Request for Prayer in Dealing with people

Just wanted to ask for some prayer in dealing with people. By nature I am not a people person, It’s always been hard for me interacting with others on a social level. That’s one reason why I like talking to people on line. It’s easier for me to get my thoughts out by typing instead of actually speaking to people in person. My whole life I have had difficulty talking to and interacting with people because of my personality. While I tend to get along with the majority of people I interact with. There are always people who I just don’t get along with even when I try to get along with them. Maybe it’s a difference in personality, or something about me they just don’t understand or just don’t like, I don’t know.

As a Christian I know I am to love others and as the Bible says pray for my enemy’s. I often pray and ask the Lord to help me see people the way He does and help me with interacting with people at work and in public in general. But I have to be honest, some days it’s so hard. Maybe it’s because the way the world is going and people are just getting worse. But I find myself (mostly at work) dealing with and coming across some of the most Petty, Childish, Rude and over all Ugly people, some of which are older then me and should know better. I tell ya, it takes every ounce of strength and the grace of God for me to not tell these people what I am truly thinking and feeling. Again to be completely open and honest, what I’m thinking and feeling is not very Christ like. I don’t like that I feel this way, it bothers me more then these kinds of people bother me with their behavior. I have never had a short fuse, but some times I feel like blowing up. Same thing when I’m out driving, the way people drive on the road makes me want to curse some times. I know we all have a flesh nature while I have yet to fully give in to the urge to curse at or throw a book a persons head. I have been tempted with the thought of doing it, so again I just want to ask for prayer that God will help me in dealing with and interacting with people. Because as much as I like the idea of becoming a recluse and not going out into society, I know that’s not what we are supposed to do as Christians, plus it’s not a very realistic life goal either.

17 Likes

I can relate to this. I went into a profession that I didn’t have to deal with people that much because well of course, people are messy. I had an injury where I couldn’t do my job anymore, and I have transformed by the power of the Holy Spirit into more of a people person than I could have ever imagined. Just ask the Spirit to fill you with the stuff listed in Galatians 5. When I get around someone I can’t stand (esp at church), I first acknowledge it to God and tell him that my natural person cannot deal with this. Then I pray the Spirit fills me to deal with the person. I am reminded that Jesus died for this person that I don’t like in my flesh, I am reminded that there is no condemnation for those in Christ, and I reminded of how wretched I am myself. I myself am repulsive to God except for the Blood of Jesus that covers me. I ask the Lord each morning to crucify my pride, my judgmentalism, etc. Since this transformation, I have been able to go out to the streets and share the gospel with strangers…again this is not my natural self…I would have never been doing this even a year ago. Each morning crucify what you know is wrong with yourself, die to yourself, and let the Holy Spirit take control of you to make you more in the image of Christ. You don’t have the power to change on your own.

11 Likes

I have, just this morning found a way to help me deal with forgiveness.
Seperate the person from the sin. See them as two separate entities.
The person is a prisoner of the sin, and unlike you, dont have the Holy spirit to help them.
Pray for and forgive the person. Ask God to deal with the sin…
God bless :heavy_heart_exclamation:

7 Likes

That’s an interesting approach, It has never occurred to me to approach people that way. Thank you.

3 Likes

Wow. What a testimony! I love hearing about how surrendering (which is so contrary to our nature) leads to victory. Reminds me of the old hymn “Victory in Jesus”.

I heard an old old story, how a Savior came from glory,
How He gave His life on Calvary to save a wretch like me!

As self-sufficient and independent as I am, I cannot save me from me. I’m a wretched creature with wretched thoughts, and it’s only through His cleansing that I’m redeemed. I have to die daily to self. Sooooo hard…but easy peasy lemon squeezy for Jesus. (I coulda carried that rhyme further but didn’t want that rhyme to get wretched, too!)

I think even the most “righteous” among us get bothered by the awful behavior that just gets worse as it’s encouraged by this self-loving population we must share the earth with, but I have to remember, but for the grace of God, there go I.
Help us, Father, to be good witnesses…that these uncouth creatures may see You in me and be curious about our glow and demeanor.

7 Likes

so true with the glow and demeanor!..along with actions and lifestyle, that is exactly what will make people curious about you…especially strangers who don’t know you that well

3 Likes

@MDLange82

Oh honey, I can relate. I worked in customer service related jobs for many years and people, well, I wanted to do a high jump over the counters and give them a knuckle sandwich more times than I can count :facepunch:t3: :confounded: :rofl: !! I honestly don’t know how I have a tongue anymore as many times that I had to bite it :grin: . My advice is to pray about it, be above it & let it roll off your back (that’s a tough one), pray for them, and remember who you’re really working for…the Lord.

