Thoughts, Encouragement, Wisdom & Fellowship

Their doctrine of Election is a major “depression” trigger – in the sense of discouragement coming from doubting ones’ election/salvation; look at Spurgeon and the Puritans; their writings emanate to this day the fear and depression they experienced.
If one is struggling with doubt, I encourage them to listen to Andy Woods’ “Soteriology” series on YT. He did an absolutely amazing job at explaining Salvation and Assurance of Salvation, all backed up by the Bible.

Years ago I heard MacArthur teach on the Mahdi, the muslim messiah, interesting theory, I was not curious to pursue it more.
One thing I like about MacArthur is how he proves JW religion is a false one. I once had to debate a co-worker who was JW, and MacArthur’s teaching came in very handy. The lady was not at all open to challenge her set in stone beliefs, so she never contacted me after that debate. I was very respectful, kind, yet firm.

That makes sense. Imagine Isaac accepting Ishmael as Messiah. :slight_smile:

If all comments are turned off, FB will probably be useful. lol :joy:

Thanks for all your thoughts on this. God Bless!

1 Like

Absolutely prayer implies humility.

And not only humility but a healthy dose of pure realism.

The reality of the human condition is tragic, and to admit that absolutely requires that I am honest about this tragic reality of the lost condition of all human beings.

Great point about humility @goodboy

God Bless!

2 Likes

1 Like

For all of you praying men and women of God, I pray the teaching below encourages you in your prayer work for the LORD.

GREATER WORKS

And greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto My Father. John 14:12

Prayer does not fit us for the greater works; prayer IS the greater work.

We think of prayer as a commonsense exercise of our higher powers in order to prepare us for God’s work. In the teaching of Jesus Christ prayer is the working of the miracle of Redemption in me which produces the miracle of Redemption in others by the power of God. The way fruit remains is by prayer, but remember it is prayer based on the agony of Redemption, not on my agony. Only a child gets prayer answered; a wise man does not.

Prayer is the battle; it is a matter of indifference where you are.

Whichever way God engineers circumstances, the duty is to pray. Never allow the thought—“l am of no use where I am”; because you certainly can be of no use where you are not. Wherever God has dumped you down in circumstances, pray to Him all the time.

“Whatsoever ye shall ask in My name, that will I do.” John 14:13

We won’t pray unless we get thrills, that is the most intense form of spiritual selfishness. We have to labor along the line of God’s direction, and He says pray.

“Then He said to them, "The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; therefore, pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.” Luke 10:2

There is nothing thrilling about a laboring man’s work, but it is the laboring man who makes the conceptions of the genius possible; and it is the laboring saint who makes the conceptions of his Master possible. You labor at prayer and results happen all the time from God’s standpoint. What an astonishment it will be to find, when the veil is lifted, the souls that have been reaped by you, simply because you had been in the habit of taking your orders from Jesus Christ.

The insights are from Oswald Chambers. Bear in mind he was a British Baptist evangelist born in 1874. He died in 1917 at the age of 43. His life story is fascinating.

In 1915, a year after the outbreak of World War I, Chambers suspended the operation of a Bible School he had started and was accepted as a YMCA chaplain. He was assigned to Zeitoun, Cairo, Egypt, where he ministered to Australian and New Zealand troops, who later participated in the Battle of Gallipoli.

Chambers raised the spiritual tone of a center intended by both the military and the YMCA to be simply an institution of social service providing wholesome alternatives to the brothels of Cairo. When he told a group of fellow YMCA workers that he had decided to abandon concerts and movies for Bible classes, they predicted the exodus of soldiers from his facilities. “What the skeptics had not considered was Chamber’s unusual personal appeal, his gift in speaking, and his genuine concern for the men.” Soon his wooden framed “hut” was packed with hundreds of soldiers listening attentively to messages such as “What Is the Good of Prayer?”

Confronted by a soldier who said, “I can’t stand religious people,” Chambers replied, “Neither can I.”

Chambers irritated his YMCA superiors by giving away refreshments that the organization believed should be sold so as not to raise expectations elsewhere. Chambers installed a contribution box but refused to ask soldiers to pay for tea and cakes.

Chambers was stricken with appendicitis on 17 October 1917, but resisted going to a hospital on the grounds that the beds would be needed by men wounded in the long-expected Third Battle of Gaza. On 29 October, a surgeon performed an emergency appendectomy; however, Chambers died 15 November 1917 from a pulmonary hemorrhage. He was buried in Cairo with full military honors.

