Werid or too much?

It would be so awesome if I had friends who would be willing to patient transfer me, carry me, load Sully and up (with wheelchair) and zoommmmmm together for the day!

Is that werid? Too close? Too intimate? Boundaries? Too much? Especially potty breaks.

What do you think? What would you do? How would you respond? Where would you draw the line? How would you feel? What are your thoughts?

6 Likes

That’s not really a problem. The last two years of my wife’s life I did it Complete with hospital bed and wheelchair. Fortunately for me insurance covered transportation. From the picture you seem to be a little lighter than she was. Oh we had two felines but I grew up with at least one dog around.

4 Likes

Lol! I am 93 lbs. The patient transport people love me! They carry me down 21 flights of stairs on their chair thingy. But that’s only for appointments. Nothing else.

I miss hanging out with friends. I am usually in these 4 walls mostly - I often wonder if a friend would be werided out to being a friend for a day and hang out and do some caregiving if need.

Yes having these animals are a blessing!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be weirded out. Would be happy to spend time with you and take care of you.

2 Likes

@Janet7 and @Skylark having these disabilities have challenged me to ask, even think of what that would look like in a friend. I have never experienced it. @Janet7 the giggles we would have! Lol. No one really gets that intimacy anymore in friendships - we have that so lacking in these days. It’s made me think more and deeper as to how Jesus truly said love yourself as your neighbors. As your friend. We kind do what’s comfortable. Or how society gages. My PSW says perhaps one reason is how it would look if a girl friend helped me - would people think we are gay? The judgements or assumptions? People super careful now. I had people think that my daughter and I were “partners.” So I never really thought of how society would even consider. It was different and definitely a good discussion with my PSW today. Can’t we just have close friendships and not have to worry about all that? Explaining etc. So she thought maybe that’s why some of my friends just wouldn’t.

My daughter being a goof and leaving me to hang dry with dressing me wrong. So wrong! Lol

4 Likes

Yeah, I no longer care what society thinks of me. It always mattered before I accepted Christ as my savior. It’s not what society thinks that matters - it’s what my Lord thinks.

Your daughter has a good sense of humor. I had to chuckle at that.

Real friends are so rare. Remember what John said about friends:

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

2 Likes

It does not sound weird to me, although I don’t know what zoom means… but the carrying and assisting and all doesn’t seem weird to a friend. I would not care if others people thought something off base… just shows where their mind is. :frowning:

Your Sully looks like such a sweetheart. I am alone with critters 99% of the time. It is awesome to get out sometimes–did that yesterday to visit with my daughter and granddaughter a few hours away–and I can relate to wishing for a friend.

:flushed: I might actually be able to pick you up. I have a dog with hip dysplasia about 80 that I can pick up in a pinch. I toted my 50 lb blind dog around often and built up muscles. LOL. I weigh about 143.

3 Likes

I’d do that. I’d love to hang out including helping you out. Hopefully people would realize you’re just hanging out with a friend and have enough deduction skills to figure out you kinda need some help.
I hope you don’t take this wrong @Lya but after working with 22+ children at a time, being a nurse, mother and working at veterinary clinics , pretty sure we’d be great friends and team together :kissing_heart::heart:

3 Likes

Joni Erikson Tada had some great insights on that. Not sure where to find it though.

2 Likes

They are. I do remember.
Casey is the best!

1 Like

Come on down :wink: lol
I love that you helped out.
We need more people like you guys (everyone who replied to my thread) close by. I miss the human contact I guess.

2 Likes

We would be!
The fact you’re a nurse would be
brillant with all my medical stuff.
No worries - she’s got this! Lol

3 Likes

Aw, I missed this topic somehow @Lya. I would do it. Before 2020 I used to meet up with two college roommates a couple times a year, one of which had severe back pain issues resulting from scoliosis surgery in her teens. When we would go out I was usually pushing the wheelchair since my other roommate has balance issues related to CP.

Several years ago when my daughter with CP was about 40+ pounds, she wanted to go on a “mountain” hike at camp to see the view from the top. I found a backpack carrier and within a couple hours the next time at camp we did it! That reminds me of a story/ministry I came across after that, WeCarryKevan. More impressive than the backpack carrier he and his friends designed was the sacrificial friendship offered as they carried him on a trek through Europe, no wheelchair.

https://www.christianbook.com/carry-kevan-friends-three-countries-wheelchair/kevan-chandler/9781546014744/pd/014744?event=ESRCG

1 Like