Thoughts, Encouragement, Wisdom & Fellowship

I am not sure I know the middle two verses/songs. You will have to post a video and sing them to us here on the forum. Better yet, film you and wife singing it on your next outing…lol. I would love it!

1 Like

AMEN :heart_on_fire: :pray: :person_raising_hand:

1 Like

Thank you, Stacey. There are definitely a few people that I do not pray for and should. Thank you, Lord for that reminder.

1 Like

Ohhhh I don’t think so. You might actually need earplugs :joy:

1 Like

Are You Judging, Accusing or Just Stating Facts?

To Judge: Merriam-Webster Dictionary
To form an opinion about through careful weighing of evidence.

To Accuse: Merriam-Webster Dictionary
To charge with a fault or offense : BLAME
To bring an accusation

Stating Facts:
An actual occurrence that you heard or saw yourself. Also, anything in the Bible.

The Bible says we should not judge. The main reason is because we never have all the facts. Also, because that is not our place, but God’s.

Matthew 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Matthew 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
Matthew 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Matthew 7:4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Matthew 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.

The Bible says we should not accuse as that is what Satan does. Also to accuse you must first judge someone.

Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

So what about a fact, meaning something you actually heard or saw for yourself? I believe there is no problem stating a fact. Not saying that we should not be careful as to when, to whom or where we should share the fact. Just that we are not sinning when we share an actually fact.

The safest facts that we can share are in the Bible. Any other facts as I said before we need to hear or see for ourselves.

Now that I have said all that if it makes any sense, I will get to my main point. Here is a Bible verse that many Christians often like to quote. What is the point of this verse?

Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

To understand the verse I need to add the verse before it that tells us who “them” is.

Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Ok so false prophets is who this verse is referring to. It is not speaking of judging Christians as to whether they are saved or not. Now that I have made that point let’s examine one of the words used. Matthew 7:15 says beware meaning be careful. Be careful of what? Following after or believing what false prophets have to say. How do we know who is a false prophet by their fruit, meaning if what they predict does not come to pass. So that is pretty clear.

Now I will get into what I believe can be understood by this example of how we should proceed based on Matthew 7:15 and Matthew 7:16 as I believe this is also a pattern we can use with more than just false prophets.

As I stated before we should not judge or accuse anyone, but I believe we are free to express the facts that we are aware of. Well let’s say you know as a fact that a Pastor teaches you can lose your salvation. There is nothing wrong with expressing that fact to others. Why? So that they can beware of that Pastor the same as you are. You are not judging or accusing that pastor, just stating facts.

Now if you were to state this same Pastor is not saved or is a horrible Pastor that would be judging as you don’t know his heart or maybe that is the only incorrect thing he teaches.
Now if you were to state that the Pastor teaches you can lose your salvation because someone told you that, then that would just be an accusation on your part.

So the main point I am trying to make is, yes we should be very, very careful criticizing Pastors. However stating actual facts about Pastors or someone you know is not judging, accusing or being critical. You are just stating facts you know to be true and the one hearing or reading it can decide for themselves what to do with that information.

If you knew FOR A FACT that someone was thief or a pedophile, don’t you think it would be wise to tell your friends?

Goodboy! :blush:

3 Likes

Probably a little of all three. The lines are often a little muddled. We also rarely have all the facts. Often discreet observation and prayer is best.

2 Likes

Soooo, does your wife sing like Gracie Allen??? Still, it would be sweet to hear!

2 Likes

Who is Gracie Burns? :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Oh boy. There I go again assuming everyone is my age or older. SO SORRY!!. Gracie Allen is George Burns wife. She had quite the nasally voice and a little ditsy, but what a sweet lady. Not saying your wife has her voice. Just a little sarcasm which is a service my husband usually provides daily, but it is definitely rubbing off on me…lol!

2 Likes

Lol. When I think of a voice like that I think of Fran Drescher aka The Nanny. Wow. What a voice.

