August 27, 2023: 1 John 4 -- Do I Believe Every Spirit?

Test the “spirit” of “Judging”.

There is a problem within the church today regarding “Judging”.

This is easily dispelled by realizing / learning, that to “judge” has two different meanings. In scripture we are told both to judge, and, not to judge.

There are 641 times in scripture, in the NKJV, that the words judge, judging, and judgement are used. It is important that we have a “right” / proper / godly understanding of this issue.

Two (2) “forms”? So what is the difference?

1. judge = discern / rightly divide
  2. judge = condemn

Know the difference, in each situation, and be aware of which form of “judgement” you, or they, or the scriptues, are actually doing/using.

One of the most commonly misquoted, out of context, bible verses there is, is often heard from the lips of non-believers, and sadly, from unlearned believers as well :

Matthew 7:1-2
1 “Judge not, that you be not judged.
2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.
(which form is this?)

When you read the verse(s), by simply replacing the words “judge / judging”, with “condemn / condemning”, or with “discern / discerning” you will usually be able to easily decide which is the proper “form”, in context.

(Now as you go through these verses, properly identify which “form” is being used, and some verses contain both.)

Leviticus 19:15
“‘Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly.

Proverbs 31:9
Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.

1 Corinthians 6:3
Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!

Luke 12:57
“Why don’t you judge for yourselves what is right?

John 7:24
Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.”

Romans 3:4
Not at all! Let God be true, and every human being a liar. As it is written: “So that you may be proved right when you speak and prevail when you judge.

1 Corinthians 6:2
Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases?

John 12:47
And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.

######################################

I don’t “judge” (condemn) any person … but I rightfully, and biblically, CAN and DO “judge” (discern / rightly divide) a person’s words, actions, and especially, their teachings. Why? Because doctrine/teaching is important … God says so, and because God calls us to judge :

1 Timothy 4:16
Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

2 Timothy 2:15
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Gift of Discernment - Dr. Michael Youssef -

Judging verses Discerning, Is There A Difference?