How Can The Gospel Help People Fight Satan?

If someone is demonically oppressed, not possessed, can the gospel itself help them to fight satanic influence? I am saved and I love Jesus but I am being harassed by demonic spirits. I have asked God for help and it still happens. So what am I doing wrong? I know a great many Christians don’t believe this happens to saved people, but I am living proof.
So, if salvation protects us from possession, why then is the devil permitted to hover over us and mess with our minds and sleep? I understand we are fighters and we are to pray and stay in God’s word. The gospel says that Jesus died for our sins, to take our place and relieve us of the sentence of death. Therefore, since death is no longer a threat to us and we belong to Jesus, wouldn’t it make sense that the evil ones would become weak in our lives? So, if this is so, why does this problem seem so insurmountable to me?
Is wanting to be free of harassment and turning to God enough, or is there more to safety from (stupid, irritating) demons than being saved through the good news? People who aren’t saved aren’t aware that they are being controlled by darkness, so I suppose it would be extremely important as a professing Christian to be able to explain this mechanism when telling them about salvation and how to defeat it. And, therefore, if I can’t defeat this annoyance how can I help others who may come to me for helpful advice?

5 Likes

I know absolutely nothing about you, so nothing I say will be directed to you personally.

That said, I have a friend that seems to be going through what you have described. I constantly pray for her and she constantly prays for herself. She is also seeking help from a Christian therapist and none of this has helped her. What do I think her problem is?

She was abused as a child and as protection she does not allow anyone to get really close to her meaning she does not experience LOVE. The Bible tells us how important LOVE is and how we need to both give and receive LOVE that has power. In any case, she avoids just the thing that she needs which is LOVE.

What does being around other Christians and LOVE have to do with being bothered by demons? Well let me say first that I do not at all believe that a Christian can be possessed. However, we are all being harassed by demons mentally. Certain thoughts we have are not are own, many of our thoughts come from demons. Well God has always allowed that and still does. He allowed that in the garden with Adam and Eve and still allows it as part of free will.

So what can we do about the harassment of demons. Well the first thing that I am sure you are doing is praying and asking others to pray. The next thing which is much harder is to build up our defenses. What defenses? The whole armor of God.for one.

Eph 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Eph 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Eph 6:14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
Eph 6:15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Eph 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
Eph 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Eph 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Secondly we need to fellowship with other Christians and give and get LOVE. This is much more important in the time we currently live in as per the Bible.

Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

So prayer, putting on the armor of God and fellowship with other Christians (personally not just Church) are all things we Christians need to do to build us up against demonic influences. The real power in building ourselves up though is giving and receiving unconditional LOVE. My friend does not allow for the very thing that will help her!!! Sometimes we refuse to do just what it is that will help us as it may be hard. No matter how much we pray, God will never force us to do what we need, however he will guide us as to what we should do.

1Co 13:1 What if I could speak all languages of humans and of angels? If I did not love others, I would be nothing more than a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
1Co 13:2 What if I could prophesy and understand all secrets and all knowledge? And what if I had faith that moved mountains? I would be nothing, unless I loved others.
1Co 13:3 What if I gave away all that I owned and let myself be burned alive? I would gain nothing, unless I loved others.
1Co 13:4 Love is kind and patient, never jealous, boastful, proud, or
1Co 13:5 rude. Love isn’t selfish or quick tempered. It doesn’t keep a record of wrongs that others do.
1Co 13:6 Love rejoices in the truth, but not in evil.
1Co 13:7 Love is always supportive, loyal, hopeful, and trusting.
1Co 13:8 Love never fails! Everyone who prophesies will stop, and unknown languages will no longer be spoken. All that we know will be forgotten.
1Co 13:9 We don’t know everything, and our prophecies are not complete.
1Co 13:10 But what is perfect will someday appear, and what isn’t perfect will then disappear.
1Co 13:11 When we were children, we thought and reasoned as children do. But when we grew up, we quit our childish ways.
1Co 13:12 Now all we can see of God is like a cloudy picture in a mirror. Later we will see him face to face. We don’t know everything, but then we will, just as God completely understands us.
1Co 13:13 For now there are faith, hope, and love. But of these three, the greatest is love.

I don’t know if anything I have said applies to you and if not, just ignore what I have posted. I do believe that someone needs to hear it though. I pray that you either have received something from what I have said or someone else will post something that is helpful. :pray:

God Bless!
Goodboy

11 Likes

You’re not alone in this fight!

I’ve dismissed what I wrote to you, Emily. It’s still visible, but I’m in hopes that others will intervene and we can dismiss what I’ve shared.
@FoxMan @Myrrh @Rosaliemary

7 Likes

What has already been posted above by @goodboy
and @Jon plus the account of Job and Peter, when satan asked to sift him as wheat. Sometimes God allows things to happen that we don’t like and sometimes for far longer than we want. However, it is always ultimately for his glory and our good. Though it doesn’t seem pleasant at the time, it is strengthening our faith, developing our pereseverance, etc.

