🦊 It is God who works in you

I’m sharing a post from a friend on another service here as I find it quite apropos to recent salvation doubt topics.

While there are so many great and wonderful things to teach and share from the Word of God, I want to share a small verse this morning. It is one that we often just gloss right over, on our way to some greater truth(we think). Yet, this morning I read it, and was struck by how deep and profound this small verse is:

Philippians 2:13

For it is God which works in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure.

Think about that a moment, or you will miss the profound impact of that statement. It’s all God, all the time. He works in us, by His Spirit to even want to do and TO do things that please Him. Salvation is all Him- free gift, not of works, etc. Holy Spirit is given freely to those who believe.

We should then be assured, 100% of His love for us, and the surety of our salvation. If we desire (will) to do anything Godly, it is Him, working in us that produces that desire. It’s all Him, friends and we are the blessed recipients of His great love. This just inspires me to want to be closer to Him.

~ Steve Bergeron

25 Likes

I love it.
It reminds of me a sermon or article I read awhile back that really struck me. It talked about how we don’t find or even look for God. It is all His doing.

Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Rom 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
Rom 3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

If God just set the world in motion and stood back looking, there would not be a single person saved. NO ONE would ever even bother to seek him. It is just not in us. Left alone, we would never seek God. That really hit me and humbled me.

We tend to think we would seek to do good on our own and we don’t need God for anything. Yet, it is the total opposite.

I think in these days we are starting to see a bit of that. God seems to have been slowly withdrawing His Spirit a little bit and we are seeing what man is like without any interference from God. Pure evil and it is only going to get worse when the restrainer quits restraining.

We need God every moment of every day for everything.
Thanks for sharing.

13 Likes

a gentle reminder

try not to be stingy and see the good in people even if you can’t… Jesus wants us to take a closer look.

Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing.
I Thessalonians 5:11

6 Likes

Was that meant just as a general statement or was it intended for me or Dallas?

Just seeking clarification… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

for anyone who may be stingy…

4 Likes

Manta Rays everywhere… :wink:

EDIT:

@staceylovesJesus , I misread “Stingy” as like bitter people, rather than it’s other definition of being reluctant to share… My apologies. I had the wrong context…

:wink: :heart:

2 Likes

What ‘good’ are we to see? God inspired Paul to explain something to us, there is NO good in us, that’s why we need Jesus!
Perhaps what you mean is we should let people know that GOD loves them INSPITE of the fact that there is NO GOOD in them?

Romans 7:
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

7 Likes

a Christian friend Eileen started dating Brandon who was not Christian… one night they ended up in a conversation where he said, “I think I’m a good person. you think you’re a good person, right?” she shocked him when she said, “no, NO one is good!!!” she had to explain that one thoroughly…

she was the girl of his dreams and they have been married like 10 years now.

7 Likes

some folks don’t appreciate even the little stuff… they’ll like something you share and keep it for themselves… they do not show their appreciation… it’s all about what they can get for themselves. also some don’t have a clue what your life journey has been like so they’ll *assume something about you.

2 Likes

I think the world will learn this hard lesson after God takes the church out of the way and gives the anti-Christ free reign. It will be very obvious that it is God that gave believers the Will to do good and to believe. this world will be an explosion of evil under the evil one.

Good topic.

6 Likes

Love that Jack. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing this excellent nugget from God’s word, brother Jack. I have thought of you and Jill often and pray that you both are blessed.
Give my love to brother Steve for this encouragement.
Robert…

3 Likes

@Raptureman , Robert! Oh my gosh! How are you? :slight_smile: :heart: :fox_face:

How is Elijah?

20953294_10159455746355647_2737701904481605886_n

You still active on MeWe?

4 Likes

We are blessed, brother!! I am off all social media going on two years now.
Elijah? You tell me:

8 Likes

Aww! There he is… Good to see him too! :slight_smile:

Jill loves the rug! :wink: :heart:

3 Likes

I was thinking of a good thread to share this. Really touched by this encouragement Jack. Thanks. Yes it is awesome and beyond profound. Amen. Thanks :slight_smile:

This kind of goes along the lines of a motif I coined (correctly or incorrectly) called “The Party in Heaven.” The reason I use that term in relation to the verse you share brother, is that it took a grip of us to figure out what was going on in the reformed world when it came to some church discipline issue leadership frequented in. I explained to my friends that their ministry is like they are playing funeral like in Luke 7:31-35. But whether funeral or wedding, the good news is “the good news.” And seeing His majesty of intent behind every mode of man transforms us into His likeness, a little easier :slight_smile: (2 Cor 3:18).

I have a sorted past with the reformed camp. But I have never come as close to my party in heaven motif as one of their own. This sermon echo’s your sentiment Jack. Amen. And beautifully captures as well your sentiment brother. Blessings :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Understand though, that I was quoting a friend from somewhere else, though I agree with his words. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

…and it was you that thought to bring it too :slight_smile: Amen. Or…God working in you…to bring it.

2 Likes