June 16, 2024: Bible Prophecy Update – Why Jesus Said To Remember Lot’s Wife In The Last Days

Just like anyone else I could be wrong, but please explain to me what Jesus meant in John 3:20 and John 3:21 below? :thinking:

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

John 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
John 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

God Bless! :pray:

3 Likes

Oh, dear Brenda, I too feel that feeling of dread for loved ones. The heartache is real and when the burning in my soul takes its toll on my physical body, I cry out to the Lord for peace and assurance. That is all I can do and as the song says, “a heartache here is but a steppingstone”. But until then we must keep singing and with joy carry on until the day our eyes behold that city; until the day God calls us home. God’s joy and peace are not anything the world understands and so keep crying and laying them at His feet. Your broken heart is what keeps you in tune with His. Remember, He loves them more.

10 Likes

Maybe we can take a look at what “evil” really means, according to God’s standard. Is it the worst of the worst intentions or actions, or is it anything short of sinless? Remember, there is no one that is good in God’s eyes, except for those whose sins are atoned for in Christ.

For starters, the following might shed some light:

8 Likes

I wonder sometimes if this heartache( that is now a constant, and mostly unwelcome, companion) is Christ’s way of allowing us to share in His suffering? Perhaps I need to embrace it, accept it, and remember how Jesus wept.

Carol Ann, I’m not sure that I’VE ever really understood God’s joy. I’ve felt the peace, and moments of sweet contentment and connection . . . But . . . I’m not sure about Joy. I tend to think of it as those feelings of utter excitement when your heart feels like it’s about to burst out of you chest. . . But Joy in the midst of pain or suffering?? I don’t know . . . I don’t think I’ve ever really been able to find it . . . Guess I’m glad that we have an eternity ahead in which we will be free and finally able to grow and become what we were truly meant to be. Don’t know if I’m really making sense here, but I still feel like I’ve got A LOT of growing and learning to do!

Thank you for your kind response. Love and blessing . … Brenda

9 Likes
2 Likes

Hi Brenda,
I don’t know if this will help, but I always have to remind myself that “God’s ways are not our ways.” and His ways are so far above our ways, that we are not able to really comprehend them for now. But when Jesus returns all will be made known to us and we will no longer see dimly, we will have crystal clarity for all time in His presence.
So for now I remain satisfied to wait for that day.
It is just about upon us !
We all have a lot of growing to do, it’s not just you.
Agape,
Ken

9 Likes

I was thinking the exact same thing in relation to Sunday’s sermon June 23, 2024: Bible Prophecy Update – The Final Lap
How much more can evil get? and we are only able to see a small portion of it because it is happening so fast.

4 Likes

Genesis 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

For me I would define evil different from sin (which we all have) while evil does include sin. I would define evil as a total lack of empathy and love. While I would not say that a Narcissist is necessarily evil, they are a good representation of what evil looks like. An evil person never does anything for a good purpose.

3 Likes

I hear ya, but personally I am not sure… The verse says what it says, but was or is that context specific? I’m probably not deep enough to parse it all out.

That said, either way, we both (or each and all of us here) trust God with these things. If I angst about my loved ones too much, I can get stuck. Looking forward to more discussion, around this! :smiley:

6 Likes

Looking forward with you to that day when all becomes clear and all is made right. Thank you for your insight and thoughtful response, Ken. I so appreciate it, and you.

5 Likes

The context of the verses is salvation which is what we are discussing. In any case, my hope is to inform not to debate. If you don’t agree, that is fine! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Yes, I don’t want to debate, either. I know your intentions are not that and neither are mine. It’s a detail—the question of evil—that piques my interest, though!

5 Likes

OK, hopefully this will help. :blush:

Some say aren’t we all evil according to the Bible. They say at times we are called evil in the Bible like these verses below.

Matthew 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
Luke 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Well the confusion is sometimes the Bible is speaking of what we do and other times who we are. In the verses above Jesus is speaking of things that we do. In the next verse below, God is speaking of those who are evil in their hearts or who they are.

Genesis 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

How can I conclude this? Well Noah and his family were consider righteous. Also, Lot and his family were considered righteous. So God chose to destroy the Evil and save the Righteous. This shows that all men are not evil in their heart or God would have destroyed everyone.

Yes we are all sinners and the Bible is very clear regarding that, but we are not all considered evil in our heart.

So let me illustrate the difference between and evil person and a sinner regarding salvation.

First let me explain the process of salvation using buying a car as an analogy.
When one buys a car there is really a two part process or two decisions that you have to make. The first is deciding that you want a car and then going to the dealer. The second is deciding if you want to buy the car the dealer is selling.

So salvation has a similar two part process. First you have to want to accept what God offers and be willing to listen to or seek that out. That is the first decision. The second decision is to actually accept what you have heard or looked into. Well evil people never get past the first decision. You see they are all about themselves and don’t want to accept anyone or anything greater than themselves with rules and such, just like Satan.

This is why Jesus says that those who are evil will not come to the light. They want no part of it. They do not even want to hear about it, so they don’t even get the opportunity to choose it.

6 Likes

THAT is His joy. It is not happiness or any human emotion but knowing Him and being secure in who you are in Him. I didnt understand what true joy was for most of my life but sure do now.

Lord, cover my sis with your joy today. Holy Spirit instill in her an understanding of that beautiful gift and renew it each day. I struggle with the sinful atmosphere that we live in and forget what you have already completed in me. Thank you for the gift of our friendship. May we share your blessings on us with each other and those who need your comfort and understanding. Praise your Holy name. Amen

8 Likes

I will come back and read this! I am seeing it as I get ready to go out to do some chores.

3 Likes

Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. 1Timothy 1:15

7 Likes

Well explained, Goodboy. Thank you for taking the time to illustrate this further. It helps me think!

6 Likes

sorry to be slightly pretentious, but, thank you for using the proper word here. too many ppl- most, it seems- say “peaks” and it bothers me. you’re my hero today

6 Likes

Alison, girl!

Nip it in the bud (not the hiney); cut the muster (not the mustard), etc.:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I don’t need to be a hero, but we can huddle in the peanut gallery together!

6 Likes

Ahhhhh . . . Thank you for this definition of what I’d struggled to define! And I so treasure your prayer! Thank you so very much for extending that gift to me!! God bless you who are such a blessing.
:two_hearts::pray:

7 Likes