8 Likes

Dear Sister Emily,

All of these replies are excellent Emily. There’s just one thing I would like to point out that may make all the difference.

It’s not just the words in the Bible that work to repel Satan and his demons, it’s “Faith” in those words and in God’s will to make it happen.

Just like in the scriptures where the disciples couldn’t expel a demon from a possessed person and Jesus could and did. You have got to have complete faith in those words for them to work.

We all only need Faith and the will of God to overcome any and all of what Satan has to throw at us.

God Bless and be with you sister, Emily!

Joe

10 Likes

Salvation does protect against Possession. The Holy Spirit given you cannot occupy the same vessel with a demon, and the Holy Spirit ain’t leaving.

You can be oppressed and harassed by a demon if you do not keep your relationship with Christ in order though. Look at Paul. God allowed a thorn in His flesh to keep him humble. Some say it was his physical eyesight, but I think it was a demon allowed to constantly bugger him about those he killed in zealousy of judaism to haunt him until his dying day.

Not saying Paul was out of relationship by any means, but if God can allow that, then it’s obvious it can happen to any believer not putting on their armor or putting on Christ as it were.

10 Likes

It is more accurate to say that speaking the Word towards any demonic or satanic influence is appropriate.

Jesus example in the desert shows this quite elegantly. Every answer to the devil was the word of God, and Jesus being that Word (John 1:1) is response to any evil.

The Word is after all, the Sword of the Spirit of God.

Understand though that it requires faith in the One who is the Word to chase the devil away.

11 Likes

Hi, I don’t believe we can be possessed by demons because we are sealed by the Holy Spirit. (Ephesians 1:13-14)

You have been given some good answers above! I wanted to add what has helped me in my journey. The following verses (and putting into actual practice) have helped so much.

You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You. (Isaiah 26:3 NKJV)

But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.
Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. (James 4:6-7 )

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! (Philippians 4:4 NKJV)

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - meditate on these things (Philippians 4:6- 4:8 NKJV)

Staying in the word daily strengthens my faith to resist the fiery darts of the enemy. And also something that has helped me as an easy reminder when I feel overwhelmed by anxiety, fear or an attack is the CALM acronym. ( I think I heard this from Tony Evans)

C elebrate Gods mighty power
A sk specifically
L eave it with Him
M editate on good things

Every time we put God’s word into practice, we get stronger-ready to stand firm another day. And when it seems hopeless once again, we step out and believe Him.

Hope this makes sense and helps some.
Blessings and prayers, Letitia

8 Likes

You are absolutely not alone!!!

I would venture to say EVERY CHRISTIAN is currently going through something at this time including me. I am not saying exactly what you are going through nor am I saying to the same extent, but we all are going through trials. Why? Because the end is near and our trials refine us and bring us closer to God. Why is God bringing us closer to him? So that we will gain rewards in eternity which will last forever! Just know this! God is concerned about eternity, not so much about this relatively small amount of time we spend on earth. So if we must deal with trials now so that we will have eternal rewards, a good father (God) will make that happen.

Just trust God!!! and lean not to your own understanding!!! You cannot even trust your own thoughts!!!

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Proverbs 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Proverbs 3:7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

God Bless!
Goodboy

10 Likes

Truly, all such good advice given you, here. The only thing I can think of that may not have been mentioned has to do with what Pastor JD shared in this Tuesday’s prayer service: “Why My Prayers Go Unanswered.”

If you have unfinished business between you and another of the brethren, go and take care of the matter, as much as is possible for you to do so. The rest is on them, but you will have done your part and God knows.

:pray:

10 Likes

Man, you all have provided a lot of really helpful advice and I thank you so much! Some points stood out more because they’ve echoed things God has sent my way recently and so they really hit home. You’ve helped me so much, all of you. Thanks, brothers and sisters!

13 Likes

I forgot to mention forgiveness which is extremely important!!!

Matthew 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
Matthew 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Not sure this applies to you @EdenRoseArcher (Emily), as you may have forgiven everyone, but if not then you need to. In any case I am sure that someone needs to hear this!

Just to be clear, some people think they have forgiven someone when all they have really done is swept the hurt under the rug so to speak. I would submit that true forgiveness requires a few things.

1. You allow yourself to truly feel the hurt and pain. This may require writing down what happened or actually telling someone like a friend, spouse or therapist how hurt you felt.
  2. You let the person that hurt you know that you forgive them by letter, phone or in person. However not recounting all of what happened, but just saying as example “You hurt me when I was a child, but I want to let you know that I forgive you.” Keeping it simple hopefully will keep them from denial.
  3. You no longer feel hurt when you discuss what happened to a friend, spouse or therapist .

I use to think that I forgave my old boss for something he did, but later realized that I always got angry when I spoke of the event. So I later truly forgave him and no longer got angry speaking about what happened.

While the main point is that forgiveness is primarily for our sake, it is also helpful to the one who hurt you. Do you really think they have forgotten what happened? Unless they are evil, forgiving them will sooth their conscious. So forgiveness helps both parties.

