our character and our attitudes.

Instead of focusing on evil men, which only harms our soul and steals our peace and joy, we are to set our love on God according to Psalm 91:14. As we do so God has promised He will deliver us; He will elevate us; He will answer us; He will be with us in trouble; He will honour us; He will satisfy us with long life; He will show us His salvation.

All the promises of God are yea and amen. God has exalted His Word above His very name! So even in a world filled with uncertainty, trials and suffering, we can depend and stake our future on God’s Word. We can say as Paul did in Romans
8:18 “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”

Glory to be to God the Father through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

FAITH IN GOD AND IN HIS WORD ARE THE
ANTIDOTE TO FRETTING.

21 Likes

Thank you so much, Beverly! Praise God! What a blessing to read this post and be reminded to not fret. :heart:

4 Likes

You can also add: turn off your TV

10 Likes

Thank you so much for these words of comfort.

6 Likes

Truly an inspired and inspirational post @BeverlyM - thank you and praise God for the timely deliverance (notwithstanding the irony of my delayed response).

19 For your obedience has become known to all. Therefore I am glad on your behalf; but I want you to be wise in what is good, and simple concerning evil.

Romans 16

Welcome also @mia to this forum and fellowship under Christ.

p.s.
@hotchiwawa what’s a TV ? ;p

4 Likes

Thank you and God bless you, Jason. As soon as I find myself fretting, the Holy Spirit convicts me and brings scripture to my remembrance. I thank God that He is faithful and just to forgive me of fretting when I repent.

6 Likes

Thank you for posting this! God Bless you!

2 Likes

Thank you and you’re welcome! God bless you. Maranatha.

1 Like

2 Likes

Wow, what a beautiful post.
I think I’d like to print it.
I am so guilty of fretting these days.
It is a daily battle as I wait to hear about my religious exemption request.
I am an RN and I will NEVER take the poison jab, which may cost me a lost occupation.
BUT GOD, and if so, it will be exciting to see what new plans HE has for me!!!
Thank you for the reminders.

4 Likes

Dear Deb,

Thank you for your reply. I thank our Lord that you’re reminded not to fret. We will face many trials but God has promised He will never forsake us, that He’s always with us helping us through our trials. He has also promised to work out things for us because we choose to love Him. I invite you to read my post called steps to maturity.

I resigned a while ago from my job as surgical assistant due to certain surgical procedures that conflicted with my faith. The Lord provides for me and my family daily. I know He will continue to do so.

Hold on to your faith! Do not bow down - to fear, the jab, or to whatever else the world may threaten you with! Stay with the Lord. God bless you and maranatha!

Beverly Mae

5 Likes

Dearest Bev,
Thank you so much.
I keep repeating your words, don’t bow down to fear.
For me, the best place to be is in the Psalms.
Today is a tough one as I battle with the spirit of oppression.
BUT GOD!!
BLESSINGS TO YOU!

2 Likes

Dear Deb, here’s a link with an encouragement for when you’re feeling oppressed. It has scriptures near the end. God bless you and keep you.

Beverly Mae

2 Likes

Thank you sister.

Thank you :yellow_heart: