Why would the YEAR of Christ’s death, burial, & resurrection be hidden from believers?

Sharing the gospel with a logical, factual, data driven person, likes history, father of my former Denmark exchange student. He speaks multiple languages & is Retired NATO Military official. We have had multiple discussions over the past decade, more detailed the times they stayed with me during USA visits. His wife speaks Danish & limited English.

In sharing the gospel message, a sincere question /discussion has come up - Here are parts of his email. (Edited & emphasis is mine)

“Jesus, would be the most important person in history. But the exact years when He was on the earth cannot be clearly identified & agreed upon, even within the Christians. With all the precise details in the Bible, many can be tied to well documented historical dates; down to the exact days /months /years. “

“Specifically, why the EXACT year of Jesus death, burial, & resurrection cannot be clearly identified in history.” “Oh, and that Year of His birth is not clearly documented either.”

“If Jesus is the most important person of the Bible- why are these important facts hidden in history and not written in the Bible?”

QUESTION:
Why would GOD not want us to know the exact Years that Jesus was on the earth? Why would God allow that particular information about exactly when Jesus walked on the earth to be hidden in all historical documentation?

——
Help! I have support for possible death burial & resurrection in 32AD. Have no idea what the facts & supports are for the other dates: 29, 30. I just assume I’m off 1 year (cause of year zero) for a 33AD.

I need help with a thoughtful & respectful & logical & factual & concise response.

——-
This is what he got as texts from my 2 sons: :roll_eyes:

*A) “You just gotta have faith that it happened” *

B) “The Bible gives us the Jewish calendar month & day, it’s in the spring Jewish feasts, but we do not know the year. Mom always has said 32AD, just ask her ”

5 Likes

Actually the Biblical answer, is easy. :slight_smile:

As with many other Biblical facts, relics, items … God does not want them to become "a stumbling block / a cause for “sin”, among His children.

God knows our sinful natures have the propensity to turn dates, items, and things into objects of False Worship.

Some Examples :

The Arc of the Covenant, Manna, Aaron’s rod that budded, Noah’s Arc, The Holy Grail, The actual wooden beams and spikes that Jesus was crucified on / with, the crown of thorns He bore on the Cross, a pair of His sandals, His seamless garment, His actual home locations where He was raised, even the whip that was used on Him, etc., etc., etc. ad finitem, ad nauseum. Is this making any sense? :slight_smile:

Look at the “Shroud of Turin” for example.

Objects, become Idols, becomes Idolatry.

What would mankind “Do” with the “Day” of Christ’s birth, or the exact location, or the swaddling cloths, or the manger?

A date becomes just as much a stumbling point as all the rest.

I hope this has answered what seems to be a very simple question. :slight_smile:

Leviticus 19:4
‘Do not turn to idols, nor make for yourselves molded gods: I am the Lord your God.

Colossians 2:16
So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

James 1:13
Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone.

John 4:24
God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

Lastly, I might say to that person :
“Did you know, that most people, will miss Heaven… by just “18” inches? The distance from their Head, to their Heart.”

Romans 12:3b
God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.

Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead (Trinity), so that they are without excuse,

6 Likes

Thank you for your response, Caleb.

I was overthinking it. I do not speak Danish, so I am extra cautious about all my wording with them. Meanings often can be lost in translation. :scroll:

I simply will stick to Scripture, it is what I am most comfortable in sharing. It takes me out of the equation! :computer: They can now use E-Sword with Danish Bible. Sadly, actual hard copy Danish Bibles are difficult to find.

I’ll probably use your statement to explain "God knows our sinful natures have the propensity to turn dates, items, and things into objects of False Worship. " and give them 1-2 verses related to things where God chooses not to disclose or reveal certain details.

There are details and dates we DO KNOW by cross referencing Scripture or can approximate with historical research.

Luke 3:1-2 gives us the approximate year that John baptized Jesus (28 or 29 AD) and Luke 3:23 gives Jesus’ age at the time of the start of His ministry (30 years old).

We also know there was 483 years (or exactly 173,880 days) from the date of degree by Artaxerxes Longimanus to restore and rebuild Jerusalem city and the walls to the date of Triumphal Entry by Jesus on donkey (69 weeks of years) Daniel 9:25-26 and Luke 19:28-40

What is crazy is I actually shared an Chuck Missler Bible Study on the 69 weeks prophecy here last week. I rarely post…

:bulb: Yes!!! YouTube settings have translated closed caption in Danish now. :tada: Plus, they can slow down the playback speed in options (Missler talks rather fast). They can back up and go forward as needed. :smiley:

Based on scripture, I do still lean to 32 AD. Could be 33AD. Knowing the year is not a salvation issue.

Sidebar: Have any of y’all had the SAME Biblical concept or related issues :palm_tree: :donkey: (not tied to trendy topics) come up in a VARIETY of numerous places and within highly unexpected discussions? …Okay, God, I’m listening. :bible2:

I’m going to Pray & Wait -perhaps a day- before I email them back.

6 Likes

The date of birth of Jesus is not stated in the gospels or in any historical sources, but most biblical scholars generally accept a date of birth between 6 BC and 4 BC, the year in which King Herod died. The historical evidence is too incomplete to allow a definitive dating.

The date of his birth, death, and resurrection are not really that important and salvation doesn’t depend on them.

What is important is that there is much evidence both Biblically and Historically to prove that Jesus DID LIVE.

Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

7 Likes

Hi Dear sister. Some resources you might want to consider:

Josephus – He was a 1st century historian and there are mentions of Jesus in his historical works. This does bear a bit of research as to how they apply.