Blessings & Maranatha :revolving_hearts:

6 Likes

I have been praying, and biting my tongue a lot. It’s hard though, the easiest thing I can compare it to is a swarm of mosquitos or biting flies pestering ya. At some point I want to bust out the bug zapper and go to town. But I can’t so, I try to do like you said and let it roll off my back.

4 Likes

@MDLange82

The “the customer is always right” crud is baloney! I personally think there should be respect and civility BOTH ways. More importantly, that if the customer IS in the wrong, a manager should back his employees. It’s abuse, really, what we go through and it gets OLD.

3 Likes

It’s not just the general public though some times it’s co-workers. For me personally I have two co-workers both of which are old enough to be my parents. Old enough to know how to treat people with professional respect and curtesy. They easily give it to everyone else but not to me, but like I said in my original post. I see the same kind of selfish, petty, rude, ugly behavior in people regardless where I am at. Life has taught me I can’t honestly and completely trust anyone and I hate feeling that way. I want to be able to trust people ya know? I’m just sick of it all, and I know at the root its all sin, I guess that’s really what I’m sick of all the sin I’m tired of seeing in others and seeing the symptoms of it in people.

5 Likes

@MDLange82

I hear ya…coworkers, been there-done that-saw the sequel😁! It’s tough, real tough. Prayer, a talk with a manager perhaps to change shifts?? I bet you thought of this too, but perhaps, God has you right where he wants you for reasons unknown to you too. Maybe with that in mind, a different perspective, will help you see and deal differently too. There just may be a greater good going on here and think of it as a privilege to be used of God. Just be the best advocate, representative and witness of Christ that you can.

You BE you…the world will adjust :grin: :ok_hand:t3: !!!

3 Likes

Hello MDLange82,

There are more people like you than you think. I too deal with a lot of the same issues and TBFL said it right. God can use our personality in ways we don’t understand or can even imagine. Giving the problem to Him and surrendering to the authority and power of the Holy Spirit will bring us true understanding and strength to overcome the sinful part of our personality. I deal with a lot of your issues on an hourly basis and the Holy Spirit is always there to convict me and I now, for the most part, have been able to keep from repeating the same sinful behavior. Memorize the Word a little each day and watch how the Lord will do amazing things in your life.
Praying for you!

4 Likes

Oh my goodness, you sound just like me. I have such a hard time dealing with people too. It is so bad that other than work I am a total recluse. I try so hard to get along with people but they don’t want to get along with me. I don’t understand why people feel the need to make me feel like a useless human being. I too have had very bad thoughts like the rapture happening and me looking down as I go up waving to all those people that are being mean. I truly understand you, but we gotta keep on going and doing what we know is right. Jesus will be back for us soon and we gotta keep praying for those who don’t know him. I will be praying for you .

9 Likes

Wow!
I can relate.
Not so much cussing but just frustration with others yet knowing as a Christian I’m to live others.
I so appreciate you sharing this. I beat myself up daily because I start out with a prayer and intentions to do the opposite of how my flesh wants to respond but nevertheless at the end of the day, I’ve failed again.
I’m thankful and humbled by God’s mercy on me and remember there’s a new day to start over. But boy, do I understand about needing the Holy Spirit outside of myself and of my failed attempts to change this by my own efforts.
God bless you.

4 Likes

I’m praying for you. I have a couple of things I pray might help. Sometimes we can’t see that someone else might be in pain. When my mom was dying of cancer, I was stressed. I was trying to take care of her and was always rushing everywhere because I had to leave her home alone to go anywhere, such as grocery shopping. I wasn’t myself. My temper was short. I’m sure I hurt or offended at least a few people. I heard a story years ago that I try to keep in mind whenever I’m around an angry person. It goes something like this.
It was about a man who was on a bus or train with a few totally unruly children. He didn’t reprimand them and someone there was angry and asked him why he wasn’t doing something to control his children. He answered that they had just left the hospital where their mother had died and he didn’t know how to tell them. I don’t know if this is a true story, but we really don’t know what’s going on in people’s minds. Sometimes being unusually kind to people that aren’t nice will open their eyes and they will notice you as a fellow human being. It’s really hard, I know, to be kind to someone who isn’t kind to you. Kindness in the midst of hostility tends to catch people off guard.
Another thing that helped me is a supplement called natural calm. It’s just a magnesium supplement but it helps me so much when I’m feeling stressed.
I pray that this might help you. God bless you and all here who pray for each other.
We are the family of God.

6 Likes

Thank you :blush:
I do try to remind myself that I don’t know what others are dealing with and that some may not be saved and have a soul that will spend eternity in 1 of 2 places.
Thank you for the encouragement and the information on the supplement.

1 Like