March 5, 2023: Bible Prophecy Update -- Waiting For the Other Shoe to Drop

Right, @Myrrh . I have heard things that perk me up and make me wonder. But honestly haven’t taken the time to go down that research path.
I just know I heard something from him at sometime that told me to be watchful. He says so many really good things and I used to listen to him while I worked in the kitchen. He was very encouraging. But the Calvanism. Yes that does make me careful.

3 Likes

I did not know that !
Thank you for the warning

The got questions is a concise explanation and is the closer to what I’ve always understood.

1 Like

Thank you for the input on Begg.
I’ve only listened to him a few times in the distant past and didn’t know about his Calvinistic leaning.

1 Like

@anon74937514 and @Bluebonnet, I had to finally resort to Google (I always use Brave search, these days, but searching is getting more challenging) to finally come up with something regarding Alistair Begg and eschatology. This is more FYI and aside to discussion, but here is what I found.

4 Likes

I was reading through the transcript but I got a bit lost with all of the stories he tells :laughing:
I will have to revisit this later when I get more focused.

1 Like

:face_with_hand_over_mouth: More fun to hear him than to read him. I guess I just skimmed for general drift.

2 Likes

Yeah, me too. It was easier listening to him while mopping the floor!

1 Like

Why if I quote a verse do people assume it’s out of context? I can’t quote the whole Bible that would be really long.

How is it out of context? God punished unfaithful, unbelieving Israel, He called her a whore/harlot, and he will punish Israel and the unbelieving/evil world again…during the end…day of the Lord.

I don’t see how I took anything out of context.

I did read the whole thing btw…sooooooo yeah it still says God divorces Israel here, because she plays the harlot. It goes into great detail in Ezekiel also.

Also, I didn’t say permanently.

Also yes… there will be those who reject God. Even Jews. Unless I have severely misunderstood scripture.

I even had my husband read the chapter because I really don’t understand what the issue is.

Jer 3:8 in context, says he divorced Israel.

As far as how that may play out during the end…I can only be sure God will be absolutely righteous and perfect in His dealings.

So…that’s all. I do appreciate your input even though I don’t really understand, you can blame me. Lol

2 Likes

@Bluebonnet also remember God’s promises do depend on the choices Israel makes

…I place before you a blessing and a curse, choose blessing.

Remember before God makes a promise there are requirements for us and the Jewish people.

If you REPENT… THEN will I heal your land (my people).

Paraphrased.

Look into it. When God makes a promise we have our end to hold up too. That’s straight outta the Bible. See for yourself.

Simple.

3 Likes

@Bluebonnet wouldn’t it be kinda weird if God made a covenant with Israel or anyone (He made one with Noah and all flesh btw too in Genesis)

Anyway, wouldn’t it be weird, if God made these promises but the Jewish people or anyone could just worship other god’s and be super evil but just say…well God promised!

Nah. God is way smarter than that. God has rules, and what He said is laid out way better in scripture; and in context. :smiling_face:

We must follow His commands to receive His blessings…God is gracious of course so don’t misunderstand…I don’t know ALL His ways, and his thoughts and plans…

They are higher than mine! :two_hearts::raised_hands:

2 Likes

Adding to the conversation with this explanation of God divorcing Israel.

7 Likes

Thanks for finding this, Stephanie. I was using the wrong search words on the site to find it.
So yes. The " Divorce " was illustrative, and not according to the Mosaic Law, which required that the husband couldn’t take her back.
This is the point of importance as the Replacement Theology crowd will use this to support their belief that God left Israel and Replaced her with the Church.
The context of Jeremiah 1-3 emphasized that He wanted Israel to come back and the "divorce " wasn’t final as the Law states.

8 Likes

It’s an interesting discussion!
I never really thought about this illustration much tbh.

What I got from it was that God
spiritually “ divorced “ Israel because of their spiritual adultery. But he makes an exception of “ returning to their husband” because he has forgiven them and “ takes them back”.

This would be indicative of God’s faithfulness, mercy and grace.