His wife typed out his speeches after he died and that’s how his books were born. Most of what he wrote is too complex for me, but the more I read more of his writings make sense and edify me, with the interpretation of the book of Job being the one I cherish most:

Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him!” Job 13:15

Blessings to all!
@channah

2 Likes

God Wants To Reward You!

Now that the rapture is near, do you find that you have more problems and primarily with people? If you don’t, maybe you don’t need to be tested. However, I have found while I do have other problems, most are with people.

I just realized that God is allowing that to test me and reward me. You see we are not rewarded for being nice to people that are nice to us. That is very easy to do and non-believers will do that. Jesus asks us to be kind and loving to everyone including those who treat us badly.

Why? Mainly as obedience to what God asks of us, but Jesus also lets us know we will be rewarded for our behavior.

Matthew 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Matthew 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
Matthew 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
Matthew 5:47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

1 Like

Have you ever had what I would call a “Divine Appointment”? Meaning something that you are sure that God arranged? I have had many and I find it to be very encouraging. Here is the latest one that just happened this week.

A Divine Appointment

So I purchased a purse for my daughter for her birthday from Amazon. When I received a notice from Amazon that the package was delivered, I informed my daughter. My daughter who lives in an apartment claimed the package was not delivered. So I decided to wait before doing anything, thinking it might show up later. I contacted my daughter a couple of days later and she said it still had not arrived.

So I contacted Amazon for a refund and was told to contact the seller, as it was not an Amazon product. So I am thinking what a pain, but when I contacted the seller (through Amazon), I was surprised how kind the seller was who told me I would get a refund right away which I did. So then I ordered the same purse from another seller that could deliver it to my daughter faster.

The very next day my daughter tells me that she now has the package from the original seller. So I ask her when it came? She said it was there all along, but for some reason she thought it was for her neighbor. Why? I have no idea and she could not explain that either. So now I have to find out how to return the purse, as she would be getting the other one that I ordered that was already on the way.

So I contact the seller with the new information and asked how I should return it. I was told to try going through Amazon and if that did not work, to let the seller know. So I contacted Amazon and that process seemed to work well. I requested a return authorization label from Amazon via E-Mail which I received right away. I also requested a hard copy of the return authorization label sent to my daughter, as she has no printer to print out the return authorization label.

Now I am waiting over two weeks and my daughter does not receive the return authorization label, which expires on February 8th. So I contact the seller again stating my situation and how frustrated I had become. The seller responded that I should just keep the purse and let my daughter either keep it or give it to someone. I respond to the seller with how very nice that was and God Bless!

The seller responded with “May God bless you”. I then responded with “Not sure who your God is, but mine is Jesus” and sent the seller my testimony.

Below is the response I received from the seller after receiving my testimony.

Begin seller response:
Jesus Christ is also my Lord and Savior! Thank you for sharing your testimony.

I was not raised up with any religion, I went to Catholic school when I was child and young teen because of the high standard of education. I was taught about God and the Bible. After the first year of college, a friend’s daughter-in-law drove me down to Florida to work for the summer, she drove me to and from work everyday. I went to church with her on Sundays, the people at church were very warm and loving.

I begin to understand Christ from the sermons. I wanted to answer the alter call so many times but thought that I will have to change my life. One day, during the alter call, I felt a pair of invisible hands gently pushing me forward.

I accepted Christ as my Savior with much crying and sobbing from the heart.

That was almost 50 years ago. There has been many trials and tribulations, He carry me through each one of them.

It is so wonderful to meet a fellow Christian here. Life has been so stressful in the current state and world affair. I have to keep reminding myself that God is in control daily. To look up to Him and not look too much around me.

My dear friend, God meant for this to happen. I have been a bit discouraged lately and then, boom, I received a message from a fellow Christian on Amazon of all places. This is amazing! This is His way of showing His loving kindness to us.

Our God is awesome!
End seller response:

I have been so built up from this experience!!! :+1: Goodboy :grinning:

10 Likes

That’s quite an experience @goodboy, thank you for sharing it. I pray God continues to use you as He pleases.

