Garden/House Flags That Speak

We set up at a small local outdoor market yesterday morning on the first day of spring. Not many people. It was so cold though….and a Tuesday, which probably isn’t the best day for a farmers market to begin with. But I’ve signed up for larger markets throughout the rest of the year, at least one a month, so as my wife says, “this is practice.” I was still discouraged and didn’t even unpack the van when we got home. I just sulked for a few hours and asked God why. “Why are you authoring this directive in my heart to do this?” Anyone who’s ever said anything about them has absolutely loved them. But I suffer a certain level of humiliation when they don’t want to take one home and fly it.

But once I recalibrate my thinking and regain a flow of logic, it occurs to me that while
most people don’t even see the need for any kind of garden art, many believers are too timid to hang one. The topic of most of them are in-your-face glorifying God. As for the non-believers, once they get a glimpse of what the flags say, they stop in their tracks and veer completely away as if they don’t even want to see it in their peripheral. It reminded me of when I wasn’t surrendered to The Lord and I would do everything I could NOT to hear the Word or even go in to a church. They’re afraid of God.

So when I’m out there with the rest of the peddlers selling local honey, woodcrafted pepper grinders and homemade salsa, I’m actually witnessing to everyone, whether they buy one and take it home or not.

2 Likes