Strange thoughts? Imagination? Or something else?

I wanted to ask something, but there isn’t really a category for other topics. But maybe I need some prayer so maybe this is the right category to post this in.

Last night before bed, I took time to pray, I was alone in my living room, most of the lights were off and my wife had already gone to bed.

After I was done praying I got up from my recliner and as I turned toward the hall to go to the bathroom. I don’t know how to explain this. It was like in my mind I imagined this horrible thing/monster/creature/demon whatever was right there facing me snarling as I turned. It was weird, this was all in my mind. It didn’t realy physically happen. I was alone in my living room.

I don’t watch horror movies now and haven’t in many years. I didn’t feel anything at that moment, but the thought did spook me a little. I shook it out of my mind and I went into the back of the house to the bathroom. As I was back there I just felt like I needed to call on Jesus. So as I got ready for bed I prayed and worshiped the Lord more. I felt at peace, felt what I believe was the Lords presence.

But now, thinking back to last night I almost wander if that was more then a passing thought caused by indigestion. Or if something spiritual was happening and didnt realize it? If so I could use some prayer. More prayer the better I say.

19 Likes

I’d say spiritual. Something to drop your guard perhaps, I say this because it happens to me quite frequently. I have seen a dark figure once in my life challenge me in a room. Other than that, I have thoughts of things like this hit me at different times. I believe we are getting amped up attacks to throw us off balance.

Sometimes I would suggest picking something inanimate to focus on. Ice cream bar. A sock. The radio. Think of a praise song. Make up a praise song. Ask yourself what color socks would God wear to some event. Anything to shake what is trying to come into your mind.

8 Likes

Thanks for the advice Jon, it was so weird and out of the blue, I literally just got done praying when this happened. I have had random weird thoughts pop into my head in the past, but this one like I said spooked me some it was just weird. I think part of my concern is that something evil is trying to enter my home, but we don’t bring anything into the house or watch anything that might “open doors” so im not sure how that can happen. I can’t say I have ever seen anything like as you described dark figures or anything like that. Again, this was like a thought or image that popped into my mind. Maybe it has something to do with the times in which we live. I do feel like evil is getting worse and more in our face. you can’t even watch a youtube video of something innocent without seeing an advertisement for some demonic looking movie pop up.

9 Likes

Just remember whatever is happening, your rock and salvation are God and nothing can penetrate that truth. Place whatever concern you have into His hands as I am sure you do already and don’t worry about it or be concerned over it. Think to yourself, “God has this.” And move forward. Like I said, this is undoubtedly to throw you off balance.

11 Likes

You are right, thank you.

4 Likes

IMHO, spiritual. Because of the timing, right after you had finished praying. Don’t you think this was an opportune time for satan to attack?

And when you called out to Jesus, He answered and gave you peace.

4 Likes

I’ve had similar experiences. Verbally rebuke whatever it is to be gone in the name of Jesus. I also find that having my Bible open on my nightstand as well as traditional hymns playing in the house helps. The attack on the believer is getting more intense. I pray each day for protection of whatever the enemy is planning to trip me up with

10 Likes

I get the notion these minions are hard up for attention at times. It’s like someone trying to grab your attention and like Val Kilmer in Tombstone, you just have to say, “Oh, I’m sorry minion, I forgot you were there. You may go now.”

Humor aside, I think all these things going on, while trying to derail us, they can’t compute it just draws us nearer to Christ.

5 Likes

Some years ago I had a lot of sleeping paralysis but I didn’t know what it was. (SP are when you sleep on your back, drink too much coffee, cola, alcohol). Science can explain it It’s not demonic but often we see demons, wolfs, aliens, spiders, nightmare visions… and in my cases it was demons. As we are “paralyzed” during the SP (between a dream state and a consciousness state), I was really scared thinking the demons were real and I wasn’t able to move (but demons are not real during a SP, it’s our imagination), the only solution I had was to ask with a loud voice “GOD help me!!!”, and I woke up all the time. 100% accuracy.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear some other people have had odd stuff similar to that happen. Normally I dismiss stuff as imagination, indigestion or something I saw or heard triggering something. I have never been the kind of person to have “visions” “prophetic dreams” or see evil spirits or whatever apparitions people talk about seeing. We really do need to be on guard for demonic attacks, no matter how subtle. Something about that weird little experience had me wandering if there was more to it.

1 Like

Hotchiwawa I was completely awake at the time, this was not sleep paralysis, but yes I know what your talking about and that can screw with your head and make you think all kinds of terrifying stuff.

One day, I woke up and had hypno images (I saw triangles turning, we have them all the time at a start and end of dreams but we don’t remember), until I go down the stairs to the bathroom and upstairs in my bed I had them!!! Maybe I was at proximity to be a sleepwalker. Very strange.

I went through a few episodes of sleep paralysis and in those times, I would see really bright light while my eyes were closed, and I couldn’t open my eyes to wake up. I could barely call out, but I would manage to mumble, “Jesus, Jesus…” The episodes would immediate stop after I called His name.

