Requesting insight on a gospel based dilemma

So many of you know i have tried to explain the true gospel to my husband who is Greek Orthodox.
I left the Eastern Orthodox Church over 3 years ago and gave not been back since.

I did ask my husband if he wanted to come tomorrow to Easter services tomorrow at the Baptist church I’ve been a member of since leaving orthodoxy.
He declined but thanked me for the offer. He knows I get sad when he says no to any invite.

But then he said , he’d come to the Baptist church if I would go to the Orthodox Church and he’s be willing to switch back and forth. I said then come tomorrow but he countered with “ we’ll start fresh” ( whatever that means ).

It’s possible he’s just trying to appease me but if not, I am seeking anyone’s advice on if I should take him up on this offer.

I’m torn because I do not want to reintegrate back into Eastern Orthodoxy given it’s very unbiblical teachings and mysticism.
However, I know the truth and if he would then come to the Baptist church, he could get some true doctrine and deeper teachings into scripture than he ever has before. He’s 64 and being raised in the Greek church, he has never attended any other church that is not orthodox.
It is actually prohibited by them to do so.

I have repeatedly interjected the faith alone gospel in discussions with him when an appropriate opportunity arises. But where he’d have to sit and listen to an actual sermon and based on his proposition, possibly many sermons as he would come more than once , if I go back to the Greek church more than once I’m mentally mauling over if I should just agree to it.

Everyone is welcome to share any advice , insights, pros and cons etc. because I’m not 100% sold on what God would guide me to do.

(Also, if it were ever to come to my kids seeing their dad venture from Eastern Orthodoxy into the Baptist denomination it could be a great influence on them )

Thanks to any who have any recommendations :heart:

11 Likes

I would go. When I married my wife, I was staunch Catholic and she was from Baptist. She “humored” me and came to Catholic church, even went through education classes to become Catholic. It was during that time when she questioned the doctrines during class that I began to realize that i didn’t know the Bible and what I’ve been hearing at church all my life wasn’t completely right. 4 years after getting married, I became born again! Paul would do anything to win someone to Christ.

17 Likes

That’s a sobering thought!
Thank you for your advice. :heart:

7 Likes

Yes, show your husband that you respect his traditions. Keep your heart guarded and point out to him the inconsistencies you hear. We keep praying his heart will be softened and God convicts his family traditions. Your husband might feel like he’s betraying his heritage, but ultimately, the path one takes to salvation is personal. This is the part when we must love God more than our loved ones.
I know that if I were in your situation, my stubbornness would keep me from walking into his church, but by “humoring him,” he agrees to do the same for you. BUT GOD will do the heavy lifting of changing the mind of your husband. We keep praying for him and for you!
Be patient with your family and keep on leading by example, Stephmerm. If we have no other mission than to lead our loved ones to Christ, no matter how hard, how long, then we have fought a righteous battle on our own turf.
I pray this day will be full of peace, happiness and joy in your heart. :heart:

9 Likes

Thank you Michelle :heart:

After pondering everything and realizing the same things unity e so eloquently pointed out, I’ll going to talk to him later today on accepting his offer.

I was a member for so long in Eastern Orthodoxy yet know the truth. So I will be on guard in a way as to hopefully start many dialogues on doctrine that he may be more receptive to because I am honoring his tradition and respecting his different beliefs.

Thank you so much I appreciate such wisdom.

7 Likes

Just remember Stephanie that you are the only light n love in Christ your husband has… God is the author of everyone’s life story so when God decides it’s time for your husband to believe in the gospel of Christ, the Holy Spirit will do the work. God is blessing you for loving him and planting seeds. :yellow_heart:

9 Likes

One True God, Almighty God. I grew up in a Baptist church and I thank God for the biblical basis of salvation they have believed in and taught ~ the One and only true Gospel, the Gospel of Jesus Christ ~ 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV. I also got saved through that Ministry. Back then, as a teenager- growing in the family of God, I have had questions and spiritual concerns. I had questions and GOD answered them in His own sweet time as I continued to seek His face, ask of Him and wait upon Him. Just to sum things up, James 1:22 KJV But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. John 13:35 KJV “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.” I just thank GOD that He brought me to one of the Calvary Chapel churches in California that preach the whole counsel of GOD.

4 Likes

As you pray about attending your husband’s church, ask God if He is sending you back there to witness to OTHER people who attend that church.