1 Like

"God never again opens the doors that have been closed. He opens other doors, but He reminds us that there are doors which we have shut– doors which had no need to be shut.

Never be afraid when God brings back your past. Let your memory have its way with you. It is a minister of God bringing its rebuke and sorrow to you. God will turn what might have been into a wonderful lesson of growth for the future." (O. Chambers)

We can be such fools sometimes, yet the LORD is so gracious, yes He rebukes us, but He also teaches us to grow in the most gracious and loving way. I am not surprised that Job came to say the following:

5. I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
but now my eye has seen you.
6. Therefore I despise myself,
and I repent in dust and ashes!
(Job 42:5-6)

2 Likes

Glad I am not the only wife blessed with a husband that is so generous and perseverent regarding serving sarcasm :slight_smile: 25 years and counting so far for me. I feel privileged and honored to be his indispensable companion.

Suitable Help as per Genesis 2:18

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.

The Hebrew expression כְּנֶגְדּוֹ (kenegdo ) literally means:

• according to the opposite of him

Translations such as:

• suitable
  • matching
  • corresponding to

all capture the idea of the wife being an indispensable companion

Traditionally “helper.” The English word “helper,” because it can connote so many different ideas, does not accurately convey the connotation of the Hebrew word עֵזֶר (ʿezer).

Usage of the Hebrew term does not suggest a subordinate role, a connotation which English “helper” can have.

In the Bible God is frequently described as the “helper,” the one who does for us what we cannot do for ourselves, the one who meets our needs.

In this context the word seems to express the idea of an “indispensable companion.”

The woman would supply what the man was lacking in the design of creation and logically it would follow that the man would supply what she was lacking, although that is not stated here.
(See further M. L. Rosenzweig, “A Helper Equal to Him,” Jud 139 (1986): 277-80.)

2 Likes

I am not pointing fingers at anyone but there is a sister in Christ that is married to her husband and she is clinging tightly to some of her brothers in Christ without realizing that is called “soul ties” and i believe it’s a dangerous situation she’s in because she’s blind to the fact that she doesn’t know she’s in what’s called soul ties and if anyone can help by posting scriptures and anything else that may be helpful that i can share this with her without upsetting her. Again, this isn’t about anyone in here.

p.s. i think Pastor Mac did a sermon on this but i can’t remember which video it was.

1 Like

I am going to share this with my sarcastic “better half”. He will probably have to review, edit, suggest alterations, etc…lol. It is 45 years this June 1 for us. We are still quite opposites after all these years which is a good thing. I am short and pudgy; he is tall (6’3" and has a rootbeer belly). The only thing we have alike is our beard…lol!

Thank you for the Bible study. It is good to remember what God has done to bring us together!

2 Likes

A gentle reminder:

When someone “gossips” it doesn’t matter if she/he is your friend, it’s gossip period and like Pastor JD always say RUN FAST!!! Don’t associate with that person!

1 Like

Is there scripture that you know of on this. My first thought when I read this is, wait, my past has been confessed, repented of and washed in the soul cleansing blood of the Lamb. Why would God go dig out into the deepest darkest part of the ocean and unbury my sin? I know that my past is thrown up in my face by the evil one, but I can handle that. I couldn’t comprehend my loving God doing that, though. No criticism, just want to understand something maybe I don’t know. Thank you.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be not only boring, but also a shame if both the husband and the wife would be too much alike?
Why would an awesome God design the marriage partners in a too similar fashion?

After his faith in the LORD, it would be my husband’s keen ability to stay objective in situations where others would resort to subjective judgement. I love him for that, and I am grateful to the LORD for wiring my husband this way.
And that is only one of his strengths… I am privileged to be his wife and indispensable companion… :relieved::blush::smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi Carol Anne,
What I posted was only a quote from a devotional from O. Chambers.

