August 22, 2021 – Hebrews 10:23-25 - Last Days Christians

Hello Kathryn,

Sounds to me like your looking for a church to get baptized? I pray you find the right church.
I have to ask though, are you being told that being baptized is what truly saves you or completes the process as you say? Or worse that you’re not saved unless you are baptized?

J.D’s ABC’s of salvation is all you need and is complete already! Baptism, as important as I believe it to be, IS NOT a requirement of salvation. If you are being told this it is false doctrine. I’m not saying dont get baptized, I’m saying dont hinge your salvation on it.

DO NOT put your faith in your works ie: baptism, nothing you can do will save you.
Put your faith in HIS BLOOD that HE shed for you! This is the grace of God, HE did the work, all you have to do is accept the free gift by believing in your heart!

I hope you take this in the loving way it is meant!

Shalom!

5 Likes

I will pray especially for her…lil and may God give you His peace…that passes all understanding…:rose::rose::rose:

4 Likes

Thank you KDG for your care and concern. I was saved and baptized at the age of 13. I certainly took your words in love.

I wrote my comment rather confusingly, and I apologize. In the Church of Christ, a person is not considered fully saved unless they confess to two or more people that Jesus is the only begotten son of God, and repent of their sins. After the confession and acknowledgement to live apart from the world as a disciple of Jesus Christ, the person is baptized immediately or ASAP to complete the washing away of sin, hence the process is not complete and they are not saved until all of this done. That was the long answer. :slightly_smiling_face:

This is the church that I grew up in and my father is a firm believer that anything a MAN says that attends the CofC is correct, even if it contradicts God’s word. I have read the KJV out loud to him and if it counters his beliefs, he dismisses it. Unbelievable! Sadly, there is plenty of false teaching going on in the CofC. My father has on multiple times told me to not talk to his brother, a fresh born-again-believer. My uncle is looking up to my father for knowledge and guidance.

Blessings

6 Likes

FB, Twitter, etc. are able to “push” anything they want onto your devises. This includes pictures, videos, articles, texts, you name it, they can do it… and put it on your phone, TV, laptop…any device. I suspect the photo that you described is an example of a picture being pushed onto your FB account. All that talk of forgiveness by Jesus was probably too much for the algorithm or fact checkers. :grin:

I am surprised that I have not been in FB jail because I post scripture.

Blessings

4 Likes

No need to apologize Sister!
I was the one who misunderstood what you wrote so I apologize to you.

I pray you can reach your dad and uncle that they see hear and accept the truth in Gods word.

Shalom🙏

4 Likes

Thank you Neil, I appreciate it.

Blessings

3 Likes

I as well can not find a place to ask a question about baptism. Hopefully someone will see it here.

A brief overview.

I was saved and baptized around age 8-10. I can’t remember exactly. In my early 20’s I was questioning whether a child that young could understand what they are doing . On top of that I heard preacher give a sermon that if you fall back into a life of continuous sin that you should ask yourself if you were really saved at all. Those questions gripped me and I decided to give my life to Jesus again and get baptized again.
That leads me to now. I fell back into heavy sin in my 40’s and to go back to the sermons I heard about not really being saved. It is having me question salvation again. I went to the altar a few weeks ago at a different church I started attending and repented of my sins and prayed on the subject. My new pastor asked if I wanted to give my life to Jesus while at the alter and I did. He now wants me to get baptized.

I thought it was a one time thing. I’m So confused. And why do so many preachers say that if you fall back into sin then maybe you weren’t saved at all.v isn’t salvation a one time thing like baptism ? Then can you lose your salvation? Do I just need to repent and recommit my life to following Jesus and not get baptized again. ?

Thank you for any response

2 Likes

Hello Tricia,

You mentioned “giving your life to Jesus” and “repenting of your sins.” Those things do not save anyone – they are works. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

Have you ever believed the Gospel, (1 Cor. 15:1-4) that Christ died for your sins, was buried, and rose again on the 3rd day and have you ever put your trust in His finished, redemptive work on the cross alone for your salvation? If so, the moment you did that you were immediately and permanently saved.

If you did indeed do that before you were baptized, then you do not need to get baptized again.

Because they are Calvinists and preaching the “P” in the Calvinist “TULIP” which is “perseverance of the saints.” They will say you are saved by grace through faith, but if you are REALLY saved, you will have the works, you will not be living in sin, you will persevere to the end, etc. This robs people of the assurance that you can KNOW that you are eternally saved. Calvinism is from the pit of Hell, and has unfortunately infiltrated many, many churches.

Do not look to yourself/what you are doing for assurance – that is trusting in a sinner who will fail every day. Look to what Christ has done for you, and rest in God’s promise that anyone who BELIEVES on Him HAS everlasting life. (John 3:16, John 6:47, Acts 16:30-31)

I recommend checking out Pastor Thomas Cucuzza. He has sermons and resources that you might find helpful.

Here is a sermon called “Practical Living In Light of the Two Natures”

Here is a sermon series on salvation. I haven’t watched it yet, but it is based on the topics in his book (Secure Forever!) which I have been reading, and it is excellent.

Here are a few more resources:

https://www.youtube.com/@Northlandchurchstc/videos

https://secureforever.org/

https://www.northlandchurch.com/

3 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forum. There are many here that have wisdom far beyond mine. I am certain that others will help you too.

