July 18, 2021 – Hebrews 6:1-6 - Keep Moving Forward

I remember having this exact same feeling. I would pray and not hear anything back, I began to really worry that I was not saved also. Remember the enemy is on a rampage right now because he knows his time is short. We are under heavy spiritual warfare. He wan’t to divide and make us feel hopeless.

I was in tears also feeling this way, I prayed to God to answer and He did, so beautifully. I read the “Jesus Calling” devotional every day and the March 10 devotion says it absolutely perfectly and put my mind to rest on the subject:

YOU ARE MINE FOR ALL TIME - and beyond time into eternity. No power can deny your inheritance into heaven. I want you to realize how utterly secure you are! Even if you falter as you journey through life, I will never let go of your hand.

Knowing that your future is absolutely assured can free you to live abundantly today. I have prepared this day for you with the most tender concern and attention to detail…

It continues, but this was given to me the same day that I prayed and I was absolutely set free by it.

Nothing can take you from His hand. Rest assured!

3 Likes

I also loved it, thank you for responding. I didn’t have to dust off the dictionary. I don’t know if I should be relieved or pout. :wink: Just picking on you in fun. I only wish that I had your vocabulary.

3 Likes

Very sweet of you Crista. Kinda gets me into trouble though too…lol…if you might have noticed here in there. Thanks for blessed heart. :heart:

2 Likes

Hi :blush: sorry for my silly question, a mere student here, but what is a Calvanist?

Pastor JD also mentioned this and I often read it here too.

Thanks and blessings!
Ann

2 Likes

Hi Beautiful Child of God, Ann. Awesome to see you on our forum. I have not had the chance to welcome you yet, I don’t believe. So welcome. And it is understood in Christianity that there are Calvinists and Armenians. Calvinists believe we don’t have free will but once saved are always saved. Arminians believe that we do have free will but can lose our salvation. Those are the two general camps of Christians. But Arminius was also a Calvinist. So its like 2 sides of the same ideological coin. I don’t believe either one of those are true. I believe we are just vapor. Psyche…lol…ok just kidding on that last one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But I don’t believe either one of those are accurate for real.

A Calvinist believes that we were chosen by God but most people will never be. That we are regenerated before we believe and so that may we believe. But the bible tells us to believe so that we may have eternal life. So it is not exactly biblical. But one can be saved, a Calvinist and not even know it because it has been in our culture for 100’s of years and is on the rise and has rock star level pastors – some of THE biggest names.

The biggest danger I found is that it can tend to form subtle pride of favoritism. Which the book of James equates with murder sort of…so yeah that is kind of bad. But it can also make people grateful. But the bottom line is: is it biblical? I have searched it out for 5 years. And the short answer is: no its not. The biggest theological danger is that it postures as inner knowledge of God’s will and escalates its theology over the word of God. So some how i gotta believe that is gonna fracture our personhood somewhere bad up inside.

They believe: TULIP

Total Depravity (you cannot choose Christ because your sin has broken your “wanting to.”)
Unconditional Election (God chose you and did not chose most others)
Limited Atonement (The cross only covers the sins of the ones he saved, not all humanity)
Irresistible Grace (you cannot say “no.” If He wants you…your His)
Perseverance of the Saints (If you do not perservere until the end you probably were never saved)

Calvinism was an early protestant answer to Catholicism (taking a lot of Catholicism with it).It gets pretty detailed. I will admit, there are some romantic notions about it. But the word of God is far more beautiful. It is a bit involved. I don’t mind answering if you have more questions. If you look up Andy Woods on Youtube, and also type in Lordship Salvation, well, that is hugely associated with it. Andy did a 6 series part on it. It is hands down the best online. Highly recommended if interested in further. Honore to have you with us Ann. Blessings. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Ed. And that you for your details. Have you ever considered the KADESH-BARNEA Generation (I know sounds kind of weird…lol) overlay addressing the Jews as an interpretational help to the book of Hebrews? It took me a while to adjust to all that. But as I have ruminated on it for just over a year it seems to actually have a potential of bearing of witness. If interested, yeah, Pastor JD’s message last Sunday would kind of be an intro to that sort of look into Hebrews. Blessings brother. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Look closely at that passage.

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves… “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
Matthew 7:15‭, ‬21‭-‬23 NKJV

This verse is for false prophets and the proud. Look at the focus (have not we) they are trying to save themselves. Consider the Pharisee in this parable:

Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Luke 18:9‭-‬14

Sermon on the mount is to show us how truly unrighteous we are but also that we would seek His righteousness and not our own. The fact that you hear these words and it affects you, is proof you are of the true sheep.

My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.
John 10:27‭-‬28 NKJV

Do you hear His word and its makes you want to follow the good shepherd?

Then He knows you!

Many will say to Him that day and say

“Saviour Saviour! Have not you redeemed me!”

And He will say “Well done”

6 Likes

Amen and amen. Love your profile caption. That should be a T-Shirt…and a whole lot more. Like fine cuisine for special occasions but freshly alive enough to enjoy daily. Sorry, we have a food thread here I can’t quite get out of my head at the moment. Well said & cherished. Blessings.

2 Likes

Thank you, my brother. A very detailed explanation. I always rely on my love for Jesus. Sometimes, I do away with the technicalities. Trusting the Lord that He loves me,that He will be with me, that I am saved and that I will be part of His bride in the rapture of the Church is enough for me. But as I go along and study His Word, and reading our forum, I encounter some instances that pique my interest especially if the topic is right smack in the passage that I’m reading.

I watch Andy Wood’s videos (PPOVs), but I find him very technical lol :sweat_smile: altho I know that everything is based on the Bible with passages that support his teachings, I sometimes find myself thinking how things become complicated haha! sorry about that. Oh but I love his prophesy updates, he discusses broader/different topics and updates that’s happening around the world.

Again, thank you. I can feel your welcoming hug and love for me and to all whenever you respond or answer a certain query. A very gentle and loving soul. Thanks! :blush::heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for this. :blush: very enlightening indeed! I am blessed to have found this forum. I am learning a lot from you guys! :heart:

Thanks and blessings!

4 Likes

Thank you! Such a very loving response. I am so honored and humbled when God speaks through me to edify someone else. It is not me but Him working through me. As Andy Woods likes to say frequently,

“People say the Christian life is difficult…Actually the Christian life is not difficult… it is impossible!” But it is the Holy Spirit in us doing the work, in my flesh dwelleth no good thing.

I love watching Andy and I get the same feeling sometimes that he is very technical (He is just being a methodical lawyer.) But I know that that is just my flesh, what he does makes my heart rejoice for love rejoices in truth. I love the power points too because I am a visual learner.

I pray the Lord bless you abundantly today!

3 Likes

Thank you. You inspired me to do more, read more and study more. The Word is our food for our soul and spirit, and we need it more now than ever before. :heart:

Blessings to you!

4 Likes

Deu 2:1-29 I believe is what he is talking about.

Verse14 And the space in which we came from Kadeshbarnea , until we were come over the brook Zered, was thirty and eight years; until all the generation of the men of war were wasted out from among the host, as the LORD sware unto them.

3 Likes

Hi Dallas. Thanks and yes. Kadesh Barnea Generation, to me, is helpful in how I understand exegesis for the book of Hebrews. One of the prime ingredients in good exegesis (understanding what is originally meant in the word) is context. Hebrews looks to parallel many thick nuances, sayings, ideas, pictures, and reminders of the Kadesh Barnea Generation. As the book is titled “Hebrews” and significantly borrows from the context and reference of the Kadesh Barnea Generation, exegesis would look at that as informing the reader of the book of its proper context in which to be understood (date of writing, to whom, surrounding cultural context, and customs).

Why I believe it is important is because there have been many diverse doctrines presumed when this is not applied. For example was the time Christ was alive mostly to the Jews, partly to the Jews, or to the Jews and the gentiles. Depending on one’s view of that a host of other doctrinal orientation’s flow.

Another example is Acts 2. How much of the church receiving the original baptism in the Holy Spirit was meant as a significant and ongoing process the spirit does in every age or was it more so significant to understand that event as historical? And how either way we look at that might inform upon how we understand what that all means doctrinally. Charismatics would say it is an ongoing event. Cessationists would say it was historical (with ongoing steadiness primarily accentuated mainly in history as the birth of the church).

So in understanding that the Hebrews letter is in tandem with the Kadesh Barnea generation, provides a lot of detail in what it is addressing (as Christ being the final implication of “promise” fulfilled). Historically, this would be understood as the exiting letter to the Jews because their animal sacrifices, temple, and national distinction was about to historically come to an end for 2,000 years. Something that huge in historical transition would qualify as properly supporting exegetical drive in the book of Hebrews. I hope that makes some sense in that.

Thanks for your post on this. Blessings.

2 Likes

It was in your reply saying ‘You never heard of it.’ Pastor J.D. talked about it in regards to Heb 6:1-6

3 Likes

Here is Andy Woods PowerPoint he used on his video teaching on that. It came from one of his professors in seminary. So the idea, as far as I know, was discovered by a seminary professor…but not sure what year or the original paper on it. If you come across please let us know. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you Teren for all your words. I really do appreciate all the effort you put into answering.
Maybe you were meaning what you wrote for Saved by Grace - I am not sure. If so, sorry for butting in.
If you did mean your words for me, then i am truly sorry. I don’t understand half of what you write most times.
That is no reflection on you but on me. I have a very simple straight forward mind and need things fairly simple. What you wrote sounds like it might be very interesting but it is way beyond me to get into a discussion about it.
I’ve tried following a few of the discussion you have had with others and I get so lost, so end up just scrolling past. I really hope that does not offend you. As I said, it has nothing to do with you. I am old and cannot think as well as I one could.
Maybe I just shouldn’t have bothered posting the thing to Kadesh Barnea in the first place. I will know better next time.
Again, I hope there is no offense.

About the video from Andy Woods. I did see that before but again could not comment on it. Thanks anyway. Maybe some others will watch him. He has some great stuff.

5 Likes

Yes, the one you are posting under.
Not sure if it was a prophecy update or a Thurs or Sunday Message.

1 Like

No worries. Yeah i do try to make things more succinct…but that will be a lifetime effort on part. :frowning: Thanks for trying and caring enough to consider. That is wonderful :). I posted a link to Andy Woods PowerPoint to his video. Maybe broken down like that you can go through it at your own pace. It is worth taking in IMHO. Blessings.

2 Likes

It was his regular Sunday sermon. Not the update. I am not sure where that is on his website. But I found it on Youtube under JD Farag’s channel. Blessings.

2 Likes