God bless you!
:hugs:

2 Likes

I just read Paul’s words from Acts 20:13-38; the example he is for us is remarkable, his complete dedication to serve the LORD, spreading the Gospel of Grace, teaching the Truth of God’s Word, going through trials, chains and tribulations because he obeyed God rather than men, and to affirm that none of those difficulties moved him (v. 24), and he was as determined as he could be to finish his race with joy, to complete his ministry given to him by the LORD Jesus Himself – to testify the Gospel of the Grace of God.

He spoke of his soon departure and how he responsibly declared the whole counsel of God, urging them to be very careful about the flock, warning them about “savage wolves” coming after his departure, not sparing the flock. Paul also said that some would rise up from among the flock, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples – that is to prevent them from bearing much fruit.

Paul urges them to watch and commended them to God and to the WORD of His grace which is able to build them up (edify).

Knowing he would not live much longer, Paul’s last wish was to know them solidly grounded in the Word. (v. 32)

I know the situation was unique for Paul in his time, but our situation is unique as well, we need to watch, pray and stay in the Word of God so we can also finish our race with joy, just like Paul did (v. 24).

Acts 20:13-38

18 And when they had come to him, he (Paul) said to them: "You know, from the first day that I came to Asia, in what manner I always lived among you,

19 serving the Lord with all humility, with many tears and trials which happened to me by the plotting of the Jews;

20 how I kept back nothing that was helpful, but proclaimed it to you, and taught you publicly and from house to house,

21 testifying to Jews, and also to Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

22 And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there,

23 except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me.

24 But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

25 And indeed, now I know that you all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, will see my face no more.

26 Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all men.

27 For I have not shunned to declare to you the whole counsel of God.

28 Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.

29 For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock.

30 Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves.

31 Therefore watch, and remember that for three years I did not cease to warn everyone night and day with tears.

32 So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.

33 I have coveted no one’s silver or gold or apparel.

34 Yes, you yourselves know that these hands have provided for my necessities, and for those who were with me.

35 I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ "

36 And when he had said these things, he knelt down and prayed with them all.

37 Then they all wept freely, and fell on Paul’s neck and kissed him,

38 sorrowing most of all for the words which he spoke, that they would see his face no more. And they accompanied him to the ship.

God bless you all!

This is a daily prayer for me. Thank you, Anca. God gave you the words to heal me today. Love you, girlfriend!

1 Like

Oh how encouraging to hear this story. That is definitely a BUT GOD story and one I think you should send to JD. Maybe he could use it in a sermon…lol. But really, this is the life we look forward to when we get to see a fellow believer blessed by something we did out of frustration AND wanting to do the right thing. That is truly the work of the Holy Spirit. Thank you for sharing it and giving your brothers and sisters more hope today!!

2 Likes

Wow, this was me last night. I was brought to tears like a child from an injection I rec’d earlier yesterday. At bedtime I had a fierce headache and RLS which I rarely get. At 3 a.m. still not asleep I asked the Lord if He wanted me to pray for someone, anyone, but no one came to mind. I waited for what seemed hours but only minutes, then my ex-sister-in-law came to mind. I wasn’t sure I should pray for her as I felt God remove her from my life, but there she was, again. I asked God, what I should pray about; nothing came to mind. I cried and told the Lord she needs to know you. Send someone to her that will open her eyes like never before. She is a devout Catholic and has rejected salvation thru Christ alone. Her last words to me are “I WILL DIE CATHOLIC”. I have not accepted this, but God knows her heart. I have not had one desire or word from the Holy Spirit since this time nor have I heard from her. We were as close as ex-sisters-in-laws get and I love her still. So, I will see what God will do and trust in His infinite mercy.
I felt worthless due to my pain and could only mutter, “thank you Lord for your Word and your love” in my nightly prayers. Trying to sleep and watching the hours go by I went to the only One who could help.

3:45, My headache now gone, the RLS stopped, I fell fast asleep.

Thank you, Lord!

1 Like

Love you, too Carol Anne. I thank the LORD for you! Keep fighting the good fight until He comes!

1 Like

Fighting, but not on my knees. That is where the injection was…lol!

We are soldiers in the army.
We have to fight; I know we have to fight.
We have to hold up the blood-stained banner,
We have to hold it up until He comes.

This was a song my momma taught me and my brothers to sing. It is printed on my heart!
We sang it for the congregation one Sunday night back in 1963. My mom found some old soldiers’ uniforms at the thrift store, and we wore them in this skit. My New Testament tucked tightly into my breast pocket, we entered the sanctuary at the back and walked down the middle isle singing this song. At the front stage we turned around and I was to pull my Bible out of my pocket and say “Here is my blood stained banner”, but all I could get out was “It’s stuck. I can’t get my Bible out”.