4 Likes

You are right, there is no reason to fear them. In the end they have to submit to the name of Jesus Christ. Satan and his minions are already defeated, they have no hope. We on the other hand do have hope and power in Christ Jesus.

9 Likes

:heart:

Praying for you and your family, @Matthew82

13 Likes

Focus on the Lord - yes, things that are above and not down here on this fallen earth. Keep this in your mind and heart for a greater part of the day. Then these dark things will go away - prayer, patience and perseverance helps.

6 Likes

I was taught as a child to plead the blood of Jesus in times like this. And “ resist the devil and he will flee from you”
I am so thankful that I was taught this; I have have used this many times in my life. The oppression has to leave His children. ( for the moment)

Lord, thank you for Your protection, and thank You for making us aware of our growing need to call on You. Thank you for the shed blood of Jesus that makes it possible for us to even ask. Amen.

10 Likes

the reason this is strange to me, is I’ve been experiencing something similar for 2 nights now. at evening when I’ve gone into the bathroom, for a split second I think I see a monster or a big piece of strange mold in the sink or in the toilet. I get frightened for a moment but it proves to not be there. I’ve found it strange. I have always been “afraid of the dark” and automatically fear seeing ghosts when the lights go out. but once the lights are on I am not afraid. so this thing happening, has been strange to me, just 2 evenings in a row now, when the lights are on. I wonder if it’s related to what you’re experiencing. the coinciding timing is weird, as I’ve never had this before.

I too wondered if it’s spiritual but it’s easy to forget once I leave the room, and I didn’t see details as strong as you did. thanks for bringing it up, it is very weird. I am praying for you and now I’m praying for me too lol. maybe we are anticipating seeing such things because there really is horror ramping up around us. it may not be in our own homesteads but the anticipation IS in US right now. that’s one explanation I can think of.

yesterday I felt overwhelmed by 2 bad things that happened outside of my control. I had done nothing wrong but still had to deal with the consequences. my husband and I continued our reading-through of the Bible late last night, and this time it was psalms 26 and 27. they REALLY spoke to my heart in terms of what I’m going through out of my control. I think you will find great comfort in these passages as well. I will paste them here. God bless you, and we shall trust in Him!!! :

A Prayer for Divine Scrutiny and Redemption

A Psalm of David.

26 Vindicate me, O Lord,
For I have walked in my integrity.
I have also trusted in the Lord;
I shall not slip.
2 Examine me, O Lord, and prove me;
Try my mind and my heart.
3 For Your lovingkindness is before my eyes,
And I have walked in Your truth.
4 I have not sat with idolatrous mortals,
Nor will I go in with hypocrites.
5 I have hated the assembly of evildoers,
And will not sit with the wicked.

6 I will wash my hands in innocence;
So I will go about Your altar, O Lord,
7 That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving,
And tell of all Your wondrous works.
8 Lord, I have loved the habitation of Your house,
And the place where Your glory dwells.

9 Do not gather my soul with sinners,
Nor my life with bloodthirsty men,
10 In whose hands is a sinister scheme,
And whose right hand is full of bribes.

11 But as for me, I will walk in my integrity;
Redeem me and be merciful to me.
12 My foot stands in an even place;
In the congregations I will bless the Lord.

An Exuberant Declaration of Faith

A Psalm of David.

27 The Lord is my light and my salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the strength of my life;
Of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When the wicked came against me
To eat up my flesh,
My enemies and foes,
They stumbled and fell.
3 Though an army may encamp against me,
My heart shall not fear;
Though war may rise against me,
In this I will be confident.

4 One thing I have desired of the Lord,
That will I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
All the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the Lord,
And to inquire in His temple.
5 For in the time of trouble
He shall hide me in His pavilion;
In the secret place of His tabernacle
He shall hide me;
He shall set me high upon a rock.

6 And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me;
Therefore I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle;
I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the Lord.

7 Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice!
Have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
8 When You said, “Seek My face,”
My heart said to You, “Your face, Lord, I will seek.”
9 Do not hide Your face from me;
Do not turn Your servant away in anger;
You have been my help;
Do not leave me nor forsake me,
O God of my salvation.
10 When my father and my mother forsake me,
Then the Lord will take care of me.

11 Teach me Your way, O Lord,
And lead me in a smooth path, because of my enemies.
12 Do not deliver me to the will of my adversaries;
For false witnesses have risen against me,
And such as breathe out violence.
13 I would have lost heart, unless I had believed
That I would see the goodness of the Lord
In the land of the living.

14 Wait on the Lord;
Be of good courage,
And He shall strengthen your heart;
Wait, I say, on the Lord!

6 Likes

if I hadn’t Believed, I wouldn’t believe your story lol. but this similar thing happened to me when I was just starting to believe. having to rebuke an oppressive presence and then it was gone. that is what part of kept me interested in the Word at the time, having that crazy experience. so I believe you. thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

I have had on several occasions noticed a shadow just outside my direct vision and when I turn to look at it, it’s gone. Maybe my imagination maybe not.

4 Likes