Here is something I wrote called “Empty Your Garbage” that speaks of forgiveness.

Picture this.
There are two garbage cans.
One is empty the other is full.
You have a piece of paper to throw away.
When you put it in the full garbage can it keeps falling out.
When you put it in the empty garbage can there’s no problem at all.

Picture this.
There are two people.
One has no built up unforgiveness the other has years of built up unforgiveness.
A small issue arises.
The person with built up unforgiveness cannot deal with the hurt of even the smallest issue and get angry.
The person with no built up unforgiveness can deal with the small issue with no problem at all.

Hopefully you can see the parallel between the two examples above.

In the first example all you need to do is to empty the full garbage can and it is now able to easily deal with the piece of paper. Also, it is able to deal with a large amount of trash without being overwhelmed.

In the second example all that needs to happen is for the person with built up unforgiveness to forgive everyone and they will now be able to easily deal with small issues. Also, they will be able to deal with large issues without being overwhelmed.

We are daily taking in (dealing with) trash (issues) that cause us hurt.
Forgiveness is God’s way for us to empty (release) our trash (issues).
Otherwise the trash (issues) continues to build up until our garbage (capacity) is full.
Once our capacity is full, even the smallest issue feels like a major problem.

Empty… Your… Garbage…

God Bless! :pray:
Goodboy

5 Likes

Yes, amen Joe. Resist the devil and he WILL flee from us. Putting our faith to the test is a daily walk and the more we resist, the less he will pester/oppress us, but until we are free from this sinful flesh, we will not be free of sin and the father of lies.

James 4:7

6 Likes

Amen Sister, Carol!

May God bless you with a most wonderful and blessed Christmas, if we’re still here to celebrate it this year! I really hope and pray we are not!

Maranatha!

Joe

4 Likes

Thank you so much Joe. May that beautiful, wonderful baby born in a manger rule and reign in your home and in your hearts this season and every day of the year. My prayer for this special day is that all would come to a saving knowledge of Him. There will come a day very soon when they will no longer be able to call on His name. Do you hear what I hear…footsteps?

3 Likes

What a great story. I often ask myself, “have I truly forgiven.” I ask myself many questions to get to the answer and often I have to search my heart and ask for help from the Lord. I have learned that forgiving someone does not mean there are not consequences from someone doing us wrong. Our memory reminds us of the wrong forever, but we can let it go and go on with our lives. Once we have forgiven that person, then the true healing starts BUT I have experienced many situations where the person has not asked forgiveness and will not. Then we again have to take it to the Lord as to whether we continue a relationship with them. The trust we had with them is gone and if they are not willing to make it right, I must let the relationship alone. My father was one who would not admit his wrong doing, but as God has commanded me to honor him, I would always respond in love and forgiveness. He died never reconciling his wrong to me or the family, but I was with him through his sickness and death because I loved my Heavenly Father. Gods will and commands always trump my will, but the big question for me is, if we don’t confess our sin to our Heavenly Father, does He forgive us anyway? I know the scripture that answers “yes”, but only to the believer, not the unsaved. So how can I do something that God is not willing to do? Am I better/greater than He? Just a serious thought. Hope you get what I am trying to say, dear brother.

5 Likes

Amen sweet sister Carole! :yellow_heart:

I’m adding these along with that!

‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭28:7‬ ‭
“The Lord will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before your face; they shall come out against you one way and flee before you seven ways.

‭‭Luke‬ ‭10:19‭-‬20‬ ‭
Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you. [20] Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven.”

3 Likes

God cannot go against his character. So while he wants to forgive all, unless they accept his free gift of salvation, that would go against his justice.

What God primarily wants is for us to forgive any punishment to the offender. Why? Because that is God’s job, not ours! :+1:

Romans 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
Romand 12:20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
Romans 12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

5 Likes

Thank you goodboy. My understanding of this scripture is that when we do good to those who hurt us, we bless them and pray for them. Coals were a precious commodity back in those days, so giving your enemy something so precious was a blessing. Now in my flesh, I would give them 1 coal, but the scripture says to “heap” coals of fire on their head. Give them an abundance of blessing. Boy, that is tough to do, right??

3 Likes

Dear Emily, what a struggle that must be. I simply say to keep resisting, keep praying in every situation and speaking the precious name of Jesus. The enemy will have to flee, dear sister. I have been through similar in my teens. When I got married, my hubbydude and I placed God at the center of our lives and home. Through the years we have been convicted of many things in our home that would invite or welcome the evil one and as the Holy Spirit led, we have removed them, i.e. movies, books, trinkets from family, and any music that is not edifying our spirit. Music has always played a big role in my life, and I like almost all music (except acid rock, rap, grung), so it was a battle to see that those certain groups could no longer occupy my life. Thank you, Lord for giving me a spirit of discernment. I hope this will help you think of things in your life that He may be leading you to do away with. Praying for you, sis.

James 4:7

4 Likes