Replacement Theology would be like the “ new wife” so to speak :smirk: in that they have replaced Israel and now get the benefits of the “ ex wife”which of course is unbiblical because God is not a covenant breaker and he keeps his promises even to his “ cheating spouse “.

And as you pointed out , it’s illustrative and not a literal act in reference to the Mosaic Law.

4 Likes

If I am summarizing correctly, so then Casey, yes, israel must come to Jesus as we all do, but God also has not left her or abandoned her bc of her unfaithfulness as a nation and He will turn to her in the Trib and open their eyes and some will be saved. And, His promises for them will stand in the millennium. He will have mercy on her in the end.

6 Likes

Well stated. It gave me a new perspective as well. I watched the Jeremiah chapter 3 lesson JD did recently and he mentioned the illustration used was something Israel would understand given their knowledge of the Mosaic Law. He didn’t camp too much on the meaning of the word " divorce ", but emphasized the numerous pleas for Israel to return to Him.
It’s strengthened my faith and love for the Lord to see His steadfast faithfulness in keeping His Promises.

5 Likes

That was a very succinct reply @Blessed . Yes, yes, and yes!

3 Likes

It’s even more powerful than that because of the Abrahamic Covenant. God promised Abraham the land and a people as numerous as the sand of the sea and it’s UNCONDITIONAL. He will never break His promise to Israel. And as a result of that ALL the world will be blessed.

9 Likes

Yes, I believe Lee is a blessing to the Church and appreciate his hard work and study.

Shalom

2 Likes

“Well God Promised” if I believed in my heart and excepted His gift of salvation by the way of the cross. Yes, our sins are forgiven continuously past, present and future. If not, I will need to continuality ask for forgiveness to stay saved. That’s not a gift but a work if its required.

I believe Him and I am no better than Israel 1/3rd of Israel shall be saved as promised as they are the true Israel because they will believe.

Shalom

If he did it for us he will do it for them.

7 Likes

Well said! (“proton”)
Additionally, I believe that verse 8 also clarifies verse 3, further proving that
the departure comes first:
There are two 2 Thes 2:3 translations circulating among English Bibles:

1. “For that day will not come unless the apostasy comes first [AND]
    the man of lawlessness is revealed”
    or,
  2. “For that day will not come unless the apostasy comes first [THEN]
    the man of lawlessness is revealed”
    ??

In 2nd Thes 2:3, some translations show AND, while others show THEN.
So which is it? The Koine Greek words clarifiy it, IMHO.
The problem with confusion of 2 Thes 2:3 is that it’s original Greek word “kahee”
(Strongs G2532) can be used with DIFFERENT CONTEXTUAL MEANINGS:
kahee; a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a
cumulative force, that, depending on context, could mean any of the following:
AND, also, even, SO THEN, too, THEN; etc.

The Bible cannot contradict itself, so, verse 8 clarifies that verse 3 is best translated “then”,
because, unlike verse 3, verse 8 is from the Greek word “tote”, which (unlike verse 3), has no synonyms which can vary the intended context.
(Strongs 5119 “tote” is used in verse 8, instead of Strongs G2532 “kahee” used in verse 3.)
So: Verses 7 & 8, mean THEN, thereby clarifying that verse 3 “kahee”
contextually must mean THEN. (Because the Bible cannot contradict itself)

Conclusion:
Translating verse 3 incorrectly might lead one to (wrongly) conclude that
the church goes into the Tribulation … because (they) would believe they’ll
still be around to also see “the man of lawlessness” confirm the covenant
(Daniel 9:27), and that (to them) would disprove a “pre-trib” rapture.
ie; if Apostasia AND man of lawlessness have to both come first, it reinforces
that they are among those who have to “endure to the end”, and can
then say “I told you so” to all of “those pre-trib escapists” who will be deceived,
(as I read in many of the mid-trib and post-trib rapture video you-tube comments . .
and I mean only joking sarcasm here, as it’s not a salvational issue.)
At some point, we’ll all meet in the air. Amen.

First, the apostasia/harpazo/departure occurs.
Second (“then”) the man of lawlessness is revealed.

5 Likes