August 20, 2023: 1 John 3:19 -- How We Set Our Hearts At Rest

:bible2: 1 John 3:19 – How We Set Our Hearts At Rest

Pastor JD :hawaiianshirt_4: talks about how it is and why it is that we can know what love is, as the Apostle John, by the Holy Spirit, provides us with a Biblical template of sorts.

Watch on JDFarag.org
IMG_20230804_232429_213

Or watch here on youtube

:mag_right: More recent services can be watched here!

14 Likes

7 Likes

Oh how grateful I am for this message, especially for some very practical application. The HOW to restore my heart to rest and peace . . . AND especially for the understanding that it’s ok to have to keep speaking the truth of God’s promises over and over, minute by minute, if need be. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve felt condemned and questioned the authenticity of my relationship with Christ Jesus because my peace has repeatedly escaped me . . . “What is WRONG with me?” is usually the question. Today I’ve finally understood that I just need to hit repeat as often as necessary . . . And it’s OK! THANK YOU PASTOR, for getting real and sharing what this struggle against our flesh and our adversary looks like in these days where so much coming at us tries to steal our peace. Help me, Holy Spirit, to remember to put this into practice when the next peace thief comes sneaking in!

7 Likes

Thank you Pastor JD for this teaching on the Holy Spirit’s gentle and sweet but so very powerful is His working. I just love the image of us expending our energy pushing a canoe up to water’s edge until the water current (Holy Spirit) takes the boat. So familar is this feeling of letting go, only to realize, presicely at that moment the Lord takes it and He does it so swiftly. I can almost hear a wooshing sound lol.
Then I will always ask myself why didn’t I turn it over sooner and save myself the stress.

Brenda, thank you for Tis So Sweet. Would you believe, I began singing this very hymn after the sermon ended???

6 Likes

@SongSparrow ,
Just a muse here. I sense something about the struggle with the flesh that makes me wonder if the struggle is getting more difficult as we approach the Rapture because the flesh knows it’s going to be destroyed soon and it doesn’t want to let go until it slaps us around and rips us up a bit more. IDK. Anyone else feeling it?

10 Likes

The race gets the toughest, just before the Finish Line.
The enemy, will do his worst, until he can do no more.

Habakkuk 2:5 (speaking of Satan, and the Antichrist)
“Indeed, because he transgresses by wine (false teaching),
He is a proud man,
And he does not stay at home. (he has left his proper abode)
Because he enlarges his desire as (like) hell,
And he is like death, and cannot be satisfied, (his goal is to take as many with him as possible)
He gathers to himself all nations
And heaps up for himself all peoples.

Genesis 4:6
So the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it.”

Romans 7:17
But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

Romans 7:20
Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

Acts 20:24
But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

1 Corinthians 9:24
Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.

2 Timothy 4:7
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Hebrews 12:1
Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

Keep on Keepin on Sis :slight_smile: Pray for all the Saints, we are all experiencing the same thing, and if “we” are not? Someone better check themselves.

9 Likes

Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus

8 Likes

Interesting thought to consider! I’m def feel in’ the struggle. . . And feeling my age . . . Just off a week’s visit with my daughter and her fiancé. Tried again in vain to speak into their lives about the lateness of the hour. It didn’t go well. I shoulda, woulda, coulda remembered this in my devotional. I’d read it just a few days prior to our conversation gone sour. I did the best I could. Lord help me remember that it is YOU who save. Help me remember to truly surrender the ones I love to you, along with the haunting fears of leaving any of them behind. :pray:

12 Likes

My prayer is that I finish well. This life has brought a lot if black eyes and skinned knees. And also some wrong turns. I hope to stay on the path in the home stretch. Almost home!

6 Likes

How hard it is to let go of the ones we love! Knowing we must decrease while He increases, doesn’t make it easy.
And then we question do we speak at all and if so, when? When is speaking truth into their lives too much?
Thanks Brenda for sharing! It encourages me to know someone understands. I just prayed for your children again. :pray::heart:

8 Likes

Thank you for sharing this, @SongSparrow Brenda!:rose:

5 Likes

That is the dilemma for sure. Thank you, thank you for lifting my children in prayer again. It helps the weight to lift from my heart. Bless you. Bless you. And bless you again.

Father, whatever need is on Letitia’s heart tonight, meet it for her in the name of Jesus. Bless her as she is a blessing to me. Amen

8 Likes

:smiling_face: you are so very welcome. I’m encouraged to hear it may have blessed you. :heart:

4 Likes

I think there is a beautiful song in there somewhere, sis. So thankful the Holy Spirit is pulling the last of our flesh off of us in preparation.

Any moment now Holy Spirit prepare my heart to meet you in glorious truth.
Any moment now I feel you will be here.
Any moment now the Saints will all be gathered.
Any moment now my life with you begins.

F O R E V E R

8 Likes

Oh that it would be today!

4 Likes

Bluebonnet yes i feel it. The struggle is real. I served in the U.S. Army a while ago and have always had that soldier spirit. I became a single mother (fled an abusive husband) and always prayed to God to help me raise my 2 sons. He was always with me. I can’t tell you how many times I heard a voice telling me to wake up, as I drove 70 mph on the freeway after working nights at my hospital! The actions such as working my 12 hr night shifts, working on papers for college classes coming off of a 12 hr shift and no sleep, raising the kids etc well i used my soldier spirit to march through those hard times. A part of me wants to fight for the citizens and all of the wrong i see around me. It’s just that soldier spirit i have. I realize though that only God can fix what’s going on in the world. I just pray every day and pray i will have God just take me.

5 Likes

God still has us here, for a reason…

What has He got for us, corporately, and individually to do?

Galatians 6:9
And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.

2 Thessalonians 3:13
But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good.

1 Peter 3:14
But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you are blessed. “And do not be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled .”

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

7 Likes

That was beautiful. I too have unsaved loved ones and need to heed this message.

6 Likes