Answers with soft, gentle words spoken in kindness can be used as a bold firm witness. You know the Bible. If you are there for Bible study in addition to sermon, You may be able to help others! Perhaps it’s your mission field.

If he has agreed to attend your church with you, Go with your husband first to his church. Ask him ahead of time if wants to alternate, or go to both churches each weekend. I would figure out a way to go to both churches simultaneously. Perhaps you both agree to one month (or 4 weeks) of this plan and reassess at the end of that time. Put the PLAN on the calendar.

FYI- Instead of pointing out how “his church” is wrong (which we know it is); perhaps bring up an incorrect doctrine (just 1-2) from that days sermon, ask your husband if he believes it & specifically why he believes it.

You can always point out something that some people in Baptist churches believe in error. Baptism does not save you. Good works does not save you.

Just a few thoughts.

IMPORTANT: Remember, honey not vinegar.
Proverbs 31:26; not nagging wife: Proverbs 21:9 & Proverbs 27:15-16

6 Likes

That’s great advice!
Thank you.

I told him last night I was taking him up on his offer so we’ll see how this works .

Of note . I was a member of his church for almost 30 years. Knowing it had much wrong. I left 3 years ago for good. I will never become a follower of that church again, so I’m not worried about that. More just wanting to get my husband exposed to correct doctrine.

What will be most difficult for me is seeing and dealing with the priest to whom I sent a 4 page letter when I left that laid out an explanation using scripture to each unbiblical teaching they have.

I have since spoken to him when he was on a call with my husband ( on speaker phone) and he was kind.

The other congregants that know me will, I’m sure, be curious why I haven’t been in years and will probably assume I’m “ back” ( probably the priest too).

This church is 60 miles from our home. So while I’m absolutely open to discussing the truth and lovingly exposing Eastern Orthodox error with anyone there, time is not always on my side but if the opportunity arises, I will be saying as best I can in the time allotted what I feel the HS is pressing on my heart.

My plan is to discuss a teaching heard during a sermon and then as you said, inquire my husband’s take and respectfully discuss it.

I do appreciate continued prayers , one that he follows through with this offer and doesn’t bail on me , 2 that if we do this , he will start to comprehend that there’s a different gospel and just all around unbiblical teachings and 3, that over time , the HS opens his eyes to leaving orthodoxy for good and joining me in a biblically sound church.

5 Likes

60 miles. Wow. That is a LONG round trip drive! It must have been difficult to be active within that church and in that community. (Beyond significant doctrinal issues)

I’m hoping your current church is located closer to your home.

If people at his church ask “if you are back”, let them know that actually- you are active with a church closer to your home & also active with a church in Hawaii. That opens the door for great conversations! :grinning:

3 Likes

I returned to the Baptist denomination.
My current church is less than 5 miles from my house !!

My husband has not actually physically attended the Greek Orthodox Church since covid.
He now watches online.

When we did go, it too about 50 minutes there and 50 minutes back.
The service was about 1 1/2 hour. My husband was also on the church board as Vice President and when there was a meeting after church , it was another 2 hours.
So we’d leave about 8:45 am and get home anywhere from approximately 1pm on a regular church day and about 4 pm on a church meeting day.

To be honest , we have some good bonding memories of our Sunday road trips.
But unfortunately I had to choose doctrine over everything else.

Old church :

I am somewhere in the crowd photo

New church :

4 Likes

You should not go indeed (they will deceive you), except EXCEPT if God has a plan and he asks you to go!

2 Likes

Yes, they will deceive but I know their deceptions.
I’m only willing to go if my husband reciprocates and comes to the Baptist church I attend as he said he would if I’d go to his church.

I told him I’d accept his offer but he hasn’t said anything.
So now I’m going to ask him when we’re going so he can come to my church because I’m not sure his offer was legitimate or just so he could get me to stop asking him to come visit my church.
We shall see!

3 Likes

I pray he will follow through with the offer, Steph. And that God will use the opportunity in amazing ways.

4 Likes

I personally would not appreciate being manipulated like this.
would you? I believe that we are to live our lives before others (our husbands) and thereby win them over. It truly is a Holy Spirit work and I don’t feel I can lay a course for Him to follow…He knows way more than I do about what exactly the folks I’m praying for need. If it flows on it’s own…fine. If it dosen’t I feel prayer and patience is the better way to go.

3 Likes

@sojourner2
You can call it manipulation but I see it as getting him to a church that preaches the true gospel.

