June 13, 2021: Bible Prophecy Update

And yet you bring up your opinion often.

I never sought your stance until you sought others. You specifically put forth that one verse months ago and asked three or four times for someone’s take on it, which I endeavored to give and was criticized for. Yet you continue to dodge putting your understanding out for us to understand.

For that reason, this is fruitless discussion.

1 Like

But if by not clarifying to Violet, Ed, how you are understanding the Spirit is showing you, then I guess she should just go with what the Spirit is showing her, and there is no need for discussion? She is asking to dialogue with how to discuss. Perhaps it might seem to stray into argumentative territory to do so. But I think it is an honest question, no?

By the same approach to biblical interpretation, Calvinists say a similar thing. “It is not something your fleshly mind will be able to reason (not that you are saying…but what a neighboring thought of something I have ran into was from a nearing neighborhood of sorts). We are merely going by what the text says and God’s ways are highter than ours.” So what they end up doing is saying that if we don’t believe as Calvinists then we are not open to what the Spirit is saying. And that is their argument.

Yet I have taken the 5 year journey to unravel that through much prayer, bible study, and considering all sides. What I have found is that Calvinism (a very pro OSAS propagator) has a bias in overly complicating very very basic simple scriptures. I have seen it many times. I am just saying in their minds they believe that the Spirit has revealed deeper things to them. Well, one of the contentions of Calvinism is that it is gnostic. And by the definition of concluding an argumenta circle as they have, it would certainly seem gnostic. And I would agree with you dear brother that Calvinism is not listening to the spirit on these issues. Yet they are convinced they are. But I have found there are ways to see and discuss why they are not seeing correctly…and its right there in the word too.

So I don’t think it is so much a matter of convincing Violet, myself, or others. But the Spiritual sacrificial fruit of supernatural origin that risks delving into passages of discussion in hopes (love hopes all things) to encourage conversation where ever the Lord may take it. Paul did this at the end of ACTS. Spending days talking to Jews relentlessly (after all he ran up against from them for years). He still strove diligently to engage in discussion with them. What we don’t hear is Paul saying, “I’m not here to convince anyone.” For he was there to convince. And that’s ok. He also pronounced a judgement on them for not listening. But that was a massive historically powerful move on God’s part. Not on Paul’s.

I know it can seem to come to a place where we feel others may not want to listen or just feel like they are beyond reach of anything we can say. And that at times God may do. But Paul’s attitude was to be accursed for his brethren if that meant their salvation. He was willing to go that far. But as the parameters of discussion have been something the group here has been laying out, this is not a hostile table for discourse. When some may come to us with attitude (if that occurs), I rarely look upon that as a time to stop. But that I am getting a chance at the heart of the matter for that other persons sake. Like an invitation of sorts. Just saying…I think forum members want to sincerely maturely reasonably and in love discuss your concerns and theirs. In my understanding…that would mean it is more about the benefit of others in the forum and not as much about our levels of convincing others. Some of the best times of learning for a forum is taking it places some have never thought to have gone. In so doing…this helps people process in broader strokes. And is a kindness of the Lord in helping us all understand. In love, blessings.

2 Likes

Hebrews 6:4-6, It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Boy, I kinda wish I hadn’t delved into this study :confused:
So, Saved-by-Grace, it sounds like it’s impossible to be re-saved. So have you been able to keep yourself saved? How do you know? I’m not trying to sound sarcastic.,I’m just really confused about this.

3 Likes

This is my personal understanding.

The author of Hebrews has been urging his audience to leave the milk and move on to the meat of spiritual maturity over and over by this point in the book. I believe he is saying something along these lines in these verses.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for a Christian, who is already born again, to turn the clock back and get spiritually unborn so he can be reborn over again and restart his walk with the Lord (as a babe on milk). However, he CAN continue on toward maturity in Christ.

Hebrews 6:4-6 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

• Notice the rest of what he says:

Hebrews 6:7 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:
8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

• The above brings to mind: 1 Corinthians 3:15 If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Hebrews 6:9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.
10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

2 Likes

Hi Violet, I have heard this positions before. But I’ve never really understood it so smoothly until you have stated as you have here. Very well laid out. In this approach what would the following mean to you in your own words?

“they crucify to themselves toe Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.”

By the way…yeah nice touch with matching the thorns with the Corinthian passage. I don’t subscribe to this position. But you help clarify the beauty of considering to do so. Blessings.

1 Like

…is to subvert the preceding verses which are often conspicuously absent from the many citations of Hebrews 6:4 in argument against eternally secured Salvation:

1 Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. 3 And this we will do if God permits…

Hebrews 6

There is nothing in this world more elementary than the Gospel of Christ Jesus who, as God incarnate, died spotlessly for our sin, was resurrected and ascended to Heaven so that all who believe in Him may join His ascension and not perish but enjoy eternal life.

Equally it seems there is nothing in this world more innate than the desire to introduce some aspect of meritocracy, effort, works for gifted Grace.

24 But He, because He continues forever, has an unchangeable priesthood. 25 Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

Hebrews 7

Genuine apostacy is for the strong; I’ll stick with the meek.

9 Likes

Thanks Jason. That took a while to process. Actually I am still processing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@TCC For the avoidance of ambiguity I was totally agreeing with you.

To paraphrase Jim Carey from ‘Liar Liar’ (sorry).

Stop obeying the LAW !!! in place of Christ.

4 Likes

Basically a strong man believes in his own strength, A wise man knowing he is weak, through understanding given by the Holy Spirit, knows his strength is in God. The strong man thinks he is strong but is spiritually dead or is not relying on God.