Needless to say, everyone got a good laugh, but I was so saddened to not be able to get to my “Banner”. I feel that way still some days, then I just laugh to myself and remember that I have one in every corner of my house, on the walls, and in wall prints. I’m good!!! LOL

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this story and song. We fight the good fight with offense weapons such as The Word and Prayer.
I look at our submission to God as our defense weapon when the enemy roars around us.
Help us LORD submit to You and pray all kinds of prayers, and stay in the Truth of Your Word.
We will always overcome when we do these 3 things:

• submit to God
  • pray
  • remain in the Word

The Holy Spirit in us will make us victorious when we are in God’s will.

May the LORD strengthen us all to do everything within our power— obey, pray, remain in His Word — so we can overcome the world just as our LORD has overcome through His perfect obedience to the Father.

Blessings!

1 Like

What a beautiful prayer and encouragement to start my sonshine day. Thank you.

1 Like

Let the Bible Speak For Itself

Let us start with the fact the Bible is God’s Word and the TRUTH. If you do not believe that, then don’t waste your time reading any further.

The Bible has many very simple truths in it that anyone can understand. However, many people override the simple truths with some more so-called complex study. Here is the problem. If you contradict what the Bible clearly states, then you have to throw out those simple truths and might as well create a new Bible without those statements.

Let me first explain the principle with an example or analogy of what I mean.

Let’s say you have a friend named John. Let’s say that John never lies. I know that’s a stretch, but this is my story. So John tells you he has quit his job. You ask John why he quit. He tells you that he was not making enough money. At first you believe him and tell others that ask you why John quit.

Later John says he is so glad that he quit his job, as he hated his boss and his new boss is great. You now think that the real reason John quit his job is because he hated his boss and now tell others that. Huh? If that is the real reason John quit his job that would mean that John lied to you when you first asked him. But wait we already established that John never lies. This creates a contradiction.

So back to the Bible. Here are some verses that anyone can understand which say salvation is a FREE GIFT and that no works are required.

Romans 5:15 - But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many

Romans 5:16 - And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

So how can any Christian religion claim that we must work to be saved? They would have to throw out the verses I have listed no matter what other verses they come up with.

Let the Bible Speak For Itself

4 Likes

Pray for Joe Rogan, he’s very close to believing in Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior… i’m not going to share the video that Jason A shared last night because there’s alot of cuss words coming out from Joe Rogan’s mouth but he has mentioned Jesus’s name a few times. If you want to watch the video, it’s at Jason A yt channel.

3 Likes

@goodboy

What greater motivation can there be to live a godly life than the fact that God loves us unconditionally?

To be surrendered to God [abandoned to God] is of more value than our personal holiness.

He cares about our personal holiness/devotion only within the context of how we use it, because concern over our personal holiness causes us to focus our eyes on ourselves, and we become overly concerned about the way we walk and talk and look, out of fear of offending God.

We cannot offend God any worse than our sin nature already has.

Once we’ve accepted Jesus, God looks at us through “grace colored lenses—the blood of Christ,” and sees our sin no more.

He can’t look upon sin.
He sees us with eyes of grace.

If what we call love doesn’t take us beyond ourselves, it is not really love.

God put each of us on earth in a specific time, place and set of circumstances for His glory.

The point of life is not to get into heaven (congratulations, you’ve already won that prize through Jesus’ death on the cross), but to share the good news to a hurting world that doesn’t recognize the joy of salvation.

That’s what love is—God sent His son that whosoever believes in Him will have eternal life.

Sharing the good news is an act of love.

(Thoughts from Oswald Chambers)

3 Likes

Jesus is the Great Dividing Line!!!

There is no in between!

It’s either Jesus or Satan! I pray you are on the winning side!

1 John 5:12
King James Version

12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

John 3:36
King James Version

36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

2 Likes

On friendship…

I personally tested this kind of friendship in my journey through life before I “bought” it.
It worked. Therefore I kept it. Chambers is right on friendship.

I wish I had a friend like him. Too bad he was born over a century before I showed up. Then he went home at the age of 43 because his mission was complete… Some are so ready to go home that the LORD just takes them at the snap of a finger, and they “fly away”.

We will fly away pretty soon, too… :yum:

1 Like