Not So Fine Gardening

I haven’t had a vegi garden in years and I’m way out of practice. This year I had to raise the beds because of a gopher issue. But gophers aren’t big enough to rip down this red juicy tomato right out of the tomato cage and chomp on it last night. I’ve waited all summer for my tomatoes. This can’t be happening!!:scream:

2 Likes

Ugh, sorry Romans, that is disheartening for sure.

Well down here in Southern Louisiana we’ve rain so much rain my plants are jungle-like. Every few days I’m trimming or tying back overgrown gingers.

2 Likes

I would love to grow ginger. Is it a challenge? Doesn’t sound like it is for you, at least not this year.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have a sprouted ginger on my counter that I should plant. Never had any success with them tho, the tuber rots before roots grow :persevere: would love to hear your tips!

Your poor tomato, @Romans1013 …perhaps more likely to be a squirrel? :chipmunk:

1 Like

Could be :man_shrugging:t2:. Our squirrels are VERY squirrelly. Try to get in the house. I have a wildlife trail cam I’m thinking of putting out tonight to find out what’s eating at my maters
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Trail cams are great fun. You’ll never know what you’ll see.

2 Likes

Here we have wet soil, actually it is soggy this summer and the gingers are thriving in this moist soil & very hot temps. I have 6 different varieties of gingers: Shell, Butterfly, Pine Cone, 1 pinkCurcuma Hidden 1 purple Hidden and a variegated non-blooming type that has lovely foliage.
Everything grows huge down here. I just plant them and sometimes water, that’s all

2 Likes

Do you harvest it and use it in cooking?

Noooooo! I wonder if Liquid Fence, a safe spray to spray on your veggie plants to keep rabbits and deer away, would possibly keep the gophers away, too. I cannot get by without it, as the deer are relentless. (Our foxes seem attracted to the spray…LOL…but they don’t tend to wreck the garden. Although I did just catch one of them trying to eat rasberries off of the bushes.)

2 Likes

I got some spray to deter the deer from eating our sunflowers. It smells straight up like (what I imagine) coyote urine smells like :nauseated_face:. Maybe I’ll spritz some of that around the garden edges.

1 Like

Yep. Worth a try. I have been told that Liquid Fence smells the similar to that. It is made with garlic and rotten egg extract—horrible smell. The key is to reapply after heavy dew days and if it rains.

2 Likes

Maybe it was a neighbor :D…any evidence of salt and pepper on the ground nearby ?

4 Likes

That’s a thought actually :joy::joy::joy:

So today I realized that I killed our Ruby Falls Weeping Redbud :sob:. I actually applied an herbicide to it instead of the insecticide that I meant to. Folks, this has never happened to me before :woozy_face:. I also studied plant science yet I feel like my green thumb is turning brown. It’s official….I’m losing it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We have had so much rain this summer that planting in the ground doesn’t work.

We decided to try container gardening and it works great.

I also do aquatics and raise Tilapia

My latest project is to setup a hydroponic system

6 Likes

What a great set up!! Nice :+1:t4:
What USDA zone are you in, Ed? I see pineapple! :grin:

1 Like

We live in Florida :sun_with_face::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain::sun_behind_small_cloud::cloud_with_snow::sunny::sunny::cloud_with_lightning::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:. LOL

1 Like

7 Likes

Pineapple blueberry okra rosemary basil ?

Awesome! Does the pineapple reach maturity? That’s some good eatin’ :wink:

1 Like

Yes, they get to be about the size of a soft ball.

Very sweet.

We started them by cutting off the tops of some we bought at a farmers market and planting them.

2 Likes