Repentance & The ABC's of Salvation

Where does repentance fall in JD’s ABC’s of salvation?

Tom Hughes recently did a good talk on the importance of repentance, and I was always taught of the importance of repentance. Is it included in the quick ABC’s? I am wanting to create & print out ABC (ABC-R?) cards to pass out.

Thank you!

2 Likes

A= Admitting that you are a sinner is repenting because you are changing your mind from thinking you are a good person to now realizing that you are a sinner in need of the Savior. ~ as I understand it~

10 Likes

Repentance … has a “two part / two phase” meaning.

Eternal Salvation does not depend upon “repentance” (turning from our sin), as some incorrectly believe and teach.
That is impossible for humans born with a sin nature.

“Turning” from our unbelief is what saves, then, “Turning” from our sin, will follow.

In phase 1, we first must “repent” of unbelief, that is, unbelief in Who and What Jesus Christ is, and has Done for us.
The Holy Spirit does that work within us. Our part is to believe on the One who He has sent.

Only after that, can we “repent” of our sins, and that is a lifetime process called Sanctification. The Holy Spirit does that.

John 16:7 (Jesus speaking of the Holy Spirit)
Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. 8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me;

John 12:44-47
44 Then Jesus cried out and said, “He who believes in Me, believes not in Me but in Him who sent Me. 45 And he who sees Me sees Him who sent Me. 46 I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness.

John 3:18
He who believes and is baptized will be saved ; but he who does not believe will be condemned.
“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 3:36
He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

John 6:28
Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”

29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him (Jesus, God the Son) whom He (God the Father) sent.”

John 8:24
Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins ; for if you do not believe that I am He (God the Son, your Savior and Redeemer), you will die in your sins.”

Romans 10:5
For Moses writes about the righteousness which is of the law, (the Old Covenant) “The man who does (works) those things shall live by them.”
6 But the righteousness of faith (Belief) (the New Covenant) speaks in this way, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ down from above) 7 or, “ ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8 But what does it (the New Covenant) say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith (Belief) which we preach):
that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Acts 16:31
So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved , you and your household.”

1 John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

Bible Search Results:
“Repent saved”
Sorry, we didn’t find any results for your search.

Bible Search Results
“Believe Repent saved”
Sorry, we didn’t find any results for your search.

Bible Search Results
“Believe saved”
8 Bible results for “believe saved”
:thinking:

6 Likes

One further thought:

Did you know, that God, “repents” more in the OT than any man? Do your research folks. (Acts 17:11)

“Repent” does not mean to “turn from sin”, God doesn’t sin, God cannot sin, it is against His Holy Nature.

To “repent”, simply means to change direction, to change our mind, and when in reference to sin, will always come with a deep heartfelt sorrow.

This is why Salvation, is about “repenting” of our “unbelief”… about Jesus… and not our works.

Consider the Thief on the Cross, or the person who “believes” in Jesus, with their last dying breath.

There was no “time” to do the works of “turning away” from sin. Belief, and Belief alone, saved them.

Note : “UN-belief”

Warning Against Unbelief

Hebrews 3:
7 So, as the Holy Spirit says:

“Today, if you hear his voice,
8 do not harden your hearts
as you did in the rebellion,
during the time of testing in the wilderness,
9 where your ancestors tested and tried me,
though for forty years they saw what I did.
10 That is why I was angry with that generation;
I said, ‘Their hearts are always going astray,
and they have not known my ways.’
11 So I declared on oath in my anger,
‘They shall never enter my rest.’
12 See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.
14 We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end.
15 As has just been said:

“Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts
as you did in the rebellion.”

16 Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt?
17 And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies perished in the wilderness?
18 And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed?
19 So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

9 Likes

Well said :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also well said :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually when you dig into Dr. Arnold Fruchtenbaum’s material - the gospel (below)

Receiving salvation simpler than that. Pastor Brandon H often refers to Dr. Arnold.

https://youtu.be/Euvv_0dOCyE?si=u0IozGlLJQE86N63 [YouTube]

5 Likes

Awesome. Thanks Lya :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome @TCC

2 Likes