Any correction is appreciated in this summation.

3 Likes

Hi, it seems I am late to this discussion. You are sharing nearly exactly what I have been busy writing. Hee Hee. So will share it anyway in agreement with you. I hope you don’t mind. Sorry it is so long.

CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT

The verses being discussed are part of the total writing to the Hebrews. Chapter 6 begins with the word ’ Therefore '. We must go back and see what it is ‘there for’. What was he talking about before he begins this next sentence?

Near the end of Ch. 5 he was saying He had many things to say to them but they were ‘dull of hearing’ By now they should have been teachers but “… ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God;”

Heb. 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Notice that the passage is talking about those who are saved. There are five things said about them that demonstrate this truth: 1) who were once enlightened, 2) and have tasted of the heavenly gift, 3) and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 4) And have tasted the good word of God, 5) and the powers of the world to come,

In verse 6: “If they shall fall away” is not referring to salvation but it is referring to the Christian life, about things that accompany salvation. He is talking about maturity in the Christian life and NOT about salvation or how to be saved.

Verse 6 is simply stating to Hebrews (Jewish believers who were used to a yearly sacrifice) that it was impossible for them to be saved again because “Heb 10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.” (the believers in Christ) Heb 6:1 tells us that we cannot “lay again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God.”

If a believer falls away from serving the Lord, the procedure is not to become saved again. That is impossible. It is impossible to “renew” them again unto repentance (the change of mind necessary to accept Christ as Saviour).

The point being made is that it would be impossible (IF a Christian falls away) to renew salvation. That’s because Christ died once for sin (Heb 9:28), and if His sacrifice is insufficient, then there’s no hope at all. Heb 6:6 warns that if you try to become saved again all you do is crucify Jesus Christ afresh to yourself, thereby shaming Jesus Christ.
The absurdity of the conclusion points up the impossibility of the assumption.

The Bible does not teach that one must be born again and again and again, etc. You can only be born-again once, never to be cast out (John 6:37) or lost (John 6:39). Salvation is complete and final. (John 5:24).

The solution for a believer fallen away from service to the Lord is to start serving again. We are encouraged by the words of Heb 6:10, that “God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love.” God will reward faithful service to him. (I Cor. 15:58…as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.)
God wants us to grow in knowledge of Him, to serve Him and to mature.

3 Likes

@DallasT the way you have presented it here does make sense and is sound. The folk that are being spoken to here could easily fall back into this work of sacrificing not understanding that it had already been done and the sacrifice, Jesus, was the fulfillment of the yearly sacrifice which took place before this happened.

That’s the way I understood. I read this last night. :smiley: You made it clearer for me too. Thank you

3 Likes

@DallasT I keep receiving lots of confirmation of books I have read the night before. The versus I see posted always seem to have something to do with what I am currently reading in God’s word.

2 Likes

Just a little song Pastor JD mentioned in his bible study teaching yesterday. There is a storm of thunder and lightening here, so our service may go out any moment. Hoping to return Lord willing when the lines dry enough to read the comments. God Bless you all and praying the Lord helps and strengthens each of us as we see the day approaching. :heart: :hugs: :+1: :pray: :pray: :pray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x42r53W5wWY

2 Likes

I understand your concern, Ed.
But, OSAS is so much deeper than what some think it is.
I have been in many churches and been a Christian for many years and
have never ever heard OSAS used with new believers or others to suggest
that one could live anyway because they have been saved.
Anyone who would even infer that shows serious problems in their understanding.

I was converted as a child. I have always been conscious of my sin.
Actually so conscious that it was hard to be at peace and lived unsure
that God could love me.

It took many years for me to truly understand that even though I knew
it utterly impossible for me to ever be without sin Gods love for me would never lessen.

Hit button too soon will continue next post.

2 Likes

@TCC My understanding of it.

Elsewhere in Hebrews it says some of them were feeling pressure and reverting back to participating in animal sacrifices. When this happened and they wanted to come back to fellowship with Jesus, they thought they needed to start over with all sited in verses 1 & 2 and be reborn all over again. But in fact that was impossible, and Jesus one sacrifice was sufficient to cover all their sins and to think otherwise was putting his sacrifice to open shame.

They could not be reborn all over again, but they could turn back to Christ and continue on their path to growth and maturity where they had left off.

2 Likes

Continued:

A true believer has the Holy Spirit residing within and will be very grieved when they sin. That never lessens only gets stronger.

I heard that John MacArthur, when one of his troubled students
asked him if one would sin less as they matured, answered “Yes but it
will trouble you more”.
A true convert may choose a season of sin, but they will be the most
miserable of creatures.

I have lived a long life and have strayed at times and am humbled.
The marvelous discipline of the LORD has drawn me safely back
every time and has made me even more understanding of His abounding love,
faithfulness and mercy.

One cant always see whether a person is saved or has been temporarily
fallen into sin for a season. If one has truly experienced the new birth
God is faithful to restore us even if He has to rescue us from a pigpen.

Eternal security is the understanding that can we trust in the goodness of the Lord to keep us and complete the good work that He has started in us.

8 Likes

Thank you …that makes much sense :heart:

1 Like

But what true believer would actually “walk away”? Where would the Holy Spirit go?

John 6:6-8, But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.

I think if any part of our salvation is our doing, we would ruin it for sure.

3 Likes

With the often quoted Hebrews 10:26-27

This is a great exposition of the meaning.

4 Likes

I believe you have been endlessly judging the hearts and motives
of our people.

4 Likes