I’m not hoodwinked by the Eastern Orthodox Church but he is. And if it takes me going again to that church to possibly get him to the truth , then that’s what I’ll do.
Maybe God is creating this opportunity.

I have lived as best I can with a man that has been verbally abusive and even narcissistic as per many marriage counselors input. So when lush comes to shove I can deal with his ways and have for over 30 years ONLY WITH THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT…… without his help, I would’ve divorced years ago.
BUT GOD!!! I know for a fact that I am with this man for a reason.
Living my life in front of my husband has not been a picnic and I have been mocked and criticized for many years for standing on biblical truth and NOT caving to the works based / unbiblical teachings of Eastern Orthodoxy. I have been called a religious freak, lambasted for watching Christian programs ESPECIALLY anything about prophecy, told I’m crazy, threatened with divorce for leaving the Orthodox Church and much more. So maybe I am living as I should given what I could
say is a” persecution “ of sorts at least in a milder form than many deal with but persecution none the less by a man that tells me he loves me.

I am not perfect and I know at times I could’ve handled our differing beliefs better. However, my stubbornness and love for his soul, his family’s souls and my kids souls is why I’m still with him and why I continue to fight for their eternal destiny.
Yes, it is the work of the Holy Spirit but that doesn’t mean I do not take any and every opportunity to point them to the truth.

Regarding minding being manipulated: it isn’t new to me and it’s been a long emotional marriage and NO, I don’t like it but living with my situation doesn’t mean I can sit idly by, be a doormat at times and then when all is said and done explain to God Almighty as I stand before him giving an account why I wasn’t PROACTIVE in whatever way possible to lead him to truth.

He does not, I repeat does not read the Bible. He gets weekly sermons that are many times about church “ saints “ that turn out to be legends or fables and are not found anywhere in scripture. He asks me after a sermon by the priest if the story is in the Bible and in most cases , they are not but are merely stories passed down through traditions and speculations from one generation to the next. Yet, most in the church believe these stories to be biblically based. He asks me what certain biblical terms and phrases mean such as once asking what “ the blood of the lamb “means or during a documentary on the history channel about the tomb of Jesus and when they opened it
If and I quote, “ was he in there?”

There is an ignorance that requires purposeful discussion and correction that is a separate necessity aside from living my life in front of others. Actions are vital but so is verbalizing what is biblical and what isn’t biblical. It’s a lot of work and it is draining but it’s my Esther’s “for such a time as this “ existence and I’m ok with that.

The Holy Spirit will work as he wills and that includes working through me, a Jesus loving, heresy hating stubborn wife of a Greek man that deserves such a wife so that he can NEVER say. “Why didn’t you tell me”?

3 Likes

God bless you and keep you in your righteousness, Stephmerm. I’m in total agreement with your approach and never ceasing to point others in the way they should go.

I, too, have a husband who never read the Bible until he was railroaded, convicted of a crime he did not commit and sentenced to prison for 4 years where Jesus convicted his heart to use his time in prison to open up a Bible. He was actually witnessing to me from inside that place and I knew the Holy Spirit was working in our marriage and in our hearts… until he was released. He has all but abandoned his walk and we are definitely not on the same page, biblically, spiritually, intellectually, or anything. We now seem to just cohabitate.

I continue to remain quiet as pointed out in JDs Bible Study last week and was very encouraged by that sermon. I must continue to live and cohabitate by example with a man who says he loves me, but it under the curse of worldliness.

You and I must stay the course because I know in my soul that God is not finished with our marriages and family. Keep up the good fight and know I’m in it with you!

8 Likes

Thank you @Michelle for sharing your situation and such encouragement. That is more helpful than I can explain.

It is like cohabitating but I know it has a bigger purpose and there’s still hope so that does make it more tolerable. Many times I respond more in the flesh than through the Holy Spirit but I too am a work in progress and see God working in me despite me :sweat_smile:
I always liked roller coasters but not the emotional kind :unamused:…… but God!

Onward Christian soldiers🤺

7 Likes

I see this topic is a few months old. When I was reading through it though I was thinking - we really need to go to the Bible for the answer and this verse came to mind…[2Corinthians 6:17 KJV] 17 “Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you,” So, I wouldn’t go back into a ‘false’ church.

