🦊 It is God who works in you

Who is this minister? Only part way through but such a wonderful message so far.
Thank you for sharing! :blush:

2 Likes

I believe that is Paul Washer.

2 Likes

Yes, @JackN is correct. That is Paul Washer. He is known for being rather on the intense side. And has been also known for very straight talk that would normally get preachers into trouble. But for him it is just the way he is. So what makes this sermon even more precious is that for Paul Washer to “go where he goes” in this sermon, it is normally quite unlike him.

Paul Washer is of the Lordship Salvation genre. He is of the reformed camp. I am no longer with the reformed camp. And I always had concerns with Lordship Salvation (although I would agree that anyone who becomes a believer would demonstrate organically some sense of supernatural fruit in their life).

Even though I find myself at odds, and even severe odds at times with the reformed camp in general, they are one of the largest influential type denominations throughout the country. And i think it is helpful to honor when they make an effort like Paul did there to come out from underneath their own puritanical piety and let their hair down…relaxing and kicking it with the rest of the body. :slight_smile:

Thanks for letting me know you liked it Tracy. If his style of preaching encourages you I would recommend checking out Andy Woods series on Lordship Salvation before getting more so involved with Paul Washer (he is a very charismatic preacher). There are aspects to Lordship Salvation that would not be in keeping with the sound doctrine this forum aspire to defend. Great to know it was encouraging to you. Much blessings :slight_smile:

https://bit.ly/3EDmSNb (please see the first 5 videos)

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Hence the second greatest commandment to love our neighbor as ourselves. I would throw into that the very difficult command on how many times to forgive, not just 7, not just 70, but 70 times 7. That is a lot of forgiving which also means it is a lot of the second greatest commandment loving. Yet in all that it is a drop in the ocean of the love God has for us. Hence his desire for us to love him at that level and love others as he loves us all in our sinful nature.

4 Likes

It is SO nice to see Paul smiling, @TCC.

2 Likes

Well noted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am very naive concerning the reformed christianity doctrine. I will have to learn about it. Thank you for your info! God bless!

3 Likes

Time to bump this post again…

1 Like

In the spirit of discussion I would like to point out that Jesus sat and ate with the Tax Collectors, and the Prostitutes, and the lowly.

His comments were always to the lost to seem to try and focus on their positives, and once said, bring them closer to Him.

In this regard I think is what @staceylovesJesus meant. :slight_smile:

No one faced with a negative person (no matter how positive the message) tends to regard either.

You get more flies with fruit than you do with the others stuff… :slight_smile:

If we are to present the message of God as a representative of God, we must act as He did. And that was looking and focusing on the persons positive, putting them at ease so they don’t feel they have to defend themselves from an onslaught of criticism. The idea is to get them to realize they need to change, not to pound it into them as a condemnation.

This requires patience and endurance on both sides.

Our example should be why and how it worked for us in a similar situation, so they can learn from that and use that new knowledge to come to His feet.

4 Likes

Amen Jack. I just would like to express something here too if I may because what Stacey and Jack and Dan bring here so very preciously something to the table for the church today. Blessings n advance…

GOOD IN ROMANS AS IT RELATES TO FELLOWSHIP
In Romans (same book Dan referenced) we also find this verse: Roman’s 15:14:

14 And concerning you, my brothers and sisters , I myself also am convinced that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge and able also to admonish one another.

And earlier in that same book we find a common ground spirit:
Romans 1:11-12
11 For I long to see you so that I may impart some spiritual gift to you, that you may be [h]established; 12 that is, that I may be encouraged together with you while among you, each of us by the other’s faith, both yours and mine.

THERE IS NO GOOD IN MAN
Although I am not familiar with perhaps Dan’s background, mine was in Calvinism. Agustine (Calvin’s mentor) came out of Manichaeism (a gnostic belief that the spirit is good but the flesh is evil–therefore Jesus could not have come in the flesh–pretty tricky stuff). And verses that demonstrate what Calvinism (which is extremely influential over the church today) understands as “total depravity” look to be traced back to Augustine’s Manichaeism. Augustine did repent but did write the groundwork thesis for replacement theology and is the origin of the Kingdom Now perspective. While Augustine (obviously a genius) argued with Palagius…he was losing a grip on that public back and forth. And it would appear that Augustine found the need to reach back into his gnostic roots to win the argument (undermining free will–which is Manachiastic) that unfortunately birthed a gnostic twist to God’s word. Prior to the sense of losing an argument with Pelagius…and finding it more fitting to the image of one born of God, Augustine went against his former conviction that mankind had free will. That is not to say that the bible is incorrect. There is no good in man to save himself.

Cornelious was full of good deeds and prayers. None of that saved him. And it would be obvious that the spirit of God was in ways working upon the man’s heart (we can also see Lydia and Job as examples of man being led by God demonstrating good qualities to consider God…and some who also had some bad qualities like Noah, Abraham and Lot…not to mention Samson):

Gen 9:20-27 Noah Drunk
Gen 21:1-16 Abraham lied about Sarah
Gen 19:30-38 Lot offered his daughters to be abused by the town (2 Peter 2:7)

Although we could say that depravity due to the sin of man is very deep and thorough, we also see verses like James 3:9 (which alludes to residue good–not good to save–but rather of our having been created in the image of God). This is not to say that when Jesus says there is none good but God, would we say to Jesus in that same sense, “Ok thanks Jesus…so I guess that makes you not good too then right?” For did He not mean the Father? Of course, we know that Jesus was/is good and was/is God. But just trying to provide some helpful contrast to hopefully refresh a perspective.

Ezekiel 36:26

Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

As far as I have seen in Calvinism, it is much more important to constantly recognize the Stoney heart God took away from you. I find that problematic in that replacement theology came from Calvinism…so if the church did not get a new heart, who did? Rather we see instead mostly references to Jeremiah 17:9 about the heart being desperately wicked. Now I for one do not believe we escape our flesh and sin principled flesh we are contained in here on earth. For Paul was correct to know no good dwells in us like Jeremiah said. But what can tend to be chocked out of the Christian experience is the transforming from glory to glory in us through Christ-likeness preordained to occur to every believer. And unfortunately what can also be shorted is the quality and nature of this fellowship that flows from this condition. Whereas in an end-time age we can find it easier to correct one another…but looking for the best in others for whom Christ died should be common I believe, because its evidence that our eyes supernaturally see. Wheras the tenets of Calvinism, from what I have seen, tend to focus on the temporal fruit we bear. Which even by that standard, should result in the care in use of it toward others rather than hoping its evidence enough we are saved (for anyone who has been on that Calvinist treadmill). Blessing.

I am off all social media for two years as well and off news most of the time as well. What a great dog! Beautiful!

1 Like

3 Likes

3 Likes

1 Like