On the question of whether a child of 8-10 could understand what they are doing, depends more heavily on the maturity of the child’s spirit than age. Many people use the age of 12 as a guide since Jesus was 12 when he stayed behind in Jerusalem following the Passover. Luke 2: 46; 49 “And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking questions.” “And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?”

You know the circumstance surrounding your first time of being saved and baptized. Many people of all ages feel that they are required to conform in a church. Peer pressure or adult pressures are known to cause people to go forward. As I said in my prior post, at the age of 13 I went forward to make my public confession and was baptized immediately afterwards. The pricking of my heart by the Holy Spirit had started a few weeks prior. I made the decision to wait a week in hopes my older brother would attend the following Sunday. That was a mighty long week. Every day my mind was on giving my life to Jesus and scared that I would die before I could.
The preacher may be thinking about Jesus’s parable recorded in Luke 8, the Sower. Please read the chapter and as you do, consider what soil your heart was in at that time.

If you were not fully mature at your first confession, then this second time was, pure conjecture since I am not privy to God’s decisions, the Holy Spirit calling you to himself. At the end of Peter’s sermon on Pentecost, those hearing it were “pricked in their hearts”, and you said, “gripped me”. It is the conviction one feels when they understand their wrongdoings are counter God’s grace and seek repentance. How did you feel afterwards? Had you given yourself to Jesus?

If at the second time you truly gave yourself to Christ Jesus, then your salvation is locked in - sealed by the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 1:13 “In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise.”
Now we are not to grieve the Holy Spirit. As the bible reads in Ephesians 4 :17-32, we are to walk with the new mind, spirit, and strength given us.
John 5:24 “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation, but is passed from death unto life.”
Have confidence of your salvation!

On going forward to confess sins, let me say how I see it, please. IF your sin was publicly known and brought reproach on the body of Jesus’s church, then, yes, you would pray to God first, privately, then ask to be forgiven by the congregation. Their behavior following your confession should be one of forgiveness and love.
IF your sin was anything else, your contrite heart, heavy with the burden of the sin is to pray privately for the forgiveness of it. Once confessed, know that God has permanently removed it from His mind…as though it never happened. Your target is to love God. Love God and His only begotten Son and everything else will fall into place. Second to this is to love each other as Christ loves the church.

I am bothered that this last preacher would ask you to re-give yourself to Jesus. Every one of us still in our corruptible bodies sin - every day. We strive to be Christ like but fall short…missing the bullseye…that is what sin means…missed the bullseye. To be pressed to “give your life to Jesus” every time you sin is to make a mockery out of Jesus’s sacrificed purchase. The notion that Jesus’s blood did not fully wash away your sins because you sinned again is outrageous. Only God knows your heart. You know what you know.

My advice is to read God’s word for yourself. Immerse yourself in His Truth. Compare what I and everyone else says against the word. If we match the word - good, if not - remove yourself from these. Be baptized again? Not necessary in my opinion.
If this church requires your attendance, requires specific donations, or anything else in order to remain “saved”, run!

Blessings

3 Likes

I really don’t remember what was said to me or what I believed when I went forward in my younger years or even in my early 20’s.

I do know now and believe that Jesus was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died on the cross for my sins, was buried and rose 3 days later. He is the only way. I need to only believe in him and what he did for me.

I do not know when I came to realize that and it may have been the second time in my early 20’s . I think I’ve just heard some works based sermons along the way that may be causing me to question things now and may have caused confusion. So with knowing that Jesus is the only way and believing on him I am confused about the baptism.

6 Likes

Hi Tricia, welcome to the forum. Blessings. A couple of verses that came to mind maybe perhaps something helpful are:

Matt 19:14
1 Cor 1:14

Some churches believe a believer can lose their salvation. While others believe in eternal security once saved. Perhaps your pastor is the former? In any event i would concur that salvation is at the time of receiving Christ when you were a child. I might have missed this, but were you baptised at age 10 (or as an adult)? Was it kind of a public announcing of salvation? If so, there would be no need for baptism as far as i am able to tell in scripture.

However, if your original baptism was not as much in a sense of public attestment to Christ coming into your life, I would see no harm in your using this baptism time as a way of doing so. The thief on the cross was not baptised. Baptism does not save of course but honors the Lord in obedience. This would be an issue in your heart likely between you and Lord in how He is leading you. Again sorry if i missed this, but if you were not baptised before, maybe this would be a good time to take opportunity in this step of obedience. Being saved decades ago would not change anything in my understanding of scripture. I believe in eternal security. I do not believe one can lose their salvation. But churches do tend to differ on the issue. Hope this is helpful in some way. Blessings.

3 Likes

It is not uncommon for someone to get saved as a child and later come under false teachings and have doubts as a result. I don’t think you need to get baptized again, unless you were absolutely certain that you were not a believer when you were baptized before.

3 Likes

As has been shared - while both baptisms I know are important within the context thereof, a water baptism is only a public display that you’ve chosen to believe in Jesus. I’ve had many false teachings come my way and I had to wrestle with them till the truth came to light as well. When you get confused about it all, that’s Satan or his minions playing with ya.

Aren’t ya glad there’s no test before entering Heaven about things like:

• “When were you saved?”
  • “What was the location of your water baptism and where you received the Holy Spirit to indwell with you?”
  • “What was the specific time and how were you positioned when you were saved?”
  • “What color’s blue: True or False?”
  • “Did you drive to school or bring a sack lunch?”

I’d be thrown out before I even set foot in Heaven.

7 Likes