You know what I would do? Rather than try to force him to go into another church, why don’t you both start reading the Bible together - doing a daily Bible study? The Bible is 2/3rds Old Testament and 1/3rd New Testament so my husband and I read 5 chapters from the OT and 2 from the NT each day first thing in the morning. We let Alexander Scourby read it and we read along with him. Going right to the Living Word of God would be the most valuable use of time and you and your husband can start discussing what you think God is saying together cross referencing with other verses. Time is so short now, this is the best use of time.

2 Likes

I always like to be encouraging when possible, but I think this sounds bad with him. Have a look at this verse…[John 17:3 KJV] 3 “And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.” and [John 6:63 KJV] 63" It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life." and [Psalm 138:2 KJV] 2 “I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.”

So, the first verse says that it’s ‘life eternal’ that we know ‘the only true God and Jesus Christ’. The second verse says that ‘the words that I speak unto you’ that ‘they are life’.

You know the verse in Romans [Romans 10:13 KJV] 13’ For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.’ BUT I very rarely hear the rest of that verse quoted which reads in Romans 10:14 “How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard?” So, in other words, we need to ‘know’ the Lord who we are calling on. Which Jesus? Is it the Jesus of the orthadox church? Is it the Jesus of the ‘charasmatic church’ or the ‘Catholic church’? Just like if I say I know someone, but have never listened to hardly anything that they said, I would be just believing in a figment of my own imagination.

Hosea 4:6 reads “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.Because you have rejected knowledge, I also will reject you from being priest for Me;”

I think you not only need to know and believe in the basics of what the gospel is (ie Jesus died for the sins of his people, he is the only righteous one, he was born of a virgin etc) - but if you are believing in things like ‘I can pray to the virgin Mary and ask her to do things for me’ when the Bible says [1Timothy 2:5 KJV] 5 “For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;” So the Bible is teaching something opposite to what the Catholic church teaches. I am an ex-catholic and I changed my mind when I started reading the Bible and realised that there were tons of things in the Catholic church that were the opposite to what the Bible teaches. And by the way ‘repentence’ in Greek means ‘I changed my mind’. God is calling us out of false religion and tells us [Romans 12:2 KJV] 2 “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”

[1Peter 1:23 KJV] 23 reads “Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.” So the only way anyone can become born again is by getting to know the Jesus of the Bible, and since he is the Living Word of God, we need to study what he says so that we can recognise the counterfeits.

The only positive thing I can say is that literally every person who God has elected to believe the truth - will hear it, understand it and believe it. Jesus thanked God the Father that he has not even lost one. Just like God had his hand on all of the believing Jews in the Old Testament he has his hand on his own people today and he will bring them through this time of huge spiritual peril. Hebrews 12:2 says that Jesus is the ‘author and finisher of our fath’. So, healing someones blindess is entirely up to him. Thank God it’s not up to us. In fact [John 6:65 KJV] 65 says…“And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.” and the disciples that were following him were so angry when he told them this that it says in John 6:66 ‘[Jhn 6:66 KJV] 66 From that [time] many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.’ That’s because man wants to believe that there is something special or wonderful about themselves to make them choose God - but this isn’t the case. [1John 4:19 KJV] 19 reads “We love him, because he first loved us.”

So, man would never choose God of his own ‘goodness’ or his own accord, unless God heals his blindness first. I guess that’s why God says [Romans 3:10 KJV] 10 “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:” Actually the rest of Romans 3 is really revealing - he speaks about the total depravity of man.

So, it’s all up to him. He’s done things this way so that he gets 100% of the glory. I really hope your husband decides to pick up the Bible. It definitely can happen! I tried for years to get my dad to read the Bible and he kept on saying he didn’t want to. Well one day, he was rushed to the hospital with his main artery 99% blocked and he almost died. After his operation the first thing he said to the nurse was ‘do you have a Bible handy’?

Believe it or not, I was living in Australia at the time and I was walking back to work from lunch and this overwhelming thought came into my head ‘I want you to pray for your father that I don’t take his life today’. It was so out the of the blue and wierd and I silently started praying for him that God would spare his life, but also that he would make him want to read the Bible. And I found out when I had been praying this was the exact time he was in the ambulence being rushed to the hospital on the other side of the world. And I did a Bible study with my dad over the phone from that point onwards.

Psalm 110:3 reads ‘thy people will be willing in the day of thy power’. So, the good news is, if your husband is one of God’s elect, he won’t lose him and he will get him to change his mind.

3 Likes