Evidence that Demands a Verdict – There are 2 parts one and two with this title by Josh McDowell. They are considered classics. And contain more details about scirptural accuracy and surrounding details such as historical than we will likely have time ever to process. They are rich with data.

Simon Greenleaf – “The Testimony of the Evengelists” / " An Examination of the Testimony of the Four Evangelists By the Rules of Evidence Administered in Courts of Justice – This resource is helpful because because Simon was a Harvard Law Professor. And a total unbeiver who set out to disprove the resurrection and by that became a believer.

Simon Greenleaf - Wikipedia

Lee Strobel – The Case for Christ

. . . . .

These works are considered classics. And robust works in apologetics. I hope they are helpful. :slight_smile:

In addion, in some places it comes down to having an idea of how history actually works in scholarship…which could take some time to bone up on. But having some working knowledge of that will put a lot of speculation to shame…because most people don’t look into historicity or the philsophics of history and how we know what we do from antiquity. Understanding that can help to steer conversations in better directions. Better points of focus.

One over arching unmistakebale historic siganture is Israel. For 1500 years they did their rituals and animals sacrifices. Then, the first century came and abolished not only the temple and rituals, but animal sacrifices because Christ is the ultimate sacrifce…no more historic need for pictures leading up to Him. And historically, as Israel rejected their Messiah they went into diaspora for 2k years.

So:

• animal sacrifces for 1.5k years
  • animal sacrifces stop within 1 generation of Christ
  • animal sacrifces cease for longer than they had been going on for (2k years) – we have had ample time to see if they would come back

Blessings.

4 Likes

FaithHopeLove, just an FYI…

Beware of who you listen to, and share… not all have, or exercise discernment :

Tim Keller, is a bonafide false teacher.

https://protestia.com/?s=TIM++KELLER

https://disntr.com/?s=TIM+KELLER

1 Like

I am sticking with sharing Scripture. Got to keep it simple and in our discussions over the past decade, I have explained to them the BIBLE is Gods Word and it is the only TRUTH that any of us can trust. :bible:

Have no clue who that Keller person is. But thank you, some other people maybe blinded. :woman_shrugging: As for me, no problem, will not be sharing any of that.

3 Likes

he was referred to you on a post here on this page…

I see it now. Ok thanks. I had just quickly skimmed @TCC post & your Keller posts, Since they both referenced volumes of resources outside of Scripture, I blew past it. TL;DR (just being honest)

I am encompassing @DallasT Dallas wording on birth & scripture she posted. :+1:
Some of @Caleb wording as mentioned earlier.

I’m giving them Dr Chuck Missler’s Bible Study on 69 weeks to explain my view on 32AD (but will clarify might be 33AD)

He specifically asked in his email & my son mentioned it to him in his text. Note- It was small part of a Jesus first coming -fulfilled prophecy discussion we had together in sharing the gospel over a decade ago! :latin_cross:

4 Likes

Input here has been helpful. I was overthinking it. Worried about my words getting lost in translation & not trusting God to use the Holy Spirit to handle it!

This Denmark family has connections to NATO and worldwide ties beyond what I ever realized when their son lived with me.

I did not realize at the time the significance of various visitors from Brussels & Germany & Italy we entertained & welcome in our humble home while their son was here. It was just regular southern hospitality and we spoke of Jesus throughout each day like normal.

Yes, I’m still momma K to him. We talk often.

3 Likes

No worries dear sister. Just trying to be helpful. Those works are classics in apologetics. Caleb is correct though about Keller. Tim believes in evolution and Critical Race Theory. Its good to be warned about him. This apologetic work i posted though, its a classic and sound in the apologetics categaory.

All in all that’s aweome you found what you did with Missler in his langague. Wow. Praise God. :slight_smile: Blessings.

2 Likes

UPDATE – Please if anyone has noticed my post including Tim keller’s apologetic work, please disregard that source. I’ve seen some of his works in apoligetics and there are sound views. But upon review of a specific work I referenced of his, I doubled checked upon the dear humble request of a dear sister, and Keller did include his take on evolution in that work. Which is a horrific goof. My total bad. And my apologies for confusion this may have caused. I also apologize to @FaithHopeLove for not being more careful on that. At the minimum…i should have at least included a warning. Please do not consider Tim kellers works on apologetics as something to be considered.

Tim Keller is noted as a Marxists and he does hold to the evolutionary view of history. I knew of Tim’s beliefs but understood his apologetic books did not venture there. I was mistaken. My apologies. Truly. I would say these other works though are pretty solid. Tim keller was the wild card. My bad. Sincerely my bad.

My reason for providing these apologetic works was meant to provide well known sound accepted sources that in them would also likely include perhaps first century sources the OP had seemed to inquire about (how do we know Christ walked the earth). This request seemed to imply connections to first century primary sources. Of which Josphesus would be. I believe i was in the parameters of her request. I was also trying to be helpful in considering the person being witnessed to who sounded like an intellectual. These sources would apply. Keller was an intellectual. But not the right kind. My sincere apology in posting that. Blessings.

4 Likes

Thank you @DallasT. Your response was thoughtful, kind, factual, and concise. Could feel the Holy Spirit speaking through those words.

:bible: :latin_cross: I realized today that the verse you shared perfectly answered another topic / question within his email that I did not include in my original post. Woah. No coincidences with God! :blush:

5 Likes

Praise God.
Thank you for sharing that. I had second guessed myself and thought maybe I should have used a different verse.
No coincidences with God for sure.
Blessings.
heart

6 Likes