What Have You Planted

What vegetables have you planted in your garden or containers?

3 Likes

Oh boy.
Red potatoes garlic onions bush beans pinto beans zucchini cucumbers okra yellow squash herbs lettuce. Tomatoes.
Need to put in peppers this weekend and hope to get sweet potatoes in at the end of the month if i can get them.
Now,we had late freezing so much of my seed is barely sprouting still.
Praying for a good crop.

3 Likes

I haven’t thought of sweet potatoes!
You do have produce …
Blessings!

3 Likes

Praying for a good harvest to be a blessing to neighbors as well.

4 Likes

This year I am not doing a garden as I will be leaving the house I now live in by the summer. When I settle in Japan I will start up again there as I will likely never leave that country to travel the planet ever again. I will be to old for long flights.

3 Likes

Not as much as I wanted to. I’ve started some things but have an interruption this next week… need to be away for a week and won’t be here to tend the little seedlings. (My oldest brother’s funeral is this coming week.)

So far this year;

several plantings of carrots
beets
turnips
rutabaga
brussels sprouts
broccoli
cabbage
cauliflower
green onions
spinach
lettuce
celery
mint
a few early cherry tomatoes

I had wanted to get a bunch more stuff started but it’ll have to wait another week. I need to start;

early corn
more tomatoes
peppers (they take so long to germinate…)
okra
more broccoli
more cabbage
more cauliflower
more lettuce
a few different kinds of herbs and flowers

and I’m sure I’m forgetting a few

6 Likes

Wow, what an awesome garden that is BrianT. Also, sorry to hear about your brother. I am praying God’s peace and comfort for you during this time of grief.

6 Likes

Looks like you live in an area that grows good root vegetables. I have never been able to grow carrots and beets here. Nor corn.
Broccoli and cauliflower are better here in the fall.
And i have to keep my lettuce in containers to move them around to keep them from frying in the heat.

3 Likes

@Flamingogirl49563
Your climate ought to be wonderful for cucumbers squash and peppers! I remember things growing so well in SOCAL. Especially the hibiscus! Oh i love hibiscus but it doesn’t survive Texas winters very well. We have to dig them up every year. :smirk:

2 Likes

I dont have hibiscus, but my Mandavills do so well in our hot weather and I just use Miracle Grow once a month. They are so colorful

20220401_170248
BUT cactus are my favs as far as care. Just starting my garden in the last 2 yrs.

9 Likes

Good evening

In between rain showers I have gotten some potatoes and onions in

My tomato starts are doing well - the seeds are third year organic- just my opinion when times get tough organic seeds will be worth more than silver! You can’t eat that haha

2 Likes

Root veggies seem to do well here. I can’t say I have any real secret other than maybe a broadfork to keep things loosened. I also do not ever walk in my growing beds / rows. Corn does well if I can keep the raccoons out of it long enough to harvest it. Potatoes and sweet potatoes have done well. Onions have been fantastic. Beets, turnips, rutabaga, do OK if… and that’s a big if… if I thin them like they need to be. I’m terrible about trying to let too many of them in too small of a space. I’m trying to do better.

Broccoli has been wonderful for me. Seems like I can always get nice broccoli. Even had some over the winter in the small greenhouse, 3 plants to a 30 gallon grow pot, maybe 3 or 4 pots, can’t remember. Cauliflower, on the other hand, has been pretty much a failure for me. I am trying some new varieties (just started the seeds a couple of weeks ago) to see if I can finally get it to work. I asked around about what others here were growing and took some cues from them. We’ll see.

There are always challenges. Sometimes, things do better than expected, sometimes they don’t do as well. I’m always tryin’ something new or different. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. But I don’t think I could ever learn it all. I enjoy the process, even though it’s hard work sometimes.

Pruned the grape vines today and tied up the raspberries and blackberries. Those had been calling to me for attention. I’m not a master of either but I tried. LOL!! Give me another 100 years or so and I’ll have a bunch o’ stuff figured out. :wink: :smiley: (Just kidding… I honestly don’t know if we have 100 days left till we fly Home. Was talking to a neighbor yesterday, also a believer, and told her that “right now” was a perfectly fine time to go, I don’t need to wait on anything. Nothing is that important that I’d wanna wait if He wanted to come for us right now. She understood.)

1 Like

@BrianT
I hear you! Some things do great one year and wimpy the next. I try the crop rotation and I amend my soul and use organic fertilizer…
But the weather patterns have a lot to do with it.
Tomatoes were a failure 2 seasons cause we had it too dry , then too wet the next.
Last year I had EVERY seed I planted grow and i was too scared to thin them cause I thought I would lose a lot of them
They filled up the 4×6 planting box and grew 5 feet tall! I had tomatoes out of the ears all summer and fall till a frost killed them in November.
Now I can barely get them to sprout.
Also some things I planted just to see was okra in my front planter in between shrubs. I basically put seeds in the ground and left them alone.
Again! Okra out the nose! Lol!

2 Likes

Actually I did plant one of my favorites as today is the only planting day of the year to have a good harvest.

3 Likes

:nerd_face: I bet they grow easily.

2 Likes

Hey there Brian,
I’m sorry for your loss. May you have safe travels. May God bless all those who mourn your brother’s passing. Shalom.

3 Likes

Hey there Naomi,
Try sprinkling a bit of blood and bone meal around your corn. It generally saves my flowers from the deer…. might work on coons.

2 Likes

Hey there Carole Ann,
Beautiful plants! We have many century plants in a back pasture (lots of pups). A couple have bloomed in the past couple years— amazing to watch. I’d like to get a pup or two for up near the house, but it’s like they’re set in cement! Any ideas on digging a small one up?

2 Likes

They are so easy to grow. We just trimed about 10 off of this on and just pitched them. This plant was about 1 ft tall when we got it and is now about 4yrs old. It was a pup. Just cut your pup off right next to the main plant. We dont use any root booster, but do use vitamin B and water real good. Our soil is rocky/desert soil so good drainage helps. They will take off like crazy! I have some variegated ones too. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Hey there Carole Ann,
Might look into this after I get veggies and a few flower seeds situated. Thanks!

FOR ALL GARDENERS
If you want to go organic, check out Sierra Natural Science. I’ve used their products with great success for years now.

2 Likes