January 7, 2022 - Isaiah 58 – Why Prayers Go Unanswered

:hawaiianshirt_3: Pastor JD talks about how God, through the prophet Isaiah, provides His people with an explanation as to why prayers and even fasting can go unanswered, then celebrates communion at the conclusion.

Watch on JDFarag.org

or watch on youtube

10 Likes

For awhile now, and this is a pedantic side of me, I’ve thought about the “unanswered prayer” idea and I am wondering if that’s a good way of explaining it. I say this because of the three ways God answers prayers to begin with. There’s the obvious, “Yes, Wait, and No”. So by that admission, instead of the prayer not being answered, wouldn’t it just be an answer of “No”?

That’s pretty much the only hangup I have about things right now. Maybe I missed something last night and previous moments where this is talked about, but I don’t believe I have. Anyone feel they could help edify me in this debacle of a dilemma I’m having? @jasonacts177, @FoxMan, @YosemiteMountainMan, @BayouBushi, @Matthew82, @Jimbo, @Redeemed777, @JDForumTeam, @Gigi, @GR

I can only add I think 10 names so, I’m pretty much taking anyone that has a solid answer lol.

11 Likes

Makes sense to me, at some point in His time God always answers prayer. We just might not like the answer or based on how long the answer comes we assume He hasn’t answered. To say God has not or does not answer prayer may be more of an assumption on the part of the believer making the request/prayer.

13 Likes

@Jon

It may be a prayer that He is willing to answer but we won’t let Him do it His way. I don’t know if this helps but that’s the way I understand it.

My prayers have ALWAYS been answered. A no is just as good as a yes.

14 Likes

You have answered your own question. :wink:

8 Likes

6 Likes

I love this sermon so much.

3 Likes

Dare I say it?

Nailed it!

13 Likes

Oh thank you so much @BayouBushi and @FoxMan and everyone else who answered. I am delighted to see the coming together of minds in synchronicity on a matter. Especially this one. Thank you @BayouBushi for taking the time to respond as you did. I had a bottle of water but never opened it.:grin:

13 Likes

That was funny!

6 Likes

tenor

7 Likes

Heh… :slight_smile:

stirring_the_pot

6 Likes

Remember also that a “Wait” means a “Yes”. :wink:

(just not at the moment)

8 Likes

Those were great answers above. @BayouBushi great
informative post.

Great peace comes when one understands and trusts that
whichever answer God gives, yes, no or wait, it is the right
and good answer for our good and His Glory.

His ways are far above our ways and He will lead us and
our lives with His infinite mercy, love and wisdom according
to His perfect plan for our lives and His kingdom when we
become His children.

While it is good to ask for specific answers to prayer, we
needn’t be dismayed if some answers come differently
than expected.
He is altogether faithful, gracious and compassionate and
can always be trusted.

Job showed wisdom when he said, “Though He slay me, yet I
will trust in Him”.
I saw this picture yesterday and it touched me by its beauty.
Undoubtedly prayers were sent up to stop the storm
but it was not stopped and this was a response:

14 Likes

9 Likes

6 Likes

I enjoyed the Bible study on prayer. It reinforces what I had known about how God answers prayers…

1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Wait

It’s all based on His will and His timing, not mine. There is a supernatural, specific purpose and plan. This is where the pedal meets the medal in faith and trust. Our sovereign God has an infinite view and certain things must or must not be. God sees above and beyond our requests when we see what’s only in front of us. It’s all for our betterment and His glory…but all comes from His divine love.

In prayer…

1. Ask humbly, joyfully and confidently
  2. Trust in His character and promises
  3. Wait, patiently
  4. Obey and leave the consequences to Him

Does our prayer request…

1. Honor God?
  2. Does God bear witness to my spirit that it is His will?
  3. Will it hurt/harm another?
  4. Will my faith and relationship be enriched?

:point_right: “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

:point_right: “All things work to the good to those that love Him.”

(I can personally say that some prayers have taken years, YEARS, and how sweet and blessed they were. :two_hearts:)

13 Likes

@Jon

I would through in one more aspect to the answer “Wait” and it could go to a yes or to a no answer to your prayer down the line.

That would be God telling you, “You are not ready to hear the answer yet.”

In this event the person needs to grow in the Word, and in their personal relationship with the Lord to be able to understand and appreciate what God is going to do in their life when He answers that specific prayer, either yes or no. (Always to God’s Glory, not ours)

So if you are not growing in the Word and in your relationship with the Lord, if you have allowed yourself to become stagnant, you will probably receive a no answer, when it could have been a yes.
This could happen to the person who is whishey washey about walking in the Spirit.

I notice sin was mentioned. Yes it can hinder our prayers greatly. Especially if you are intentionally living it it without being convicted of your sin to repent.

Men if you are married and not treating your wifes’ right, don’t expect an answer to your prayers.
Look it up in the Word.

Agape,
Ken

8 Likes

4 Likes

@BayouBushi

Hi Jack,
I thought your explanation was spot on as did many of us.
No need for lightening bolts at all.

7 Likes