He’s been dead since 1917 if I recall correctly, so it should be noted that he lived in a VERY different culture and context. While I cannot know what exactly what he meant, I can share with you what I understand from it.

The scripture he used is Luke 19:42
If you had known…in this your day, the things that make for your peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes.

I know this refers to the rejection of the Messiah, but a somewhat secondary application for me today, is that there are times in our lives when we make mistakes, we sin, we miss the target. We—His saved, forgiven children sometimes sin.
It is very unpleasant to face this reality about us, and admit that we are responsible for our faults. But it is the truth, it happens, and when it does a door is closed by us, an opportunity to grow as Christians is wasted and gone.

I know this is painful to realize, it is a very uncomfortable truth for me personally. As I write this, even though I know perfectly well that all my sins are forgiven—past, present and future, I feel profound sadness. An opportunity has been lost, one door has been shut by me when it should not have been.

When it happens, I DO go to the LORD and tell Him what I’ve done, and I know the LORD is faithful and gracious to forgive me and restore my fellowship with Him.
But there is nonetheless a loss, a door of opportunity that He provided in His providence, and what did I do? I closed it.

In His amazing grace towards us, He opens other doors and opportunities for us to grow and become more like Jesus. But the memories of our past failures show up from time to time. And when they do, I understand that I am to allow my past failures to rebuke me and feel true sorrow that leads to repentance. And as Chambers writes at the end… “God will turn what might have been into a wonderful lesson of growth for the future.

1 John 2:1

In Greek, Paracletos, the word for Advocate means one called alongside to help; or intercessor.

That Intercessor is Christ, our LORD in whom we are forever forgiven, washed clean in His atoning blood and adopted into God’s family. And nothing can change that ever.

I pray this is encouraging, and serves as motivation to grow and become more like Jesus, our LORD.

====================================================================

Below is the entire devotional, if you would like to read it in its full context.

If you had known…in this your day, the things that make for your peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes. (Matthew 23.27)

Jesus entered Jerusalem triumphantly and the city was stirred to its very foundations, but a strange god was there– the pride of the Pharisees. It was a god that seemed religious and upright, but Jesus compared it to “whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness” (Matthew 23:27).

What is it that blinds you to the peace of God “in this your day”? Do you have a strange god– not a disgusting monster but perhaps an unholy nature that controls your life? More than once God has brought me face to face with a strange god in my life, and I knew that I should have given it up, but I didn’t do it. I got through the crisis “by the skin of my teeth,” only to find myself still under the control of that strange god. I am blind to the very things that make for my own peace. It is a shocking thing that we can be in the exact place where the Spirit of God should be having His completely unhindered way with us, and yet we only make matters worse, increasing our blame in God’s eyes.

“If you had known….” God’s words here cut directly to the heart, with the tears of Jesus behind them. These words imply responsibility for our own faults. God holds us accountable for what we refuse to see or are unable to see because of our sin. And “now they are hidden from your eyes” because you have never completely yielded your nature to Him. Oh, the deep, unending sadness for what might have been! God never again opens the doors that have been closed. He opens other doors, but He reminds us that there are doors which we have shut– doors which had no need to be shut. Never be afraid when God brings back your past. Let your memory have its way with you. It is a minister of God bringing its rebuke and sorrow to you. God will turn what might have been into a wonderful lesson of growth for the future.

2 Likes

Thank you, so much dear sis. I see the meaning behind the quote a little clearer now. I may also add that even though the enemy reminds us of our sin from time to time, it’s kinda like a refresher course of God’s saving grace. I can rejoice in His goodness and how far I have come in my walk with Him. So, you see, it backfires on the enemy. Instead of feeling bad and condemned, I feel blessed and am drawn to worship and praise Him for what He has done. I know that the more I respond to the convictions of the Holy Spirit, the more of His saving power dwells in me. I want more of Him every day and that is a good thing!

How lovely a thought that He is right beside us and interceding when we cannot AND even when we can.

3 Likes